Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM bike pacing vs. test ride
Quote | Reply
Hi,

10 days ago I tried the bike course of the iron distance triathlon I will do in mid August. It's a very hilly ride with 3800m ascension and the distance is 188km. (the winner last year did the bike part in 6h05min)

I was pretty exhausted after this and didn't feel like running afterwards. My time was 7h40min and now I wonder if I should try to keep the same pace in the competition or not. I expect that with 2 weeks of tapering I will feel stronger on race day and I guess that just being in the competition would help me go faster. What do you recommend? (I did not register my HR.)
Last edited by: Tomtom: Jul 25, 06 2:54
Quote Reply
Re: IM bike pacing vs. test ride [Tomtom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much did you eat during the ride?

When I was doing 100 milers I found out how much I needed to eat and if I didn't feel like running afterwards, I would eat 2 gells at the end of the ride and that would perk me up for a 30 min run.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: IM bike pacing vs. test ride [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's true that I was getting low on fuel at the end. Was feeling a bit hungry in fact. I was drinking only water, but eating about 1 gel + 1 energy bar per hour. That should total 220 calories/hour which seems to be too low for me. In the IM I'll be drinking sportsdrink in addition to water and I'll go for 1 gel per 30 minutes + 1 energy bar per hour + a small sandwhich with ham half way on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM bike pacing vs. test ride [Tomtom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just me talking now:

I find it difficult to eat energy bars while racing but it's something I don't practice now since I'm not doing another IM for a few years.

I like to come into T2 slightly hungry so my stomach isn't sloshy from fluids on the bike. Drink early, drink often, slow it down near the end of the ride. You can allways drink on the run.

Practice your nutrition plan, make sure it works for you. I don't know how big you are but I'm just under 150lbs and can put down 500cal/hour if needed. Try the drink provided by the race if you can, you may have to use it.

Good luck in your race

jaretj
Quote Reply