Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Honest speculation needed [ZenRT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looking for an honest appraisal from some of the knowledgable STers.

As a kind of "home science experiment" I began SBR training (not racing) a couple of years ago just to see what I could do. This process has evolved into an injury free, consistent 12-15 hrs per week and had definitely been a lifestyle enhancement.

My current benchmarks in training are something like this: Swim (58 min 2.4m TT in a pool w/o wetsuit), Bike (260 w FT) and Run (10K 38 min, 21K 90 min.)

I am a 48 yo male and weigh 150 lbs.

Although I am not a real competitive person, I would like to take my fitness "out of the garage" and see where I am at. My question is to get a guess from STers based on this info on whether I would be competitive in my AG at the HIM distance. I don't want to embarrass myself if I am not ready to perform respectably. I realize that racing involves other factors such as nutrition, mental strength, experience, strength of the field, etc..., so I know this is all a guess/speculation.

Please, no flames. Thanks.

No flames. You would way underperform at the HIM distance, unless you did some other, shorter races first and learn a bunch about racing triathlons. Not just "doing" triathlons, but "racing" them. Your numbers are similar to mine (48, but I'm like 172, which helps me in the swim and hurts on the run), perhaps I'm a bit faster in the water (25:13 for 2000yd pool TT). How did you measure the 260W (duration of effort, which measuring device)?

I did 4:50 at Eagleman with inadequate run training.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a guestimate.

At 155 watts I'm going 21mph, I'm about 150lbs
At 210 watts I'm going about 25mph
Add another 50 watts, 27-28mph.

You're probably bigger than 150lbs

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuz they are just so much higher than mine and I'm allmost allways in the top 10% on my bike splits.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you would be surprised at how well you would do. We tend to compare ourselves with the guys on the podium but there are hundreds of people you would handily beat in a race.

I think you should just go out, sign up for a Half-IM, and execute your race the way you do in training. I guarantee you that you will easily finish in the top half but not as high as some are suggesting. I think you have to get out there to work on pacing and learning how to race.

Good luck.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Last edited by: Casey: Jul 24, 06 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuz they are just so much higher than mine

there are a lot of fast guys out there in just about every AG

analyticcyling.com might give you a better estimate of speed btw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, according to http://www.analyticcycling.com/

150lbs (68Kg), 11.5m/s (25.7mph) = 263 watts

Not too far off on my guestimate
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 24, 06 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to try the Triathlon Calculator at www.triathloncalculator.com to generally see what you are capable - on a good day. Given performance numbers like you gave and training volume it will estimate your race times for a given event distances. It was reasonably accurate for my last 2 Olys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Oh. Well, if he can only manage 25+ mph, and not 28, I'm no longer impressed. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know your just joking around but it seems like people inflate their bike power numbers like they lower their resting HR's

If someone can only put out 180watts and want honest input, just say it. You can be very fast at 180 watts but it just doesn't sound as good at 260.

If someone can put out 260 watts for an hour and are 150lbs, they are so awesome that they shouldn't be asking us questions.

jaret
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If someone can put out 260 watts for an hour and are 150lbs, they are so awesome that they shouldn't be asking us questions.

jaret

Perhaps he just doesn't know... and won't until he gets out there and does a few races. I just started using a power meter this last spring in a computrainer class and found out I could put out some pretty good power numbers - similar to ZenRTs. I had no idea what an FT was. I learned through this forum, Gordo's forum and CyclingPeaks.com and now have my own Ergomo to train with.

ZenRT, to give you and idea of placing in races, we have the same run performances, but I am slightly better on the bike and you are quite a bit better in the swim. I have been finishing 5th or 6th in M45-49 for Olympic distance races in the New England area races, but don't expect spectacular results in the first year of triathlons - just have fun, then decide if you want to get more serious.
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To paraphrase Yoda

"tri or do not there is no in between"

Sign up and race, you may even enjoy the taking part? I will never win anything in triathlon but I get great pleasure out of completing and achieving my own personal goals for each race.

Do I embaress myself, I don't think so, besides at 6'3" and 90kg it would be a brave person who would tell me that I had embarressed myself ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went 4:44 with roughly you same splits that you are talking about. I then went 4:23 later in the year with a 1:30 run where I bonked and lost 4 min over the last 3 miles. So if you cut your swim in half that is 29, if you put out 220 watts that is roughly a 2:30 then run a 1:35 plus transitions gives you ~ a 4:40 +/-

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you would tear up a lot of HIM courses. Get out of the garage and show the world what you've got !

Forget about the idiot calling you a pussy , he's probably jealous.

Keep us informed of your podiums , good luck !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, according to http://www.analyticcycling.com/

Not too far off on my guestimate
Yeah, right - now try using the same (default?) assumptions to calculate how much power would be needed to go 28 mph. (Hint: on flat ground, power scales with speed^~2.7, so we're talking another 70 W or so.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're probably bigger than 150lbs
Hardly. My "fighting weight" is ~148 lbs, although I'm currently a pound or two lighter than that (and only 142.5 after a mid-day, 90+ degree ride the weekend before last).
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! jealous? I'd kick his ass... if he had the guts to actually race that is...

Notice he didn't defend himself after I called him a pussy? Guess I was right...
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on synchro , don't be so predictable .

You'd certainly kick my ass though , in a race that is !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Honest speculation needed [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure did get put in my place for guessing 2.3mph off and then correcting myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah! Just don't let it happen again!!! We're watching you with calculators in hand. This is Slowtwitch for crying out loud!

Bernie

Quote | Reply
"(58 min 2.4m TT in a pool w/o wetsuit)

-------------------

I'm not gonna call anyone a pussy (yet), but you are one obsessive compulsive sob if you can actually force yourself thru and keep count of a 2.4 mile pool time trial. Daaaaammmmnnnnn, I find 1000 meter sets interminable and doze off and lose count repeatedly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next