Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vineman 70.3 - bike set up
Quote | Reply
I am over in Napa on holiday from London and taking in Vineman, my first HIM.

I am a mid pack age grouper. Do most people in my position use a road bike with tri bars or do they use a TT set up?

Thanks in advance

Mark Gordon
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [Flash Gordon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea what most do, but I am setup with what I guess is a TT setup. The course, to me, is fast and pretty straight?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flash,

People will try to scare you with the sories of "Chalk Hill", but it really is a 5 minute push up a slightly steep winding grade. I did it last weekend with some friends and I was fine on my TT bike. I have a 12-25 cassette and I think I never used the 25. You will have plenty of opportunity to get Aero, it's not a terribly technical course. I'm a MOP'er too.

Have fun, race fast and be safe.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT set up if you have it.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a TT set up if you have one. Nothing very steep to deal with. Like Karma said you can do Chalk Hill in an 11/23 but I run a 12/25 because we do have some pretty good climbs around here.

I ride portions of the bike and run courses every week so feel free to ping me with any questions you may have (just ran up Chalk Hill this morning).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As low/aggressive as you can go. It's mostly rolling.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the odds of getting in from the waiting list?

Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave L. has said in the past it was real good. Have you signed up?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
contemplating it.

Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a great, well run race. Hoping to not get a flat since its the only race I can try to set a HIM PR, even though the bike is a little long this year. :o(

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. That's pretty unanimous from you guys.

Anything else that this Limey should know?

I imagine that it's pretty hot by the time the run comes round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, it has been, and can be VERY hot during the run. So, have your heat plans ready for the run. Hat is you use it. Liquid plans. Etc.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>I imagine that it's pretty hot by the time the run comes round<<

Depends on when you start. Early wave--will probably still be cool.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Starting at 9:30 last year, it was killer hot by the time I finished. Not sure when I start this year, but sure cant be any later. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing Vineman, too, for the first time this year and will be riding TT. Appreciate the feedback on Chalk Hill, the write ups always exxagerate to create some drama. For a PR, consider Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz...cool climate, and flat, rolling bike course up the coast out and back...yes, the ocean swim will be nippy....

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [Endorphinjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chalk Hill his only difficult for those that don't have the right gearing, have not trained enough, but most often for those that have ridden much too hard the first 45 miles ;)

Someone asked about the wait list? The earlier you get the entry in the quicker it moves up the list. From now until June 30th every time we get a withdrawel / refund we enter someone form the wait list. Past history has shown that majority get in from the wait list. This year the wait list is a little deeper at June 15th than years past. All deals are off after June 30th though ... no refunds OR wait list entries beyond that.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [Endorphinjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went up chalk hill with a flat tire last year just fine =) I can only see it being hard if you're pushing yourself too much right before you get there. If you have the time drive the course and you can plan ahead during the race. Easy recovery miles to start then lots of rollers before some flats and chalk hill. If you can stand and climb for a few minutes chalk hill will be fine. People who start later deal with more heat on the run so be ready for that if you are one of those people goodluck!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chalk Hill his only difficult for those that don't have the right gearing, have not trained enough,

Both of those describe my bike/me and I made it up just fine on Saturday :)

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't know the course, the smaller hills preceding Chalk will throw you off a bit....last year I had forgotten that was the case, thinking, "okay, this is the start of Chal....um, no, not yet" and then "okay, *this* has to be...shit, not yet" sort of thing. If that makes sense.

You're right in that it's not that hard, it's just where it occurs on the course that can get you if you're not ready for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]If you don't know the course, the smaller hills preceding Chalk will throw you off a bit....last year I had forgotten that was the case, thinking, "okay, this is the start of Chal....um, no, not yet" and then "okay, *this* has to be...shit, not yet" sort of thing. If that makes sense.

You're right in that it's not that hard, it's just where it occurs on the course that can get you if you're not ready for it.[/reply]

HA! One year I was Barb's Race and of course, started nearly last, and was passing people by the time we got to Faux Chalk Hill. All these gals were getting to the top and saying that it wasn't as bad as people had said. Had to break it to them that that was just a warm up.

Yo KestrelKerri--what's your PR at VM? I have a 1:12 head start. Think you can catch me???? ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) It CAN get hot, but it typically doesn't. I think a dry mid-80s is the norm, no?

2) It doesn't really matter how hilly it is, as you should be smoothing out your effort/power expenditure anyway. :-)

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 - bike set up [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave L., I assume you have the numbers, but more like the 90's, and it has been over 100. But, as you said, its always dry heat so it doesnt feel that hot, NOT.

Hilly, na, vineman is flat compared to what I train in. Right Dave L. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2o & Aztec ... AVG high for that time of year is a about 83 degree's ... HIGH temps the last 3 years on race day? '03 = 78 degrees / '04 = 79 degree's / '05 = 85 degree's. I believe these temps are taken @ the airport which is on hottest part of the run course.

SO .. last year was about normal, 2 previous were cool. In all three years we had temps in the mid 90's less than 1 week before race day ... 90's is possible but not normal.

Hottest part of the run course is Slusser Road in the little valley.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: Jun 14, 06 22:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, amazing how the temp feels so much different. Now, since most of the run is on the road, the temp is hotter than these. Not trying to say anything other than be prepared, drink the corrent amount of liquids on the run. I keep trying to do some training in the heat to be ready since most of the races I do get real hot. (From what it feels like. I guess if any really get into the 90's or 100's, then I may change my comments. Just like the vineman has not real hills. :o) )

Dave

Quote Reply