Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off-season - for sprints - polarised ? How not to burn out
Quote | Reply
Hi Brains trust,
Tis winter here now, and it’s time to think off-season. Having just done a half, with much time spent at tempo with zone 2 and a sprinkle of threshold and vo2, but not huge dollops of the latter.
This upcoming season I really want to work on my sprint tri game. Short course. But I’m struggling to develop an offseason plan which builds to this. I have been coached in the past and in the first 12 weeks had everything including vo2, threshold, ss etc etc. I came into the season hot but faded after 6 months.
Im wary of a fast start and burning out again. Coupled with the fact im giving a 5k run plan a go which has 2x hard sessions a week im even more cautious. I have done sweet spot blocks in the past and didn’t find them too helpful to be honest.

Any advice on how to build, say 12 week program into race season but also factor in the season would have just begun at that point? I had a glance at trainerroads polarised model and it has a 4 week block of 2x threshold work a week as its intensity, then its build 8 week replaces a threshold with vo2. I could prob do this but would need to really have recovery weeks.
Any ideas or tips would be handy as iv kinda maxed out the left side of the power curve with the half ironman lately and need to build up the right side, but do it intelligently so I don’t cook myself. I’m not in a position to afford a coach plus the last one blew me up early without much rest built in.
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season - for sprints - polarised ? How not to burn out [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

............... I have been coached in the past and in the first 12 weeks had everything including vo2, threshold, ss etc etc. I came into the season hot but faded after 6 months.
Im wary of a fast start and burning out again. Coupled with the fact im giving a 5k run plan a go which has 2x hard sessions a week im even more cautious. I have done sweet spot blocks in the past and didn’t find them too helpful to be honest. ..........

..................iv kinda maxed out the left side of the power curve with the half ironman lately and need to build up the right side, but do it intelligently so I don’t cook myself. I’m not in a position to afford a coach plus the last one blew me up early without much rest built in.

To me it seems like you answered your question. I think your train of thought is leading you in the right direction.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Off-season - for sprints - polarised ? How not to burn out [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would focus on zones 5+ for a bit. Doesn't have to be anything crazy hard (as in not so many reps or take more rest), especially if you're doing a lot of run intensity for the 5k.

Start small and build it up as you're able. Something like 10 minutes worth of 30 seconds VO2, 30 easy. Or several 15-30 second sprints with several minutes of east in between.

You could also work really low and really high cadence in some workouts to give a different stimulus.

Then you can shift the focus to threshold work for the race season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No advice,
Just wanted to say I hope Busso went well, the conditions looked pretty epic!
And hope you managed to get a glimpse of the aurora!
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season - for sprints - polarised ? How not to burn out [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone I guess reading it back it makes sense. Managing fatigue being the key if not using a traditional base and allowing a build.
Decided will start small vo2 and 95% threshold and allow progression over time. Closer to racing I’ll bring in some longer ftp and suprathreshold.

And I started well in busso but ran into some diabetic issues which i haven’t encountered in a while. It wouldn’t drop. Normally does. Had to crack the needle out mid ride twice to eat and it took me 90mins to get nutrition on board and working - thus too late. Blew up. Run shuffle.

And to top it off I missed the bloody Aurora too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

And I started well in busso but ran into some diabetic issues which i haven’t encountered in a while. It wouldn’t drop. Normally does. Had to crack the needle out mid ride twice to eat and it took me 90mins to get nutrition on board and working - thus too late. Blew up. Run shuffle.
!

Sorry to hear about the diabetic issues.
Do you mind sharing?
Sounds like you went high on the bike?
I manage diabetes all the time at work, but not in athletes!
Does this mean you then needed to give yourself some fast acting insulin to bring your sugars down so that you could then eat?
What did you do insulin wise pre race?
Does the stress response of a race cause you to go high normally?
Are you on top of this normally or have you had issues? I used to know a few good sites and resources for diabetics and racing, and some open water stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season - for sprints - polarised ? How not to burn out [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

!

Do you mind sharing?
Does this mean you then needed to give yourself some fast acting insulin to bring your sugars down so that you could then eat?
Are you on top of this normally or have you had issues? I used to know a few good sites and resources for diabetics and racing, and some open water stuff.

Sure no problem!

Starte race about 9mmols. Eat breakfast as per normal, and yeh race nerves and adreanaline are a monster. The days leading up, insulin needs increase since your not as active during taper, and your basal increases. I tend to do my best keeping on top of that during this time since i have come into races feeling dehydrated after suffering lingering highs.

Mid swim i always have a gel - have been doing this for many years. Swimming often makes me low no matter the conditions, race or training. I will say however, the more i swim the less this happens or is required. As my swim fitness increases, i become more efficient i assume. Anyway, better safe than sorry and its something i have often done. On this occasion it turns out i didn't need it, but i digress.

Got to T1 and check blood, 10mmols. Not bad as long as it tapers down. Last, perhaps 6 races, it always has. Earlier days in racing it didnt and i have needed insulin. As a result i take my insulin pen in the bento box always. Anyway, got up to speed. About 30 - 45mins, time to eat, knowing i already had a gel on board. My tracking within this time showed my blood wasnt moving down at all. It was steady. i needed nutrition and had to drag the needle out. Free wheel, dial it up, 2 units into the thigh. Back in the bento, keep going. I think people think me lance or soemthing. Kept an eye on it and it actually rose to 12mmols by 15 mins later. I was still holding power but barely now. I started to sip my SiS beta sachet (380cals, 80gms carbs) from my nutrition bottle, and gave myself another 2 units. Its a dangerous game if i get too much insulin in. By the time a good 90 mins has passed and i have missed my window. My numbers were only then starting to trend down to allow more nutrition. I havent needed insulin for quite some time in a race but there is always that chance. Anyway I wasnt aggressive enough and quick enough to get nutrtion on board i the hope it would start to drop on its own like it normally does. I then hit the wall - it really felt like my power just went bang, like a proper bonk. My head sunk, couldn't keep still on the bike, felt like i was burning body fat as a fuel - just slow, uncomfortable. The run is always just a shuffle after that, despite being able to refeed now and hold steady 6-8mmols throughout 18kms, i couldnt get any legs back. I hold higher numbers in training. Its infuriating because you spend several months doing long rides, tempo rides, long runs etc. To mess it all up by not nailing that 'other' discipline.
The funny thing is, my birthday recently and i was offered as a present to do IMWA. Now as a first timer for a full i wouldn't think myself as racing it so much as just getting though it. And its obvi a lot slower than 70.3 distance but i rekon if i do all these 5 hour rides etc and get to the day and i stuff up my blood sugar, i will rage at the pancreas gods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

!

Do you mind sharing?

Sure no problem!

Starte race about 9mmols. Eat breakfast as per normal, and yeh race nerves and adreanaline are a monster. The days leading up, insulin needs increase since your not as active during taper, and your basal increases. I tend to do my best keeping on top of that during this time since i have come into races feeling dehydrated after suffering lingering highs.

Mid swim i always have a gel - have been doing this for many years. Swimming often makes me low no matter the conditions, race or training. I will say however, the more i swim the less this happens or is required. As my swim fitness increases, i become more efficient i assume. Anyway, better safe than sorry and its something i have often done. On this occasion it turns out i didn't need it, but i digress.

Got to T1 and check blood, 10mmols. Not bad as long as it tapers down. Last, perhaps 6 races, it always has. Earlier days in racing it didnt and i have needed insulin. As a result i take my insulin pen in the bento box always. Anyway, got up to speed. About 30 - 45mins, time to eat, knowing i already had a gel on board. My tracking within this time showed my blood wasnt moving down at all. It was steady. i needed nutrition and had to drag the needle out. Free wheel, dial it up, 2 units into the thigh. Back in the bento, keep going. I think people think me lance or soemthing. Kept an eye on it and it actually rose to 12mmols by 15 mins later. I was still holding power but barely now. I started to sip my SiS beta sachet (380cals, 80gms carbs) from my nutrition bottle, and gave myself another 2 units. Its a dangerous game if i get too much insulin in. By the time a good 90 mins has passed and i have missed my window. My numbers were only then starting to trend down to allow more nutrition. I havent needed insulin for quite some time in a race but there is always that chance. Anyway I wasnt aggressive enough and quick enough to get nutrtion on board i the hope it would start to drop on its own like it normally does. I then hit the wall - it really felt like my power just went bang, like a proper bonk. My head sunk, couldn't keep still on the bike, felt like i was burning body fat as a fuel - just slow, uncomfortable. The run is always just a shuffle after that, despite being able to refeed now and hold steady 6-8mmols throughout 18kms, i couldnt get any legs back. I hold higher numbers in training. Its infuriating because you spend several months doing long rides, tempo rides, long runs etc. To mess it all up by not nailing that 'other' discipline.
The funny thing is, my birthday recently and i was offered as a present to do IMWA. Now as a first timer for a full i wouldn't think myself as racing it so much as just getting though it. And its obvi a lot slower than 70.3 distance but i rekon if i do all these 5 hour rides etc and get to the day and i stuff up my blood sugar, i will rage at the pancreas gods.

Are we dealing with Type I or Type II (and now on insulin?)? I am presuming Type I given the long history that you allude to but I do see many more younger people on insulin these days so always a little hard to know.
That really sounds like a horrible experience on the bike, like a sudden loss of intracellular glucose in your brain, not pleasant at all.
Have you consulted with any dieticians etc with experiencing in looking after insulin in endurance activities??
Never turn down the opportunity to do IMWA if you have been given "approval"!! Just need to realistically look at starting the training very soon for it, if you want to give it the best possible go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep type 1. I’m 44 diagnosed at 32.

I once reached out to a t1 and tri coach in the USA. But kind of hard to get a proper plan of basal and exact units on race day because often this thing just throws curveballs. You can plan for A and often end up with b, c and d.

Yeh not sure on imwa. I have always been better short course. More competitive. I don’t have to worry about nutrition in sprints and my body tends to perform better at higher intensities. Maybe that’s because it can use what it has on board? I’m not 100% sure. But I can crack top 10 results on sprints but long course is a different animal.
Quote Reply