Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report
Quote | Reply
Day started off cloudy, began to rain during the swim, stopped about 45 mins in and was rather ideal for the rest of the day: sunny, then cloudy, repeat.

Swim began with Sibbersen out front, Dr Tommy (Evans) held his feet (very smart if u can do it!) the entire way and they had over a minute on the rest and really strung things out. Tom, I believe you might owe Jan a little spending $ : )

Bike: Tom took off, at mile 54 with two climbs to go, he had a 3-4 min lead over Beke (below)

Rhodesy (cool people call him Rhodsey.. was in the top 5 and looking good)

Jaimie Cleveland was in the 5th-9th range at this point:

Evans got to T2 with an 8+ min lead over Beke, and 12+ over Zyemstev. We all thought it would be Beke making a statement, rather it was Zyemstev giving chase... here is Dr Tommy at about the 11.5 mile mark with a 3:35 lead over Zyemstev.

It was at this point we thought the Belgian Beke would be the next one up... nope!!! Zyemstev looked great giving chase.

Beke was next by at 11.5 miles in, but it was apparent he had pretty much established 3rd... LONG wait until 4th place rolled by (at that time it was Rhodes and Luke Mackenzie, with Rhodes opening up a minute on Luke about 1.5 miles later, flying down the hill and giving high fives!)

Beke in 3rd with no worries:

Yasterbov cruising by (out of focus) to try an make up for his usual T2 deficit (he would later pass Rhodes for 4th place, and almost get run down by Mike Neil who showed major guts the last climbs of the run, when was the last time Yasterbov was run down!?) Hypothetical question, please don't respond fellow stat geeks.

The two Ukrainian dudes are the most focused runners I've seen, a stick of tnt could go off and I don't think they'd move...

Chrish MacDonald on what appeared to be a so-so day... people were ringing those anooying cowbells right at his ear level up one of the run climbs and he make a swiping gesture to knock them off, can't blame him. When you get cranky in an iron, sometimes those things can get a little nutty.

Chris: He held strong for top 10

Nice guyJaimie Yon (15th o/a) starting the run:

John Hirsch 9:45, holding steady:

Sorry to the womenfolk for no pics, since it was an ag race for them they kind of got lost in the packs. FWIW, the winner showed guts and ran right to the front and held it, despite a late charge.

I'll give the "guts" awards at this race to Tom Evans for his out front strategy, Rutger Beke for hanging in there despite not being "on", and Petr Vabrousek he went from about 21st after the bike, 11th after the halfway mark, up to 7th? at the end running down Paul Fritzsche in the final out and back.

Also, I was giving time / place splits out at the end of the first loop of the bike, and Petr and Jaimie Cleveland were in the best spirits being very thankful. ST's own Dev Paul, on the other hand, was the only person out of about 150 who didn't appreciate the place calling, took the time to stand up out of the saddle on the way by and say something to the efffect of, "You know, it doesn't matter right now where we are, this race is hardly underway.. it doesn't matter until later..." Um, okay, Tony Robbins : ) Funny, out of 100+ people he was the only one to take offense to free info. You're welcome.

Anyway, this is just an incredible race, great scenery, honest bike/run courses.

A few items of note: to you so-so swimmers, very staggered swim exits up until the 59:00 minute mark.. then big packs and lots of congestion, you don't like the contact of IMNA swims?? Become a better swimmer!

-For the umpteenth time: know your bike rules, saw passing on the right, crossing yellow line, ect. Not to start a gender war, but the worst few drafting cases I saw was a woman sucking wheel.

-Run downhills out of town: slow down!!!!! 4 hour marathoners taking off at 6:10 pace, holy crap! Hamburger legs later on. Downhills will make your quads mushy later on : )

-Not a good pacer? Go out too fast? Watch the woman runners: they were running very smart on a hilly course.

-A lot of men (and some women) in way too big a gear going up the climbs on the first loop of the bike.

Finally, good beer at the Lake Placid Brew pub, go there!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report Slayer.
Good advice at the bottom, couldn't agree more except I routinely disobey the tips about taking the first mile slow and using a not big gear on the climbs.

Missed you for beers but my Mom, Aunt, and Sister were pounding beers with one of your pals. I can't drink with them anyways.

Congrats to Dev for getting the Kona slot. Well deserved.

Big question: will there be a Slayer vs Slick rematch at Lake Plaster next year???????

I've got my slot.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my boy Tom (Tommy boy?) was laughing when he told me about the meeting with your relatives, too funny! I was busy arriving at our rented crack house late on Saturday so only 3 beers...

Nah, no LP for me next year.. I even left town early to avoid the temptation. My back is starting to progress and I don't know what I'll be capable of, I'll settle for a handful of halves next year for sure.

The plan is LP and either Wisc or one of the independents for '08... I can't believe we now have to plan TWO years in advance!

I will be back up there next year, earlier, with more brews and more split readings : )

Congrats Dev and all you guys who raced well on a hell of a course. Driving out of town is a real reminder of the difficulty of that thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nic Pics thanx for sharing.

I LOVE THIS !!! Not a good pacer? Go out too fast? Watch the woman runners: they were running very smart on a hilly course.

Nice photos. The part about Dev was classic, exactly what I would expect him to do. I guess you just have to know him to appreciate it. I was hoping I might run into you up there, so we could talk about metal bands. I was weraing my Mondo Generator "Cocaine Rodeo" shirt around town on Thursday, just to represent the stoners.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beauty-ful!

I got up there late with no real time to hang around town. I think I saw you out there, but the last thing I want to do when people are really suffering is call someone the wrong name / have them try to use energy to think when they are on the brink of self-torture..

I thought the Dev story would crack up a certain "smartass" here : ) ...

No harm done.. some of the things I've said during a race some years back, ugh.

Well done out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pics and great report , thanks very much for sharing ! Really gives a lot of insight and feel for ther race.

Congrays on your Kona slot Dev !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overall, the women did seem to go out a bit more controlled, while a lot of guys had stuff flying everywhere running down those first downhills!!

Hard to blame them though.. its so nice to get off that bike and start the final segment.

I ran into Carmen and the Psychos when I was finishing up a run when the leaders were finishing loop one of the bike. Mr. Cool was sitting at the top of the hill : ) Didn't run into them later, though.

Such a great race, I have even more respect for it now as a spectator.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slayer, great pics and awesome story. Dr. Tommy was totally studly leading for 139.6 miles! What a class act. At dinner last nite, he told me that he has only ever passed 2 people in triathlon EVER. One of those passes was yesterday's pass of Jan Sibberson. Otherwise, he wins races or gets passed. So he is very used to leading from wire to wire.

...and yes, I was a bit of an asshole at that point in the race for sure. The last thing I want to know is my place early in the race. In the past this has been a recipe for disaster. I DO wish we could tell our pace on run loop 2, but this is totally impossible with the 2 loop out and back format.

I hope your back gets better so we can see this legendary Slayer vs Slick smackdown soon. The rest of us have no hope with respect to giving Slick any solid competition (OK, maybe Kus or Triyoda if he gets his nutrition sorted out and his aero position cleaned up...)

All the best

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No prob Dev.. we all have our likes/dislikes when it comes to racing and spectator behavior. I used to get really steamed whenever a friend or family member asked "How are you feeling?" during an iron..

How the F do you think I'm doing 18 miles into this run... well, I'm wet, bonking, light-headed, nauseous thinking of one more goo or cup of gatorade, I've got a headache, it feels like someone is hitting my quads with baseball bats, and my feet feel like two overstuffed sausages... how's that for an answer!! : )

I'm still not a big fan of the question, but I now resist the urge the use UFC choke moves as retaliation.

I'll know better for next year.

Congrats on the Kona spot.. by the way, I know a dude who finished 40-44 one or two slots behind you. Any idea how many slots, if any, after you?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slayer....you described exactly how I felt from mile 2-16. Then my stomach settled and I ran like a normal runner...

For 40-44, there was 5 unclaimed slots out of 10. It rolled to 15 or 16th. All the studs like Mike Llerandi (mpl on ST) passed up, or other studs like Slick qualified elsewhere like St Croix, so there rest of us got super lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just got yourself a job there pally, that's a spectator race report. [u]

The race unfolded nicely for us watching, the catch was right at the corner of the final out and back, very exciting to watch. those sumbitches were moving.

Also very exciting - AG'r Molly Zahr winning the womens race. She was wet behind the ears green just 3 years ago and quite admirable work ethic and guts racing got her t he win yesterday.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Molly was quite impressive with the win.. I had no idea who she was; I have had never heard of her.

Just read Petr V's race report: flat tires! Now his 7th is even more impressive. It was a very entertaining race to watch.

Seemed like there was a low amount of crashes when you figure the slippery roads, decents going out of town, and 2000 people on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you ever want to get slayer back, next time hes racing and youre spectating, be sure to ask him how hes doing. and make sure youre loud. just go "ROB, HOW YOU FEELING? YOU FEELING OK?" and then make sure you spit at him.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2006: pics and spectator report [bulldoggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also critique my run form halfway thru a marathon, esp if you are overweight and smoking a cigar.. I'll never forget that one.

I think that was the only time I've ever wished cardiac arrest on someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

How to hang tough with a rotten stomach. I'd rather have any number of things go wrong before a knife in the gut, it's the worst and once it starts it ain't going away till you cross the line. It seemed like your cal intake was somewhat high. Think that's what gotcha? I know in my case last year I tried a custom formula with extra salt and caffeine and was rewarded with vomitting blood in front of my horrified extended family at the finish line, which only confirmed my family status as "the crazy one". I will never stray from Gatorade again. It's been a trusted friend.

Tom Evans is a total stud. I was at the Brew Pub on the second lap when he rounded in tendem with Victor. Tom tried a surge right in front of us which got a huge roar from the crowd. Didn't work but he didn't give in without a fight. How old is he? I beleive he is in our age bracket, eh?
Quote Reply