Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if IM advertised this as calm bay swim? They always advertise the water being 5*+ higher. Anyways, my theory here is friends who did this race last year advertised the swim to friends "it's easy, all you have to do is stand up on the sand bar"
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said it doesn't matter how strong a swimmer you are if the tide is going against you at the same speed you're swimming at you're screwed. This sounds like its was 100% a poor choice of course layout given the current.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkH wrote:
Maybe on race day, the RD and lifeguards can access the conditions and say “ This is for A an B class swimmers only”, the rest of the entrants will do a biathlon today.
What makes an A and B swimmer? Someone who has completed that distance in a certain amount of time….period. If it takes you, say 50 minutes to complete 1.2 miles….your a C swimmer and can’t enter the water….sorry. Everyone shouldn’t be prevented from swimming because some people are not a strong as others. I’m not saying that they are undertrained…..their just not up to the conditions on that day.

I like this idea. I *think* I'm a "B" swimmer (64yo), always finishing in the top 3rd/some top 25%, seeding at 1:50s/100m (I did swim 1:15/100m at Augusta, but that doesn't count) and not afraid of water at all (with or without a wetsuit). A couple of years ago at Gulf Coast 70.3 they cancelled the swim because of the conditions. It would have been a tough wetsuit-legal swim for me and not at 1:50, but it looked doable within the cut off. Of course the county had marked it a double-red flag day, but I think there's a difference between "swimmers" and "non-swimmers". Most people, even in Tri, are not "swimmers", so closing the beaches to swimming is the "correct" call on a day like that. However, "swimmers" could do it, although slower than "normal".

One problem is how do you prove your an "A" or "B" swimmer? For those who have completed an IM branded event, it should be easy for IM to label someone's ability from a previous race. But there are "A" or "B" swimmers who might be doing their very first Tri. When I did my first one, just four years ago, it was a 70.3 lake swim, local event. I finished in 32 mins zig-zagging my way around because I was poor at sighting. I would not have been able to prove I could swim in rough waters at that first event.

Another problem is making sure your safety team are up to the task. I think someone mentioned that at the 2012 WC event some of safety team had to be rescued.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, if they wanted, IM could do a swim test for any athletes new to IM. Get a bracelet after completion, and before you get your bib.

My daughter's summer camp does this before they let kids swim in the lake. It's just whether it's a big enough concern to make it worth the effort to administer.

On a separate note, whenever these tough conditions happen, where hundreds of weaker athletes are requiring assistance, I wonder what would happen if someone was having a legit medical emergency...and support isn't available to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
... where hundreds of weaker athletes...

I'd be hesitant to say a non-"A"/non-"B" swimmer is a "weaker athlete" than me. In fact, I'd only say they are a weaker swimmer. Almost everyone passes me on the bike and run :) The swim is the only thing I do half way decently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
christianlee wrote:
... where hundreds of weaker athletes...

I'd be hesitant to say a non-"A"/non-"B" swimmer is a "weaker athlete" than me. In fact, I'd only say they are a weaker swimmer. Almost everyone passes me on the bike and run :) The swim is the only thing I do half way decently.

Great point. That is, in fact, what I meant. Careless choice of words on my part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying in general: I do think the water support was a bit overwhelmed and they deserve kudos. From an RD/Race org standpoint you cannot practically apply an on the fly subjective standard to 1500 people on a course is that is changing as people swim it. And tide was only one variable - cold water affects people very differently which would, in turn, affect any standards you tried to apply, etc.

I did the race and the tidal push varied on the return with no real way to gauge it other than that buoy you were sighting at the moment wasn't getting closer at the usual speed. As we got towards the final two red gates I felt like we swam across the incoming current and got swept right on the course again before we could turn left to the finish ((adding a bit of distance). I don't wear a Garmin in the swim so I can't back that up with data.

I have some doubts on the announced water temp of 57F. Especially given that the recorded temps didn't match it. its been 53-54F consistently and 57F would be a max temp for May. This will impact peoples ability to swim especially the longer they are in the water.

I am usually 36-38 mins with wetsuit and I was 1:01 at the exit timing mat. Some of that was self inflicted poor planning but I would have been at least 10-15 min slower regardless on the day. It was a tougher than expected swim and you can see that in the swim times across the age groups.

It is Ironman and the course was challenging and a challenging swim often makes for a challenging rest of the day.

The bike course is rolling with a few climbs and absolutely gorgeous and dead on 56 miles. The run course was also rolling with one steep hill and a great mix of scenic park views and in town crowds. Overall it is a really great venue if they get the swim dialed in. I am guessing the RD will learn from this as he tried to adjust for last years walkable swim. This is only the second year of the event.

Thankfully as far as I know there were no casualties and everyone was safely retrieved from the water.
Last edited by: SusanH: May 22, 24 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [ronbizkit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Credit where credit is due - It seems Ironman have offered everyone who DNF'd the chance to enter any 70.3 in North America this year for FREE.

Surprisingly good move from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [LitaElite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LitaElite wrote:
Credit where credit is due - It seems Ironman have offered everyone who DNF'd the chance to enter any 70.3 in North America this year for FREE.

Surprisingly good move from them.

Excellent and totally unexpected. Maybe DeRue is making a positive difference.

Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:

perhaps they'll start swimming more. Swims get constantly cancelled, it's about time also the swim becomes an actual challenge, rather than a 30 mins warm up...
Otherwise they can all go do duathlons.

This just sound like the comment coming from a fish -I guess empathy isn't developed in the water :)
Last edited by: IceZ4: May 24, 24 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [IceZ4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IceZ4 wrote:
pier87 wrote:

perhaps they'll start swimming more. Swims get constantly cancelled, it's about time also the swim becomes an actual challenge, rather than a 30 mins warm up...

This just sound like the comment coming from a fish -I guess empathy isn't developed in the water :)

Probably, but I’ve never seen a run shortened or cancelled because people suck at running…
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
IceZ4 wrote:
pier87 wrote:

Probably, but I’ve never seen a run shortened or cancelled because people suck at running…

Maybe because, 90% all deaths in triathlon are related to the swimming portion -not running. Two people die per month during the season. Next time, you go and tell their families: their loved one's were lazy and didn't train hard enough in the pool -after race organizers sold them "everything is possible"...
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [IceZ4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IceZ4 wrote:
pier87 wrote:
IceZ4 wrote:
pier87 wrote:

Maybe because, 90% all deaths in triathlon are related to the swimming portion -not running. Two people die per month during the season. Next time, you go and tell their families: their loved one's were lazy and didn't train hard enough in the pool -after race organizers sold them "everything is possible"...

Responsibility is personal. You need to be able to judge if you’re fit enough to do something.
It is amazing how much everyone wants to be babysat no matter how unrealistic their expectations are.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [ronbizkit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying in general.... Yes, the swim was cold. I was unaware of the current until I exited the water at 37 and I am usually a 32 minute 70.3 swimmer....not great but not bad. I checked my Garmin that laps every 500 and was surprised but not surprised how the speed varies....
First 500 (5:52) Average pace 1:10--- I WAS COLD so SWAM waaaay above my pace
Second 500 (7:10) Average pace 1;26
Third 500 (12:44) Average pace 2:33 This was after the turn ----heading back
Fourth 500 (10:23) Average pace 2:05
Final distance at 1:30 pace
Crazy to think the third 500 almost took me as long as the first 1000.

Overall a good race and think despite the cold and current, I think the race was well organized....
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the swim is in a river, they never ever set up the course so that you have to swim against the current on the way back.

So, looks like the ocean current situation took the organizer by surprise here not just in terms of magnitude but also direction, or there being a current?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
So, looks like the ocean current situation took the organizer by surprise here not just in terms of magnitude but also direction, or there being a current?
If this set of tidal movement/flow was predictable then the organiser 'deliberately' (no surprise) chose the wrong weekend (eg spring tides or high water at the 'wrong' time). If these flows were unpredictable then this location is unsuitable for a participation event. If anyone has discovered an analysis of the Morro Bay tidal patterns and their impact on distance swimming there, please link.
This must have been so close to a disaster that I suspect the organiser themself will never fill that role again. Perhaps someone itk can share the risk assessment (not a chance). USAT sanctions every triathlon in the USA and has the power not to do so. Has USAT shared their view of what happened?

"USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon. . . and paratriathlon in the United States [and] sanctions more than 3,500 events and races . . . each year"

As for STers saying htfu and get in open water, this is the BoP we're talking about: an organiser has a clear responsibility to provide a safe environment with risk ALARP. That includes allowing for weak swimmers. Risk is predominantly owned (and can be mitigated) by the organiser, not the participant.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: May 25, 24 1:23
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d have been popping my pants about the cold for sure

just a general comment - how many people actually reccied the swim to know the current and cold? Very popular to do a reccy on the bike and run but if I am doing an ow race I want to know where the current is and talk to people who know the cours
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were swimmers in the practice area pretty much all day Saturday but the practice area was close to the shore in the corner of the dog leg shaped bay - not in the middle where tide flow was strongest and where the return course was located.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
When the swim is in a river, they never ever set up the course so that you have to swim against the current on the way back.

This was a tidal change essentially at the entrance of a protected harbor where the swim is held. You can go and look for the timing and volume of the tidal change in Morro Bay 2 years into the future.

Absolutely 100% no surprise. If they were not aware that’s just stupidity. If they aware (and I think that is the truth), it’s horribly bad planning. Either way it’s not great.

Saw a YouTube video some guy made, he talked to a local they paddle boards in the harbor who said he wouldn’t even paddle in those conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Morro Bay 70.3 swim [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder what they'll do next year. Maybe revert back to last year's course? Seems like having to walk 30m of shallow section is better than 30% of the field DNFing. Was actually really tempted to sign up earlier this year but I'm a slow swimmer so would definitely have been part of the 30%. I imagine they'll have a different/better plan next year but will wait until they disclose the course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next