Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure?
Quote | Reply
I noticed a lot of LP reports that included a liquid breakfast of Ensure, Boost or a similiar product that I thought targeted the geriatric consumer. Apparently triathletes fit a like profile. Anyhow, I've usually gone with something like a bagel & powerbar before a long race, but am wondering about just liquid to ease digestion. Are there any good/bad arguments to be made for eating only non-solids 2.5 - 3 hours prior to a race?
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the chocolate boost. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am always too nervous to really eat before races so Ensure is a good way to sneak some calories in regardless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happen to like Ensure, I think Boost is probably almost identical (like Coke vs. Pepsi, Mickey D's vs. Burger King, whatever)

I've become a BIG believer in liquid only for pre-race fuel, and at least 3 hrs prior to guntime. You can check out the Hammer nutrition site for more info about this (although they of course will recommend Hammer products for the pre-race meal, and also lower total calories)

I've used 3 cans of Ensure (750 cals) prior to my last 3 long races (2 HIMs and A-Z) and went with 4 cans (1,000 cals) prior to IMLP due to my knowing I'd be in the water for longer than most, and hence 'fasting' for longer before I could strap on the feed bag while biking. Worked like a charm. Plus it's yummy. And easy. And doesn't get crushed or spoiled or need refrigeration (although it does taste better cold)

While YMMV, I have had zero digestive issues using this strategy. Zero porta potty stops in the last 4 races (although I did pee off the bike quite a bit at LP)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanilla Boost is delish. Just don't get the kind with extra fiber.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boost is dairy based, Ensure is soy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok ML, dumb question. I should have thought about this a month ago but have a 1/2 IM this Sunday. Did you have any issues at all making the jump to that stuff? I know it's potentially idiotic to do on race day without prior practice, but I can test tomorrow am before an hour run and Thurs before 6am swim. Just don't want to have an 'explosive' start to Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it mebbe an hour before your run and swim, just with 1-2 cans for starters. I'll do that sometimes before a long ride, so I can get some calories in. I've gulped one down and then started riding right afterwards too, with no ill effects (but I usually take it somewhat easy for the first 30 mins or so of a long ride)

Or if you want a realistic 'race sim', get up 3+ hrs before your run, slug down 2-3 cans, then go back to sleep again, then wake up as normal and go run or swim.

IIRC, I don't think I had tried it in training prior to a race. I actually first used Ensure during a 24hr adventure race, at one of the TA's.

It's very mellow on the stomach (at least for me it is). While I don't want ya to come back and blame me if things go south for ya this weekend, I think there's less chance of that happening w/ something like Ensure than with whatever else it is you might have been planning on eating pre-race.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you speaking from experience on the extra fiber???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm heading to Safeway tonight and will push the old ladies off the Ensure if need be.

Bottoms up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENSURE

250 CHO, 6g fat, 200mg sodium, 410 potass, 18 gm sugars (mostly corn syrup then sucrose and maltose), 9 g protein from SOY and WHEY.

BOOST

Vanilla Calories 240 * Calories from Fat 35 * Protein, g 10 20 Fat, g 4 6 Saturated Fat, g 0.5 3 Cholesterol, mg 5 2 Carbohydrate, g 41 14 Dietary Fiber, g 0 0 Sugars, g 23 * Water, g 200 * Vitamin A, IU 1250 25 (50% as beta–carotene) (620) * Vitamin D, IU 150 40 Vitamin E, IU 30 100 Vitamin K, µg 30 40 Vitamin C, mg 60 100 Folic Acid, µg 140 35 Thiamin, mg 0.38 25 Riboflavin, mg 0.43 25 Niacin, mg 5 25 Vitamin B 6, mg 0.7 35 Vitamin B 12, µg 2.1 35 Biotin, µg 75 25 Pantothenic Acid, mg 2.5 25 Choline, mg 50 10 Calcium, mg 330 35 Phosphorus, mg 310 30 Iodine, µg 38 25 Iron, mg 4.5 25 Magnesium, mg 105 25 Copper, mg 0.5 25 Zinc, mg 4.5 30 Manganese, mg 0.7 35 Chloride, mg 340 (9.6 mEq) 10 Potassium, mg 400 (10.2 mEq) 11 Sodium, mg 130 (5.7 mEq) 5 Selenium, µg 18 25 Chromium, µg 30 25 Molybdenum, µg 20 25
*Daily Value (DV) not established.
[/url]

(Vanilla flavor) water, corn syrup solids, sugar, milk protein concentrate, canola oil, high oleic sunflower oil, corn oil, and less than 1% of the following: soy lecithin, carrageenan, salt, artificial flavor, VITAMINS (vitamin A palmitate, beta–carotene, sodium ascorbate, vitamin D 3, vitamin E acetate, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, vitamin B 6 hydrochloride, folic acid, choline bitartrate, vitamin B 12 , biotin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin K 1) and MINERALS (calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, potassium iodide, magnesium phosphate, zinc sulfate, cupric sulfate, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, sodium selenite, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, manganese sulfate). Contains milk protein.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Last edited by: infinIT 1: Jul 25, 06 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [WSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are you speaking from experience on the extra fiber???"

LOL. No. But you can try it and tell me what happens. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewwww. Corn syrup, sugar...lots of high glycemic stuff...and lots of OIL and/or dairy.

I'm thinking, stomach cramps and a mucus feeling in the throat (from the dairy).

??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That canned stuff gives me horrible gas. Horrible smelling gas pewww. I don't know if it's worse on me or the competitors behind me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*LOL* I agree. NO xtra fiber on race day or a big w/o day.

I like the chocolate Boost for a quick recovery drink after my w/os that are > 90min. Now I will have to try the vanilla just cuz it is so delish. ;-)

If I'm racing in the heat or if nerves have me around the neck (almost every race I do), then I take in liquid before I would take in a solid prior to a race.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sick thing is that many older Americans almost live on that stuff. Too bad, but I guess it is better than nothing.

infinIT Nutrition

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey now, them's fightin' words! I'm an "older American", and I go thru a case o' Ensure a month ;-)

Mike - saw ya at yer tent on Friday afternoon, wanted to say Hi, but you were in full schmooze mode w/ somebody, and I was still in panic mode trying to register and then get my bike fixed, so I didn't have time to hang out and socialize. Anyway, thx again for your awesome product, I just ordered some more (and it was like under a week from order to arrival at my door, very nicely done.) I'll wanna talk to you about mebbe modifying my special "IMLP1 blend" to making it into "Kona1" now.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chocolate Ensure... Never fails me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. Well if you saw me then you know I ain't no spring chicken either!

Yes, it gets pretty crazy in the booth. We get about 2-300 requests for formulations at those things. It is great but stressful and a ton of fun work.

Congrats on your performance, I would be happy to help out any time. Thanks for the props on delivery times, we have that issue behind us. Now if we can just get across the border to the great white north...

infinIT Nutrition

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I ordered a custom blend of your product for the first time recently and I am from Canada. It was delivered to me within 1 week. The thing that impressed me more than the quick delivery was the continuous updates evry step of the way... order confirmed...in production ....shipped.... everything was 1st class. Keep up the good service!!! Now i have to try it for the first time this weekend and hopefully it works just as good.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-race breakfast - Boost or Ensure? [j-mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are one of the lucky few. I think the "customs" people think that I am an custom anthrax dealer. Nothing like shipping white powder through the mail. Really it is about 10-20% issues, but that still is a high number.

We will be producing product in Canada soon and avoiding all these cross border issues.

infinIT Nutrition

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for the chololate Boost. I have used it immediately before, during, and after training and or racing. Transition area, long run or ride, etc. It is great! No ill effects ever and a huge nutrition advantage.

I got the idea during an ultramarathon in 1997 when a guy I was running with took a cold strawberry Slimfast out of a dropbag. He said it was like a treat half-way and a liquid meal in terms of nutrition. The Boost has served me better, though.

Ray
Quote Reply