Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CO2 Replacement
Quote | Reply
Anyone using one of these (or similar) in stead of carrying CO2? If so thoughts?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/fix-mfg-eflator-digital-tire-pump?skid=FMG000H-BLA
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I just bought a Cycplus AS2 Pro - https://www.cycplus.com/...iny-pump-as2-pro-max

At first, I was skeptical but now I use it before the ride to set my PSI to 72 rear and 68 front for my 28mm tires. The charge will fill up (3) tires. I used to carry (2) CO2 cartridges and a CO2 Shooter. After weighing the AS2 Pro, it was less than the 2 cartridges and the shooter - believe it was 136 grams versus 202 grams. Not a big difference, but carrying 1 items versus 3 is a plus. Knowing that if I get a flat, that I can set the pressure to 68 or 72 PSI and it will pump up to that PSI. With a CO2 shooter, it's a guess as far as the PSI that you will be in your tires. I also like the fact that there is a USB to re-charge it. With the CO2, once you shoot it, you have to go to the LBS to get another CO2 cartridge.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you carrying this in a triathlon?

I like the idea of this product because c02 isn't great for long term durability tire sealant. So at a minimum I'd like to use it on training rides where I'm not going to reduce the life of my sealant if I have to top off.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my plan is to carry the inflator during a triathlon. I'm doing the Onondagaman 70.3 on June 1st and IMLP in July. Prior to the race, I want to use it to see how long it takes to fill an empty tube (about 45 seconds) and to make sure that I'm comfortable with using it before a race.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me old school, but I don't like the idea of such a critical on-the-bike tool relying on a battery and to a less extent cheap electric motor. Thinking about being 50 miles away from home and having no way to pump a flat because I forgot to charge.

Minipump for training, CO2 for racing. The drawbacks of CO2 don't really apply to a one-off in race pump, in that situation it's speed and minimal size of the system, on which CO2 beats this electric pump handily. For training why wouldn't you just carry a pump? They're like $20 and a tried-and-true solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a review for this product (GCN maybe) and as far as I recall it didn't have enough juice to fully inflate road tire
Don't know if I would trust this thing
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what GCN reviewed, but the Cyclplus AS2 Pro will fill 3 700 road tires up to 80 PSI. Some of the original and "older" versions had limitations, but this truly works 100% of the time. They also make an AS2 Pro Max for Mountain Bike / Motorcycle Tires.

To answer the Mathematicians post, I'm 65 years old and have never carried a hand pump on my bike. I'm not sure why, but they just don't appeal to me.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Replacement [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this x1000. At team camp I had a flat. Teammate rolled up with his little battery pump to help, but turns out it was dead. My mini pump doesn't have that problem. Plus, it was a little more expensive, but the silca gravelero pump will inflate road tires crazy fast, and does gravel tires in a reasonable time frame as well, works super well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
I'm not sure what GCN reviewed, but the Cyclplus AS2 Pro will fill 3 700 road tires up to 80 PSI. Some of the original and "older" versions had limitations, but this truly works 100% of the time. They also make an AS2 Pro Max for Mountain Bike / Motorcycle Tires.

To answer the Mathematicians post, I'm 65 years old and have never carried a hand pump on my bike. I'm not sure why, but they just don't appeal to me.

I promise I'm not trying to be condescending, but when did you start cycling? Presumably the 65y/o is supposed to convey many years of cycling, and Co2/electric pumps didn't become a thing until the 2000's. Did you just get flats and ride home on a flat? Did you never get flats? Did you have some other cool kind of pump? Or is this just semantics and you're about to make my day by saying you've used the same frame pump since 1976 [prayerhands]
Quote Reply