Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Rash
Quote | Reply
I've got it. Knee, thigh, elbow - you know the drill. What do I need to know? Been a long time since I last went down...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brave soldier products

Keep it moist and covered. If it dries and scabs, then you have added 2-3 weeks of healing and itching.
Last edited by: mkmbharris: Jul 25, 06 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through this so...

Get all the road grit, dirt, etc. out a.s.a.p. Then warm bath soak, towel dry gently, Neosporin on wound under gauze or stick-free pad. Wrap wound loose and change often. Keep it moist and avoid scabbing over. Keep out of the sun for 3 months as this new skin has no protection and is subject to UV damage easily. Get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last 10 years. You don't want tetanus. If you're so inclined and depending on how bad and where the wounds are, you can use some scar cream after it heals up to minimize any scarring.

Happy recovery!

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this should be a sticky thread.

My absolute favorite. Clean with a mild soap and water solution. Tough stuff like H202 can actually cause more trauma. Make sure it's clean, clean. Small amount of neosporin, cover entire area with Spenco Second Skin. Cover spenco second skin with 3m Tegaderm bandages. The best part. Everything is waterproof (showers are no problem) and stretchy enough to continue training in. 1 week you'll be 95% there to a full recovery. Don't pull the bandages off. They should stay on by themselves for 7-9 days. If you still have a wound after that, reapply new dressings. Good luck - E
Last edited by: ErnieK: Jul 25, 06 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Keep out of the sun for 3 months"

This should be easy in Mannitoba. hehehe ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Everything is pretty much scabbed over (except the knee, which still needs to bend...). Did I miss the window of opportunity for the above recommendations, or is it still worthwhile to lube up and cover?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny girl! Shouldn't you be working on something right now...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it's not too late. Apply a thick coat of Neosporin to the wounds and cover them -- keeping them moist. The scabs will soften up and the healing process will take over. Scabbing is not good. Prepare for some itching at the wounds too. (don't scratch)

P.S. - I would soak in a warm bath for a half an hour, then do the above.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply