Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Legacy people question
Quote | Reply
Have a friend that as been accepted for Kona 2026 is is doing Chattanooga this year and I assume he needs to race in 2025 to keep his slot for 2026. Question what happens if something goes wrong at Chattanooga does he have to finish another Ironman to stay eligible.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • To maintain eligibility as a Legacy program athlete, athletes must meet the following validation requirements
    • Acceptance year - must complete an IRONMAN branded full-distance (140.6) event in the calendar year
    • Each subsequent year leading up to the assigned race year, complete at least one (1) of the following IRONMAN-branded events each calendar year*:
      • Full-Distance IRONMAN (140.6)
      • IRONMAN 70.3
      • IRONMAN branded 5150

*In the assigned race year, this must be prior to the end of the qualifying season

I think he would need to complete a full this year to remain eligible and do an ironman branded race next year. Definitely get confirmation: legacy@Ironman.com
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:

• To maintain eligibility as a Legacy program athlete, athletes must meet the following validation requirements
    • Acceptance year - must complete an IRONMAN branded full-distance (140.6) event in the calendar year
    • Each subsequent year leading up to the assigned race year, complete at least one (1) of the following IRONMAN-branded events each calendar year*:
      • Full-Distance IRONMAN (140.6)
      • IRONMAN 70.3
      • IRONMAN branded 5150

*In the assigned race year, this must be prior to the end of the qualifying season

I think he would need to complete a full this year to remain eligible and do an ironman branded race next year. Definitely get confirmation: legacy@Ironman.com

I kind of read that the opposite. 'Acceptance year' - I assume that is the year they are racing Kona. So they need to complete a full in 2026. In the years leading up to 2026, so '24 and '25, they need to do any of the three WTC race types.
But agree, best to confirm!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 9, 24 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year was he/she accepted?

Say it was 2023; they would need a full in 2023 and then any distance in 24,25, and 26.

IM emails Legacy atheltes a few tiems a year with a link to upload your results to confirm that you have 'checkd your box' each year.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply but the question was what happens if he has bad Chattanooga does not finish his he still ok for Kona legacy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Thanks for the reply but the question was what happens if he has bad Chattanooga does not finish his he still ok for Kona legacy

I did Legacy in 2015. I had a DNF at IMLP that year which was my qualifying race and it wasn't a problem. Nobody checked if you finished the qualifying races, you only had to be registered for them. Things may have changed since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
rhudson wrote:

I did Legacy in 2015. I had a DNF at IMLP that year which was my qualifying race and it wasn't a problem. Nobody checked if you finished the qualifying races, you only had to be registered for them. Things may have changed since then.

The language used to say register. I see it now says complete
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Thom wrote:
rhudson wrote:

The language used to say register. I see it now says complete

I don't know the answer but I would bet once you are registered for Kona, you are set. Hard to believe they would be monitoring dnfs and pulling Kona registrations. I've never heard of that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your friend bombs Chatt, he/she would have to COMPLETE another race.

And they do check finishing times because you have to submit them along with your bib number.

2024 IRONMAN Validating Race
Aloha,
​
We hope this message finds you and your ‘ohana in good health.
​
Since the season is just getting started we wanted to wish you good luck in your upcoming events. Please do not forget to submit your 2024 validating race once you complete the event. Here is a reminder of the requirements leading up to the 2024 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship.
​
2024 Validating Requirements:
Complete ONE of the following events in 2024*:
  • Full-Distance IRONMAN branded (140.6)
  • IRONMAN 70.3
  • IRONMAN Branded 5150

*Please note, your validating race in 2024 must be complete by August 20, 2024.
**Please provide your Legacy Validation Race Information at the following link: IRONMAN Legacy Program Validation Form
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy people question [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is incorrect. Applications go in in November. Assigned year is announced in acceptance email in February of the next year. The full is in the acceptance year - the year of the February email accepting your application for legacy and assigning your Kona year.

Every year, you must email them your qualifier validation "finisher certificate".

---Legacy assigned 2020 and we all know how that worked out and dragged on for yearsssss
Quote Reply