Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Rack Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
alright, I'm looking for a bike rack. I have Chevy Tahoe, so I can do a hitch mount, or possibly a roof mount if I feel like lifting my bike over my head and then step on a sidestep, all while hoping that I don't drop the bike and/or scratch up my paint job w/ a pedal (not to mention worry about a low tunnel or a parking garage mishap).

Anyone have any recommendations?

And, if you have a Softride bike, your help/experiences would really be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack Recommendations? [ktw70115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing you should do is call customer service of the different rack manufacturers and make absolutely sure the rack is compatable with your truck. I had a friend purchase a Yakima rack at a well respected high end store. The retailer had assured him it was compatible. Long story short...He could not get the rack off. Two problems, undercarriage spare tire would not allow full insertion of rack tongue, took out spare installed rack. This particular model you can hand tighten, but there was not enough room to use the removal tool. Luckily he called Yakima, they told him it was not compatible with his truck. They called the retailer and had them make it right. Ended up lifting the truck and cutting off the rack. And gave him a full refund.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd advise you to consider a roof rack as a last resort. Lifting a bike over your head onto the roof of any truck is harder than it seems. 20 pounds, over your head, standing on a thin shelf lends itself to a problem. I'm sure you can do it but I'd guess that you'll tire of the event very shortly.

If you can put the bikes behind the truck, they are out of the wind but they do get dirtier, i.e. your rear window. For dry drives, no problem. When it's wet, it can be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't put my Softride on any of those outside racks. I have this one:

http://www.rrbicycle.com/store/product893.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Draftmaster rack that I got a couple years ago and I'd definitely recommend it. It's a hitch-mount (2", not 1" hitch), holds 3 bikes, and unlocks/swings away from the back of the vehicle so you can still open the tailgate without having to un-rack your bikes. My only problem with the rack was that, while you can get a locking bolt to secure the rack to the vehicle, you couldn't get a locking skewer to secure the bikes to the rack. Fortunately, Performance is now carrying a standard 9mm locking skewer that'll work with any rack. I like the fact that you don't have to put your bikes on top of the vehicle, and they're somewhat protected riding behind it. Of course, aero bars stick up, so I still can't back into the garage with the bikes mounted...no big deal though. I think they have a website: draftmaster.com

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack Recommendations? [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my Softride IN the car. I would be comfortable putting it on a roof rack with a fork mount and rear wheel tray.

Always take off your pedals if you are going to have your bikes exposed on a rack for a while. I was at a race years back...bikes locked to the rack with "lockjaw's' (Yakima)...someone stole my pedals off the bike while we ate inside Perkins. I am still looking for a pair of white Time Racing pedals - circa 1989...I know they are out there (Start the music to Pee Wee's big adventure).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply