Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Southeast Michigan Riders: Road Condition Report and a Thank You.
Quote | Reply
For those of you getting ready for the upcoming Ford Ironman 70.3 Whirlpool Steelhead Triathlon and for the Ford Ironman Wisconsin events here is some info on the local routes we are riding on their condition based on riding them over past two weeks.

Also, yesterday we were out doing a 65 miler and Sarah had two flats in rapid succession. She rides 650c and we only had 2 650c tubes. We phoned our buddy Pierre who agreed to drive more spares out to us. While we were waiting we had no less than eight cyclsts stop and try to render aid- that's not counting the ones who rode by and asked, "...Got everything you need!?!". Eight! That really gave me a sense of community in the cycling world. Awesome.

Here's the local ride condition report. Note: Rides are designated by our name for the ride and a brief description of the route.

Greek Town (via U.S. Steel Facility). Ride from Dearborn to Detroit river on Outer Drive then Northish up Jeffereson through U.S. Steel facility under Ambassador Bridge on fort Street to Astoria Bakery in Greektown. Road conditions are normal to good. Pavement on Outer Drive to Southfield is in perfect condition and is brand new. One notice: Pavement at corner of Fort Street is completely gone. use sidewalk to cross this section.

El Supermercado (through Mexicantown under old, abandoned train station to Michigan Ave by old Tiger Stadium) Always a dangerous ride but in normal conditions. Broken pavement under bridges. Traffic, as usual, extremely high. As always with Supermercado beware of boy racers in tuner cars and pening doors along Mexican town corridor. Best done Sunday afternoon. Use caution on this ride. Not for people nervous about riding in extremely close proximity to traffic.

El Danger (connector to El Supermercado from Ford Truck Plant) Turn left at the Mosque at Sunni Triangle to enter El Danger, an excellent strip of pavement about three miles long that takes you to El Supermercado. It is named for graffiti spray painted on the wall of a warehouse there. There is not much about this ride that is dangerous at all- a good ride. Pavement is excellent but lots of glass near the Danto mattress warehouse building from an accident. Pavement under bridges is poor.

Sunni Triangle Instead of turning left to enter El Danger at the big intersection, go straight next to the Mosque. Large development on your left, Cemetary on your right. Enters El Supermercado after 2 miles. Good condition, pavement fine- nothing unusual.

Island Ride (Outer Drive to Jefferson/Biddle, Pay Bridge to all points on Grosse Ile). This ride is catching on as riders become bored with Hines Drive. All pavement is good to perfect. Pay Bridge charges .25 cents for cyclists. "Free" Bridge is more dangerous to ride on and farther away. Be sure to visit Bishop's Bed and Breakfast for coffee and muffins in the A. M. Pavement on East River poor (as usual) in southbound lane but good in north bound lane (returning). Pavement on Meridian excellent entire length of island. Pavement on West River very poor but ride is scenic.

Hines Drive The quintessential ride in the area, now linked to Dearborn through a dedicated bike trail built this winter. All conditions good to and from Northville. Very high cycling traffic on this route. Always ride heads up.

Garbage Dump Just north of Sheldon Road going out of Northville on 5 mile road past the two prisons. Danger: Extremely bad railroad crossing just prior to turn at the land fill. You must dismount to cross this. It is at the bottom of a hill so you are going fast. Slow down early and dismount. Otherwise, pavement is good and road conditions normal. On the way back through Northville visit the Tuscan Cafe' or the Panera Bread for refreshements.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Southeast Michigan Riders: Road Condition Report and a Thank You. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this some devious tatic posting route information and encouraging all the competition to do plenty of long rides leading into their steelhead taper ;)

I'll second the rail crossing warning though, its getting realy bad there even on a road bike I'd prolly slow and walk it rather than risk jumping the gaps. Definately not somthing you want to lead a large group of cyclists accros.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Southeast Michigan Riders: Road Condition Report and a Thank You. [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taper!?! Man, I'm just ramping up!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Southeast Michigan Riders: Road Condition Report and a Thank You. [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so happy to be tapering for Steelhead.
Quote Reply
Re: Southeast Michigan Riders: Road Condition Report and a Thank You. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered what was going on when I saw you, I'd have given you a tube to get back home.

That guy with the radio bike sure can go!!! He stuck with me a long ways down the road. Such a nice guy, wish he would wear a helmet.

jaretj
Quote Reply