Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If Barry had not taken some extra measures and if there had been another serious accident, the ramifications would have been considerable."

What would have happened if there was a serious accident despite the extra measures? The potential is there for people to get too close when having to slow down for the speed trap. What would happen if there was a collision and someone went flying off the road at 35. What would happen if the real cause of this was the extra measures?

Boulder, as well as other popular biking areas, has a problem with cyclists partly due to the cyclists rampantly ignoring the rules of the road. Making stupid rules for a race isn't going to change that?

Don

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
partly due to the cyclists rampantly ignoring the rules of the road.

Unrelated to the boulder peak wasn't there a big spread about this recently in the daily camera?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Unrelated to the boulder peak wasn't there a big spread about this recently in the daily camera?"

I don't know as I don't live near Boulder. I do live in an area where there are many cyclists and it constantly pisses me off to see so many of them flagrantly ignoring the rules of the road. That kind of stupidity makes it less safe for me to be out biking and having some irate redneck do something stupid because he may think I'm just another one of the reckless bikers.

Don

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imposing a speed limit on a short section of a dangerous descent was perceived as the responsible thing to do and got favorable coverage in the local paper the next day. It had exactly its intended effect -- there were no accidents and cyclists got some credit locally for being responsible. Maybe that's not an important issue where you live. It's a very big issue here.

You can always speculate about what might have happened if some safety measure had backfired. What if someone got a bee under their helmet and died from an allergic reaction to the stings?
Quote Reply
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [Roadndirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the issue is about imposing stupid rules to bring us all down to the lowest common denominator, then that issue is beside this event. Olde Stage is a dangerous descent. I have done this race numerous times, and that is one nasty downhill. There may be races where speed limits are a politically expedient response to ignorant external pressures. Boulder Peak is not an example; that speed limit is a safety necessity, and was overdue. Interestingly, I did not do BP this year, nor am I signed up for any of the races in that series. But even I got an e-mail warning about the speed limit! I imagine this may be because they sent e-mails to everyone they could conceivably think of, including participants from previous years. If so, they've certainly made a reasonable effort -- and then some -- to get the word out.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ for speeding ;) ?? ;( BOULDER PEAK [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe the RD should ban TT bikes for this race. Make everyone use a road bike. hey I 'm being facetious, sort of. If the descent is that bad, I'd be using a road bike. I don't like the idea of a speed limit. What if my brakes overheated and I blew a tube. what if I slowed down and someone behind me didn't. what if what if. just because it plays well in the local press doesn't make it it smart. what the hell do they know in the local press.
If I travel to CO for a tri , it won't be that one.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply

Prev Next