Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Ok, so last week up here in the Great White North, Canadian Tire had a special on their Supercycle Tourna Road Bikes. Normally $400, they were 60% off for a week. That's right - $160+tax for a new road bike. That is virtually free.

I have been teaching a Summer Triathlon Clinic for a few years now, and I often run into beginners on a tight budget who find buying a road bike a big investment for a sport they aren't even sure they want to do seriously. I spread the word about this deal, and one of my clinic members was willing to give it a shot. I joined her to the store to make sure the bike roughly fit before she bought it (eyeball fitting) and then she took it for a spin to see how it handled, and so did I. Afterward, my roommate and I made some adjustments on the bike (surprise surprise it wasn't built to perfection!) and I snapped a few quick pics. The pics don't seem to be posting properly tonight, but here are my thoughts:

- This bike rides like a road bike. Sure it handles a bit sluggish, has less than stellar grip shifting, and sports 28mm tires, but I feel I could teach road skills safely and effectively on this bike. It is also much faster than a MTB with slicks.

- The bike only comes in one size, which I am ashamed to say I did not take the time to actually measure. Standing over it, I would guess it would be a 53 centre to centre, but that is only a guess. For my clinic athlete (5'5"-5'6"), this was a touch on the big side, but she actually looked better on the bike than I expected, and was not stretched out too much on the hoods.

- I wasn't surprised to find the chainrings riveted together, the wheels held by bolts instead of quick release skewers, and other components requiring a wrench to adjust instead of an allen key. But hey, did I mention that this thing was <$200 taxes in?

In short, this was a good opportunity for a beginner on a budget to safely enjoy the sport this season before deciding if it is for them. If so - time to invest in a better fitting and better performing road or tri machine. If not, well at least they didn't drop a fortune.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's quite a deal. How does she like riding it?
Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the pics for you Mike. No comments on the mess please ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's too bad that it's not made in multiple sizes. It would be also an excellent deal for parents putting their kids into tri. For students on a budget, etc it's a great deal.

I did my first tri on an ancient old 12 sp with downtube friction shifting. I didn't know what tri was about and wanted to test the waters first before spending money.
Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a friend to Crappy Tire to look at mountain bikes.... a few had the forks on backwards. The pedals on the bike she ended up getting (from sport-chek) also fell off the bike during her first ride.

Thanks for the review! I saw this thing in the flyer a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well thanks a lot for telling me AFTER the fact! ugh I would've bought one (had I seen one). damn kids/people keep stealing my pubi-sac (flyer bag) in my building I didn't see the flyer! Seems like it was only in one size? what size? hopefully that'll be consolation if I wouldn't have been able to fit it.

Its too bad the only bike on sale this week is the "hooligan". hahahaha. I love the name. 160$

Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted the info on July 17th...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#897502
Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my bad. Sorry :P I should've paid more attention. Any idea on the size?

I better cruise the flyers more now - after putting powercranks on my commuter - I don't feel safe leaving it out in the open (I work in downtown montreal). And after moving this weekend I may have to resort to biking to work. damnit.
Quote Reply
Re: Review - Cdn Tire $160 Supercycle Tourna Road Bike [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, an unbelievable deal. The helmet I wore test riding the bike retails for more than the bike :)

She had been using an old, beater mountain bike which weighed about two tons, so needless to say she was thrilled with the improvement right away. One thing I noticed is that the handlebars were mounted poorly (instead of the hoods being roughly parallel with the base bar they were angled down by at least 20 degrees), so it was awkward and borderline unsafe for a beginner to handle and brake effectively with at first, but that was easy enough to fix. I guess at that price, you can't expect these things to be put together perfectly.

She rides it in her first triathlon on Sunday, and I am curious to see how she enjoys it.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply