Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prevent creaking pedal threads
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have an OCD-level hatred for a creaking bike.

I've gotten quite good at diagnosing various sources and fixing them, but the one that keeps coming back are creaking pedal threads. Cleaning and greasing them fixes the issue without fail, but I wonder if there's a way to prevent it from happening in the first place. I do get it about once a year or maybe more so after washing the bike with the garden hose.

Can the threads be somehow sealed off from dirt getting in?
Additional Info: This time around it was on my Road Bike with Assioma Power Pedals, but I don't think they are special with regards to creaking or could they be?
Also I noticed the offending pedal was quite hard to unscrew. Can over-tightening lead to creaking?
I always use pedal washers, but maybe I shouldn't? My cranks have a nice smooth surface at the pedal/crank interface so a washer might not be necessary?

Thx for any tips

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: May 14, 24 1:50
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say that you clean & grease, but still have a problem unscrewing. Seems strange and, like you pointed out, you might be over-tightening. I'd make sure you use enough grease and maybe try a torque wrench.

I wouldn't use any washers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides doing what you are doing you could always wrap the axle threads with teflon tape. Will definitely do the trick. Only two a single layer or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you using washers?
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because I've always used them I guess.
Washers came with most pedals I bought and where installed on most bikes I took the pedals off of.

I think they are recommended if the crank isn't properly smooth at the interface but as mentioned above that's not the case here.
So yeah, I'm questioning using them right now. Doesn't seem that they are a main contributing factor to the creaking though, right? I still have them on and the creak is gone after the cleaning of the thread.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
Besides doing what you are doing you could always wrap the axle threads with teflon tape. Will definitely do the trick. Only two a single layer or two.

I like that idea. And since I'm not currently racing (and using valve-extenders) anymore, I have unused teflon tape left lying around...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No washers, as others have noted; and use anti-seize grease on the pedal threads.

I have the same pedals as you do and run a Shimano 105/Ultegra crankset FWIW.
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [Tube3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised to see the dialogue questioning the application of the pedal washer. Anytime I have a crank with a recessed interface, I certainly apply them (without any ill effects such as creaking / noise) For SRAM road and mountain cranks, the service manuals explicitly state to install the pedal washer. I understand that there are crank warranty (again, SRAM) implications if pedals are installed without washers.
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that SRAM is the only manufacturer that requires washers.
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:

^^^^^^This.

Also WRT the washers, they are a must if you are running a carbon crank that come with them; more optional on aluminum cranks.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Prevent creaking pedal threads [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I was trying to say as much. In fact, new Campag manuals clearly state to NOT install a washer, but their pedal interface has a built in washer for these purposes.

I apply washers to all my shimano cranks as they have recesses and I guess its force of habit. As mentioned earlier, no ill effects from doing so.
Quote Reply