Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read your 'run the red desert' post about a trail half marathon - some great photos there. Your description reminded me of an Ironman run mantra I used at my final time at IM Canada - "run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just keep moving' (I think this is actually a Dean Karnazes quote, or close to one). Generalizing this beyond running seems to me to be a reasonable approach to exercise as we age. I'm finding that my willingness to suffer during exercise is more sport-specific than I'm used to, and not just running. I was never very good at this for swimming (but I was never a very good swimmer - I didn't learn until my late 40s), but I'm quite happy to train for and do bike time trials and road races so that appears to be a likely candidate as my replacement for running.

When I lived near Seattle there were large and well-established groups for almost every interest. Since we moved to a small remote town in NE Oregon, I've become acutely aware of just how much a sense of community these groups provided and just how much I took them for granted. For my interests there is unexpectedly nothing comparable here that I've been able to discover in a few years of looking, although I have made a few friends here. Combine this with existing research on how important numerous strong social ties are to combat the rise and risks of loneliness as we (and same or older age friends) age and it's significantly changed how we evaluate what places to rule in or out for the next place we move to. Preexisting communities of varying age, along with family, become more important.
Last edited by: chrisesposito: May 24, 24 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F*** me, what a depressing bunch on here. I've read them all. Man it's depressing.

For what it's worth I'm 76. Just ran a 10k after pulling a few muscles two weeks before the race and having to do a really long warmup and stretching routine just to make the start line after two weeks of not running. I intend to do a HIM later this summer and am already booked for an Olympic and a Half Marathon.

At 60 I ran a lifetime PB in a 10k (mind you I had never run a standalone before). Between 60 and 70 I finished 5 IMs and umpty other races.

70 I qualified for Kona by winning my AG. Didn't go because Kona scared the sh** out of me. Changed my mind and went and did Louisville the same day as that Kona and qualified for the next year. That year I did a lifetime best 40k bike in an Olympic and a lifetime best in a HIM and that was after trekking to Everest Base camp in the spring. By the way you haven't lived until you go a week shi*****g down a hole because everything in the hostels is frozen. I finished Kona, although I readily admit I f****d it up. Did get a nice little (smallest) wooden bowl (not the big one).

For those whose wives don't swim, bike or run I highly recommend ballroom dancing, any dancing for that matter, especially Argentine Tango. Mine plays bridge, I call her The Vet because she likes to put people down.

Both my parents died at 72, he was fat and she smoked, you can guess what killed each one.

Yeah I'm losing it and I'll never beat the buzzer on Jeopardy, but I'm pretty sure I can beat at least one ex president in golf and tennis and I don't need a diaper.

As for how we slow aging and death, reality is fat people on average live only about 6 months less than thin people and there's lots of people in their nineties that have never lifted a dumbbell in their lives. My wife plays bridge with a 96 year old, who's the second best player in the group and has never run a 100 yards, ever, except maybe to catch a bus. My stepfather was 94 when he went and to the best of my knowledge the only exercise he ever got was getting the beer out of his trunk.

If you wake up tomorrow, do something.
End of story.

Life is a race, to the finish.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: May 24, 24 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
F*** me, what a depressing bunch on here. I've read them all. Man it's depressing.

For what it's worth I'm 76. Just ran a 10k after pulling a few muscles two weeks before the race and having to do a really long warmup and stretching routine just to make the start line after two weeks of not running. I intend to do a HIM later this summer and am already booked for an Olympic and a Half Marathon.

At 60 I ran a lifetime PB in a 10k (mind you I had never run a standalone before). Between 60 and 70 I finished 5 IMs and umpty other races.

70 I qualified for Kona by winning my AG. Didn't go because Kona scared the sh** out of me. Changed my mind and went and did Louisville the same day as that Kona and qualified for the next year. That year I did a lifetime best 40k bike in an Olympic and a lifetime best in a HIM and that was after trekking to Everest Base camp in the spring. By the way you haven't lived until you go a week shi*****g down a hole because everything in the hostels is frozen. I finished Kona, although I readily admit I f****d it up. Did get a nice little (smallest) wooden bowl (not the big one).

For those whose wives don't swim, bike or run I highly recommend ballroom dancing, any dancing for that matter, especially Argentine Tango. Mine plays bridge, I call her The Vet because she likes to put people down.

Both my parents died at 72, he was fat and she smoked, you can guess what killed each one.

Yeah I'm losing it and I'll never beat the buzzer on Jeopardy, but I'm pretty sure I can beat at least one ex president in golf and tennis and I don't need a diaper.

As for how we slow aging and death, reality is fat people on average live only about 6 months less than thin people and there's lots of people in their nineties that have never lifted a dumbbell in their lives. My wife plays bridge with a 96 year old, who's the second best player in the group and has never run a 100 yards, ever, except maybe to catch a bus. My stepfather was 94 when he went and to the best of my knowledge the only exercise he ever got was getting the beer out of his trunk.

End of story.

This is the best post I ever read at ST.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k.)
I never did Triathlon. (Sue me.)
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

I friend of mine would say "Alive is a great way to start the day - take it from there"

"I get up in the morning, read the obituaries, and if I don't see my name, I have breakfast" - Carl Reiner (when he was 95 years old)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Sindre wrote:
As a non-religious person I find this interesting. 26% is significant. What is it that cause this population group to live longer. I't can't be the act of attending service per se. These people have to be virtuous in another way that is worth learning from. Less gluttony maybe?

nothing to do with virtue.. as RandMart says, it is mostly community I think. Also a sense of being useful, there are so many opportunities for service in the church - making/delivering meals to the sick, visiting the sick, helping with church events, etc etc. Most of the old folks in our church are quite busy..

As the study said, the incidence of smoking and drinking were less, and "Service attendance was also inversely associated with a number of psychological-distress outcomes (i.e. depression, anxiety, hopelessness, loneliness) and was positively associated with psychosocial well-being outcomes (i.e. positive affect, life satisfaction, social integration, purpose in life), but was generally not associated with subsequent disease, such as hypertension, stroke, and heart disease."

Dogmatic belief in an imaginary "big Daddy" and similar, has survival value in all sorts of ways... else it wouldn't be so common. I know that in the small town religious group that I grew up in, I really give the older women credit for making it what it is. Nearly all of them have worked really hard in service to their families and communities, and it is their identity. Long after their kids are gone and in many cases their husbands have died, they are still at it... taking care of their families and the community at large.

That is dying though... my generation (I'm 63) is not the same at all.
Last edited by: rruff: May 25, 24 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:

I turn 65 in a few weeks; a somewhat arbitrary marker but not completely so, as my 60s don't feel like my 50s and definitely don't feel like my 40s. This is both a blessing and a curse but certainly turning 65+ beats my never getting that old. A few thoughts you mention, along with a previous post about 'surrender' help illustrate what some of the central aspects of my 60s have been like; maybe this view from a possible future will help as you think about aging.

I'm far from the first 60+ year old to notice the reduction in energy on a day to day basis but it gets intertwined with a few other things. The reduction in energy shows up in other more subtle ways, as it effectively increases the perceived cost of doing some things, which indirectly changes the motivation to do them either at the same level or at all. Where it gets a bit trickier are changes in what you think you want out of life in your life at or near retirement vs your 50s - how much of these are driven by just getting older with it's various declines, and how much are changes in preferences. What endures or should endure as part of your identity or sense of self in your life, and what doesn't? What new things come into your life, and why?

I've likely already done my last century ride years ago; I've certainly run my last marathon, although I recognized neither of these as the last of their kind as I was doing them. However, it's been barely more than a month since the filing of what will probably be my 18th and 19th patents. The end of work is a bit more foreseeable - another year or two at most of full time work will be it. I may choose to teach part-time at that point, I may not. After a long career in tech, I've found full-time teaching to be as fulfilling as I hoped but it too will end at some point. At that point (if not before), we move back to be nearer to family and old friends. While I know people who have worked well into their 70s and enjoyed it, I don't want to be someone whose last healthy years were spent in an office.

I'm not sure I'll ever run again but it's not due to injury or disability. I'm a whole lot slower, it takes a great deal more effort to even be slower, and I simply enjoy it a lot less. As this year would be my 53rd year of running I'm conflicted about giving it up as it has been such a big part of my athletic life. Am I giving up too soon, or has running simply had a good run, so to speak, but it's done. I may give it another try this fall after I'm done with some bike events I'm training for. As you mention, long time endurance athletes get good at being comfortable with being uncomfortable. Maybe the next step is to figure out what things are worth being uncomfortable for and why. As I've dropped off in my running I've discovered that I enjoy swimming more now than I ever used to; it has an almost meditative aspect to it I've not noticed before. I've restarted my attempts to learn to play the piano (it's as hard as I remember) and am looking forward to finally learning to cook. Having our Frenchie take me out for daily walks is good too :-)

I am 6 years behind you, but everything you say I grapple with. I was at a family wedding where I met friends and extended family who I have not seen for 30 years (many last time was when my sister was married, this time, her daughter's wedding). In between a lot of life happened for everyone. Largely, I am one of three people still active. As I had no access to a bike or pool, I was running every day. One day I have 75 min to kill while my EV was charging and as the charger was at a trailhead with a round trip 8 mile run (Mario Cuomo bridge connecting Tarrytown NY to NJ side), I just decided to use the 75 min to do the 8 mile round trip.

Almost every run I ask myself "Why do you even bother running ???....you are so slow and pathetic compared to when you ACTUALLY RAN !!!"

Most of my runs are 20 min jogs to the pool, 15 min transition runs off the bike, 20-30 min jogs after swimming. That's 5 days per week of just shuffling around barely faster than a powerhike.

On weekends often I will do 1 hrs "real runs" both days.

Literally the only reason I keep running is so I have the "option" of this fitness outlet as an easily accessible run such as during the impromptu bridge run (by the way, the experience was awesome, the running a bit better than totally pathetic, but better than sitting on a park bench surfing the internet on my phone, a bit better than 1 hrs walk, but not as fun as a 75 min hard swim or 75 min hard ride.

BUT....I had the option

...and this is why I keep doing all those stupid shuffle runs that are 15-30 min 5 days per week. I get limited joy out of them. They feel like a chore, but its 'use it or lose it" and I am not ready to lose it.

And being in the verge of losing running permanently is a nice window into overall mortality. Eventually you are on the verge of losing your life from little things.

Also on your point of swimming, this weekend I missed masters swimming nationals. I got into swimming big time in 2016 when I could not walk from an accident, and its been a game changer in terms of quality of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

End of story.

As a result of this post you are being entered in the 200 fly and 400IM at the next swim meet to add to the 200IM that I shamed you into three years after 2019 Kona race. When do you enter 80-84? There are some records that need to go down !!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree

And I’m gonna remember ‘the vet’ nickname 😂
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is Kieth Richard’s secret?
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ðŸŠðŸ¼â€â™€ï¸ðŸ¤£ðŸ§­ðŸ¦¨
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:

Experimental infusion of cockroach DNA after one of his '60s ODs...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is pretty well known what habits contribute to longer than normal lifespan and vigor well into older age. You just have to look at the studies of populations in blue zones. Even in that case those are just averages. You can do everything right and get cancer. Or have bad luck and have early cardiac disease etc. As a family doc my oldest current pt is 104. I don't think he did anything particularly special but stayed at ideal weight didn't smoke as far as I can tell ate moderate diet etc.

I have seen a fair number of retired female teachers or librarian types at below average weight make it to late 90s or even 100. One lady drew a teachers pension possibly longer than she worked for it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think he did anything particularly special but stayed at ideal weight

I have seen a fair number of retired female teachers or librarian types at below average weight make it to late 90s or even 100//

Well in a country where basically 2/3 of the population is overweight, and a huge % of those are obese, I guess you could say they all did something special as compared to their peers..

Yes there are a ton of factors that go into this, but other than heredity where you have no choice, keeping a low and proper weight is probably #1 on the list of things you can do..
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [Sindre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sindre wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

We'll I'm not sure if there is a Jenny Craig life expectancy study, but there is one on going to church:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32793951
"compared with those who never attended religious services, individuals who attended services at least once per week had a lower risk of all-cause mortality by 26%"

As a non-religious person I find this interesting. 26% is significant. What is it that cause this population group to live longer. I't can't be the act of attending service per se. These people have to be virtuous in another way that is worth learning from. Less gluttony maybe?

I think all the Blue Zone people tend to be religious. For the Japanese it is Shinto. Also seventh day adventists, catholics in the bunch. Church gives them a sense of belonging and community. Not feeling like you are alone is a big stress reliever. Having a sense of purpose in life connected to a higher power gives a sense of security. Loneliness is deadly.

Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't think he did anything particularly special but stayed at ideal weight

I have seen a fair number of retired female teachers or librarian types at below average weight make it to late 90s or even 100//

Well in a country where basically 2/3 of the population is overweight, and a huge % of those are obese, I guess you could say they all did something special as compared to their peers..

Yes there are a ton of factors that go into this, but other than heredity where you have no choice, keeping a low and proper weight is probably #1 on the list of things you can do..

My mom is 86 we just moved her in with us about a month ago. She has had diabetes for 40 years. I think it was like 15 years ago she had quad bypass. She is really perking up with the stimulation of being involved with me and my wife. She is about 30 pds overweight though. I am amazed at home much she eats more than me I think. I think being in assisted living was not good for that. I'm getting her to gradually reduce her insulin because her sugars are going down. Hopefully she will start losing wt

Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:

What kind of world are we going to leave for Keith Richards?

I only swim.
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully not one without cigarettes. I hear nicotine withdrawal is tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Dolfan wrote:

And Iggy Pop.
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
I think it is pretty well known what habits contribute to longer than normal lifespan and vigor well into older age. You just have to look at the studies of populations in blue zones. Even in that case those are just averages. You can do everything right and get cancer. Or have bad luck and have early cardiac disease etc. As a family doc my oldest current pt is 104. I don't think he did anything particularly special but stayed at ideal weight didn't smoke as far as I can tell ate moderate diet etc.

I have seen a fair number of retired female teachers or librarian types at below average weight make it to late 90s or even 100. One lady drew a teachers pension possibly longer than she worked for it.

I was under the impression that the number one thing that was shared by Blue Zones was a history of poor record keeping.
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Skuj wrote:
Dolfan wrote:
What is Keith Richard’s secret?

And Iggy Pop.

Iggy's been clean for decades now

Plus, he lives in Miami

Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
chrisesposito wrote:

I turn 65 in a few weeks; a somewhat arbitrary marker but not completely so, as my 60s don't feel like my 50s and definitely don't feel like my 40s. This is both a blessing and a curse but certainly turning 65+ beats my never getting that old. A few thoughts you mention, along with a previous post about 'surrender' help illustrate what some of the central aspects of my 60s have been like; maybe this view from a possible future will help as you think about aging.

I'm far from the first 60+ year old to notice the reduction in energy on a day to day basis but it gets intertwined with a few other things. The reduction in energy shows up in other more subtle ways, as it effectively increases the perceived cost of doing some things, which indirectly changes the motivation to do them either at the same level or at all. Where it gets a bit trickier are changes in what you think you want out of life in your life at or near retirement vs your 50s - how much of these are driven by just getting older with it's various declines, and how much are changes in preferences. What endures or should endure as part of your identity or sense of self in your life, and what doesn't? What new things come into your life, and why?

I've likely already done my last century ride years ago; I've certainly run my last marathon, although I recognized neither of these as the last of their kind as I was doing them. However, it's been barely more than a month since the filing of what will probably be my 18th and 19th patents. The end of work is a bit more foreseeable - another year or two at most of full time work will be it. I may choose to teach part-time at that point, I may not. After a long career in tech, I've found full-time teaching to be as fulfilling as I hoped but it too will end at some point. At that point (if not before), we move back to be nearer to family and old friends. While I know people who have worked well into their 70s and enjoyed it, I don't want to be someone whose last healthy years were spent in an office.

I'm not sure I'll ever run again but it's not due to injury or disability. I'm a whole lot slower, it takes a great deal more effort to even be slower, and I simply enjoy it a lot less. As this year would be my 53rd year of running I'm conflicted about giving it up as it has been such a big part of my athletic life. Am I giving up too soon, or has running simply had a good run, so to speak, but it's done. I may give it another try this fall after I'm done with some bike events I'm training for. As you mention, long time endurance athletes get good at being comfortable with being uncomfortable. Maybe the next step is to figure out what things are worth being uncomfortable for and why. As I've dropped off in my running I've discovered that I enjoy swimming more now than I ever used to; it has an almost meditative aspect to it I've not noticed before. I've restarted my attempts to learn to play the piano (it's as hard as I remember) and am looking forward to finally learning to cook. Having our Frenchie take me out for daily walks is good too :-)

I am 6 years behind you, but everything you say I grapple with. I was at a family wedding where I met friends and extended family who I have not seen for 30 years (many last time was when my sister was married, this time, her daughter's wedding). In between a lot of life happened for everyone. Largely, I am one of three people still active. As I had no access to a bike or pool, I was running every day. One day I have 75 min to kill while my EV was charging and as the charger was at a trailhead with a round trip 8 mile run (Mario Cuomo bridge connecting Tarrytown NY to NJ side), I just decided to use the 75 min to do the 8 mile round trip.

Almost every run I ask myself "Why do you even bother running ???....you are so slow and pathetic compared to when you ACTUALLY RAN !!!"

Most of my runs are 20 min jogs to the pool, 15 min transition runs off the bike, 20-30 min jogs after swimming. That's 5 days per week of just shuffling around barely faster than a powerhike.

On weekends often I will do 1 hrs "real runs" both days.

Literally the only reason I keep running is so I have the "option" of this fitness outlet as an easily accessible run such as during the impromptu bridge run (by the way, the experience was awesome, the running a bit better than totally pathetic, but better than sitting on a park bench surfing the internet on my phone, a bit better than 1 hrs walk, but not as fun as a 75 min hard swim or 75 min hard ride.

BUT....I had the option

...and this is why I keep doing all those stupid shuffle runs that are 15-30 min 5 days per week. I get limited joy out of them. They feel like a chore, but its 'use it or lose it" and I am not ready to lose it.

And being in the verge of losing running permanently is a nice window into overall mortality. Eventually you are on the verge of losing your life from little things.

Also on your point of swimming, this weekend I missed masters swimming nationals. I got into swimming big time in 2016 when I could not walk from an accident, and its been a game changer in terms of quality of life.

I remember that bridge (I used to live in Pleasantville, NY just north) - it was called the Tappan Zee bridge when I lived there in the late '70s / early 80s.

You make several good points here. I'm sensitive to the loss of little things that add up to big losses. My father grew up in an age and area where exercise was for children; grown men (as he was told) had jobs and wives and families to be provided for; cigars to be smoked and a drink after coming home. None of this self-indulgent exercise stuff. So he mostly didn't exercise. Weight gain, poorer health, worsening diabetes and under-treated sleep apnea were followed by a long slow slide into dementia. We'd talk at least weekly and ever so gradually having conversations got harder; then it got to the point where I was doing most of the talking and he'd offer what response he could. Then one day my mother told me that he had almost completely lost the ability to speak and it became undeniable that he had crossed a brutal threshold and there would be no return.

Your continuing to run because you aren't ready to lose it has a real "do not go gentle into that good night" feel to it that I'm coming to appreciate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
Hopefully not one without cigarettes. I hear nicotine withdrawal is tough.

He actually quit smoking! Keith Fucking Richards!!!

I only swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did enough drinking before he recently stopped to pickle himself for preservation. That is his secret.
Quote Reply
Re: The Race We Try To Do Slowly And Finish Last ..... Aging [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
"I get up in the morning, read the obituaries, and if I don't see my name, I have breakfast" - Carl Reiner (when he was 95 years old)

A lot of those early TV guys (and gals) lived and are still living into their 90s

Carl Reiner died at 98
Mel Brooks is 97
Dick Van Dyke is 98
Bob Newhart is 94
Shatner is 93
Carol Burnett is 91

Taking things "not so seriously" may be a factor?

MAD Magazine Artist Al Jaffee retired at 99, and died aged 102

Quote Reply

Prev Next