Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NOTE TO IRONMAN NORTH AMERICA: 2000+ is too many! [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Joes logic. In races I try to get to the side, with folks who look like they are there for the same reasons I am, fun.

But, with that said, a race does not have to be large to have the same issues. In the SJIT last weekend, there were about 1500 folks. 12 waves starts. I started on the left side with very few folks and within seconds of the swim start, I had my ankle grabbed. I had folks try to swim over me more than once. And I was grabbed by some guy in an earlier wave for no reason. It was by far the roughest swim I have ever done and I had my watch torn off. So, what did I learn. No matter what the race size, the swim can always be tough. Having the mass wave starts has some positives since you at least all start at the same time. With waves, you catch up to slower folks, and get caught by faster swimmers.

So like someone said, either you start in front and stay in front, or wait 5 minutes after the gun goes off before one swims.

Bottom line, we all know the races that are huge. One of the reasons I choose to do napa rather than Wildflower this year is the race is just way too large if I have a choice. Having 4 hours of wave starts, and too many folks on the road with the bike is not my first choice. Any IMNA race seems like it will be huge. These do have some real positives, but also negatives. But, non seem to have surprises, meaning, you know all about races before you sign up. Pick the ones that meet your needs.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: NOTE TO IRONMAN NORTH AMERICA: 2000+ is too many! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck I totally agree about people rushing into Ironman racing.

Regarding peoples comfort level with mass swim starts and rough water swims nothing beats racing experience to learn what it is going to feel like. With the experience you learn to focus on what you can control and not worry about what you can't. EVERYONE IS GOING TO EXPERIENCE SOME PHYSICAL CONTACT, the key is to not freak out when someone bumps into you... just focus on your stroke. If you waste energy getting mad about too many people being out there or about someone hitting you in the head then you will only be slower and therefore have more time in the water to get hit more.

I have found my last my last 5 Ironman races to have been far less stressful than the swims I was involved in with wave starts in my first few years in the sport. It is amazing what a little experience will do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next