Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday
Quote | Reply
I also posted this in the LR.. as it is a holiday with some casual riding vs. hard core riding, but thought it best to cover both spots. Sorry for any repetition..

Looking for some recommendations on places to go for a holiday with cycling.

Timeframe would be the month of March 2025.

Requirements

Nice warm weather (20C or 70F) range or warmer.
Safe, mainly offroad cycling (bike paths) on flattish or moderate terrain where you could go out for a couple of hours of riding each day on a commuter hybrid bike.
Beach area would be preferred.
Access to a good spot for some short running and swimming.
Reasonable air travel from Toronto.

Willing to travel to Europe, Southern US, Costa Rica, Belize or Panama in Central America, and the Caribbean if the cycling would work.

For comparison we have ridden the Loop trail in Tucson, the Pinellas Trail in Dunedin.

In Europe we have ridden in the Provence area and the Netherlands and Belgium. I think these spots would be too cold in March, but maybe something near the Mediterranean would work if there is a good cycling area.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stillwater OK has a big deal gravel race in March. No beaches though.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Europe I'd recommend Canary Islands for this time of the year. You have a guaranteed 18-22 Celsius degrees. Tenerife is spectacular, great for climbing. Gran Canaria is a beautiful mix of terrain but primarily also great for climbing. Lanzarote is relatively flat, super windy, not much traffic and IMO perfect for triathlon training. Sport-/ and cycling-friendly hotels can be found on each island.

March can be difficult for almost any other location in Europe. I've been to south France twice around this time of year and it's like in the Paris-Nice World Tour - expect 2 Celsius degrees & snow around 1000-1200m altitude, plus a lot of rain below that. Sicily would do nicely weather-wise, but IMO it's not a dream cycling destination.
Quote Reply