Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vineman Questions
Quote | Reply
So the Vineman full for 2007 is looking appealing. I know this is a popular race, so give me some thoughts on the event. Course, management, support, volunteers, etc. I'm blown away at how cheap the event is to register for, plus its just over the mountains from me.

I can't believe I'm thinking about doing another one of these things...
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raced the 1/2 last year and am coming back despite moving to the east coast. that is how well run the race is. top notch. great volunteers, communication, etc. couldn't ask for more.

course is rolling with a few decent climbs. hot sunny run.

it is a popular race on this board. you won't hear many bad things. i'm not sure about the full specifically, but i assume it is just as good as the 1/2. maybe someone else can comment on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [perly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, thanks. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the huge crowds, but the BEST volunteers. An OK asst. race director too (hi Dave). There's a women's only half the same day that is growing more and more each year, so you get some extra support when you are out there on the run.

I'll be there doing one race or the other I'm sure.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live near the course and did part of the half last year (blew a tire). Great swim although T1 is on dirt. Pretty nice ride that has a good deal of rolling hills. Expect the run to be very hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [Lyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Expect the run to be very hot. <<

Not necessarily. I've done Half VM 7 years now and not every one of them have been really hot. This year you can bet money it will be cool all day on July 30th since I start in an early wave. That said, the year 2000 full VM was a scortcher--99F and people dropping like flies (me included).

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Cathy

You must know that even if it is cool and foggy it still is warmer than a June day in the City! Remember this is mid August. Odds are it will be hot on the (full VM) run.

As to the race itself, if you don't need all the hub bub and crowds of an M-DOT race, then you may enjoy the full. Hopefully it will continue to grow and be a good alternative to the IM brand (which is kind of ironic given their connection to IMNA).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the full distance twice. It is an outstanding race - well supported, well organized, great volunteers on the course and managing the race, excellent course (challenging, but not overly difficult. Although, the new run course has some decent rollers and you get to do them 3 times), top-notch venue. I honestly have only one negative comment and that is post-race food...but, frankly, that's not all that important, even less when you consider the many options close by.

I would highly recommend it.

one last thought: weather can go either way, but most likely you'll get cool in the mornings and warmer to much warmer in the afternoons. I've done a number of training days up there and no matter what the conditions, it's never totally unbearable.
Last edited by: jar1635: May 9, 06 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've done the full distance twice. It is an outstanding race - well supported, well organized, great volunteers on the course and managing the race, excellent course (challenging, but not overly difficult. Although, the new run course has some decent rollers and you get to do them 3 times), top-notch venue. I honestly have only one negative comment and that is post-race food...but, frankly, that's not all that important, even less when you consider the many options close by.

I would highly recommend it.

one last thought: weather can go either way, but most likely you'll get cool in the mornings and warmer to much warmer in the afternoons. I've done a number of training days up there and no matter what the conditions, it's never totally unbearable.

Totally agree -- top notch race.

My only additions are to suggest staying in the area a few days. It is beautiful and a great place for some rest and relaxation after the race.

The wine touring was great, rented a canoe and paddled around the Russian River, etc. etc. - the race was outstanding but the vacation afterwards was just as outstanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, seems like quite a few reasons to seriously consider doing this race next year. Has anyone done the full vm and ironman wisconsin? I'm curious how they compare in difficulty... (although this isn't really important).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not done Wisconsin. The Vineman bike course is not that difficult. Chalk Hill gets a lot of talk, but in reality it's fairly tame. The toughest part of that climb is doing it ~mile 100 the 2nd time around. Other than that, the course is limited to rollers, and maybe one or two other minor hills. My memories are more around wind than hills for the bike course. The backside of the loop can get a little windy.

The run course at VM is pretty challenging. 3 out and backs with lots of ups and downs. I recall being scared shitless the night before when I drove the run course (it had changed from my first VM), but in reality it was not all that bad. In fact, it was fun in a painful sort of way.

To echo Sparticus - it's a beautiful region, so if you are coming from out of state I highly recommend spending some time there. Don't miss going over to the Coast either.

The only m-dot course I can compare it to are CDA and AZ. It's more hilly than AZ for sure, but somewhat comparable to CDA...at least from a perceived effort perspective.
Last edited by: jar1635: May 9, 06 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents...

1. Great swim venue. Can't say enough.
2. Bike course is quite easy. Chalk Hill is only difficult if you think a highway overpass is a hill. It's all hype.
3. The run course is on the boring side, but fast.
4. Weather - Cool in the morning. Bet money that it will heat up in the afternoon.
5. Don't use the organization that Vineman recommends for hotel arrangements. They switched my hotel room(s) from a 4-star to a motel and had the nerve to try to charge me the original price. The customer service was awful!
6. Make sure you have friends who can assist you with Special Needs on the bike. The year I did the race, they made no arrangements for Special Needs (this may have changed).
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [crichton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

<<What river did you swim in? That nasty green thing is what is keeping me out of the event this year. Ducks paddle around you. Yuck.>>

2. Bike course is quite easy. Chalk Hill is only difficult if you think a highway overpass is a hill. It's all hype.

<<That's a stretch, but agreed, it's not hilly. Just rolling. I hear the roads up there are really bad now after this extended season of rainy weather.>>

4. Weather - Cool in the morning. Bet money that it will heat up in the afternoon.

<<It's still a dry heat, though. Even 99F isn't as bad as Hawaii at 88F.>>

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>><<That's a stretch, but agreed, it's not hilly. Just rolling. I hear the roads up there are really bad now after this extended season of rainy weather.>>

I rode up there Sat/Sun. The roads are no worse (except one place which isn't on the course) than usual. And I've yet to see a duck in the river. We did see some geese in one of the pastures though.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
[/reply]

<<What river did you swim in? That nasty green thing is what is keeping me out of the event this year. Ducks paddle around you. Yuck.>>

TRY SWIMMING AT IMAZ OR IN THE SF BAY. IT'S ALL RELATIVE.

<<That's a stretch, but agreed, it's not hilly. Just rolling. I hear the roads up there are really bad now after this extended season of rainy weather.>>
AGAIN, ITS ALL RELATIVE. I RIDE THE COURSE ALL THE TIME AND THERE ARE A LOT OF FLAT SECTIONS AND THE HILLS ARE MINOR. I GUESS YOU MUST BE FALLING INTO THE "THIS HIGHWAY OVERPASS IS A BIG HILL" CATEGORY THAT I WAS DESCRIBING.

<<It's still a dry heat, though. Even 99F isn't as bad as Hawaii at 88F.>>[/reply]
AGREED.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [crichton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

TRY SWIMMING AT IMAZ OR IN THE SF BAY. IT'S ALL RELATIVE.

AGAIN, ITS ALL RELATIVE. I RIDE THE COURSE ALL THE TIME AND THERE ARE A LOT OF FLAT SECTIONS AND THE HILLS ARE MINOR. I GUESS YOU MUST BE FALLING INTO THE "THIS HIGHWAY OVERPASS IS A BIG HILL" CATEGORY THAT I WAS DESCRIBING.

<<It's still a dry heat, though. Even 99F isn't as bad as Hawaii at 88F.>>[/reply]
AGREED.

No, my man, I climb Mt Tam all the time. I know from hills. It's rolling, not hilly.

CLM, there were many ducks there on the TWO Saturdays my training partner and I swam that river in the weeks before the race. Cute, but gross to be swimming in their bathroom.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train ... you've gotten some good ideas from the posts regarding what's happening here at Vineman. Some other items to clarify

*Hotels ... if you need ideas please message me and i'll be happy to assist ... TONS of options and way more than what you see on our site

*We have more folks entered in the race as of May 1 this year than we had last year on AUG 1 ... numbers are going up ;) YEAH!

*Special Needs? Last two years we have done a special needs area @ 56 miles on the bike that has worked out very well

Course? like you can see a variety of opinions based on what people are used to and where they train. You also get different perspective from folks that do the half vs full ... the course really does take on a different dynamic later in the day. Most of the morning is quite cool and windless ... afternoon can be different. The run course is also different than 3 years ago.

*Weather ... AVG high temp in AUG is 84-85 degrees in Windsor (north part of bike course, Geyserville, is warmer than the southern part of the course, Windsor) Mornings are always 50-55 degree's. Last year we did not get over 80 degree's during the full VM, 85 the year before, 90's the year before that. Things start to cool down quite quick late in the afternoon.

Finally ... feel free to send us a note if you have questions: dave@vineman.com

Crichton referenced special needs (see note above) and boring run (not any longer, my opinion) ... it's quite possible he did the race in 2003? Run is now on part of the half course (3 laps instaed of two - farmland and vineyards)

My Best ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: May 10, 06 21:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train,

I did the full VM last year (and the half a couple of years ago) and I thought it was a great race. I agree with most of the other comments:

Swim is in the Russian River, so it is not an alpine lake swim (like the Donner Lake OLY) but there are trees lining the course, sighting in never a problem because the sun is always blocked and the water is never cold. Often the water is to warm and I have been a little cooked when I have peeled of my wetsuit.

Bike is through some world famous vineyards with some stunning scenery. I like the combo of flats and rollers for an IM course. A couple of years ago one of the roads near the end was in bad shape, but last year I thought the road condition was great. There was plenty of AID on the course and the volunteers were great. I rode by myself most of the day which I thought was great, ie, I stayed in my comfort zone and did not make any pacing mistakes.

Run is on roads that travel through fields with much of it shaded. There are some rollers so I would say the run course is suited to a strength runner; someone who can maintain a steady pace up and down hills even when fatigued from a bike ride. I thought the three loops were great even though my fading pace on the third loop was drastic. The run volunteers were great. I think I surprised them a few times (or maybe my crazed looks scared them) but they always got the water or coke in my hand by the end of the aid station.

Lodging. My friend and I camped 100 yards from the start line. Several other athletes had RVs but we just set up a tent and slept on the earth. We camp for almost every race so this worked out great for us. I have also camped up at Bullfrog Pond before a half VM which offers great views of the coastal range mountains at sunset, but means you probably are driving or biking to the start line. I would bring ear plugs because sometimes there is noise when camping in crowded spots but I had no problem sleeping.

The Scene. Yes the race is mellow compared to the descriptions of IMNA races but if you are racing for yourself then I think the atmosphere is perfect. The organization and volunteers are excellent. There was ample energy to keep the athletes moving forward to their individual goals.

For athletes who desire the adoration of anonymous crowds, who need a crowded course for vindication that they are racing and "beating the competition," who want someone to tell them that they are "an Ironman (TM)" who want to pay $4-500 for the slick marketing of bells and whistles that mean nothing then this is not the race for them.

I highly recommend the full VM and hope to race up there again someday.

Best of luck,

Noah Dowell
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman Questions [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave-

I tried finding you at the Vineman back in August but ended up talking to the announcer instead. The venue was pretty cool, my girlfriend and I camped next to the guy who took 3rd or 4th overall and Ronnie Toth and his father (the kid went 4:35 in the 1/2 Vineman and then low 10 hours in the Vineman! We cheered both of these dudes the entire day, and had a blast doing it.)

Entry has opened, and I'm interested in knowing how long you think the race will be open. It didn't look like it filled last year, but interest is growing. Working on my doctorate is kicking my ass, so I'm hesitant to sign up until I see what next semester is going to bring - but I really want to get in this race. You think you'll still have slots in January/February?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply