Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things
Quote | Reply
I had a crash which rendered my Di2 irresponsive.

The 2 parts that got hit are the TT buttons (as usual, they need to be replaced, just due to the plactic button broke loose), as well as the RD.

What happens:
nothing, no sounds, no clicks, nothing. Not form ST's, not from TT buttons.

What I did:
- I check crashed mode, but that did not solve it.
- E-tube on pc over usb/charger: all components visible
- E-tube: forced firmware reload on all
- long/short button/lever push with and without charger: see video 1 and video 2. The only sign I get, without charger attached, is the red LED flashing (sometimes once, twice or even Twice and a very short third)

See rd-r8050 as detachering

Any hints what's going on?

BR
Christof
Last edited by: cdebackere: May 8, 24 1:22
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things [cdebackere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check your battery connection ( charged?)
firmware updates on the new parts
is this 11 or 12?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked battery connection and it's connected. I can confirm this based on connecting/disconnecting the battery while charging. As well as the fact the battery appears in the e-tube.

The setup is 11-speed ultegra (except for the TT buttons which are 'dura ace'); so RD-R8050 and FD-R8050 in terms of derailleurs.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things [cdebackere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My troubleshooting summary...
  • Crash mode not engaged.
  • Neither derailleur responds to shifters.
  • The system has power when connected to a charger but will not shift. (Confirmed via wired E-Tube Access.)
  • Does the system have power when not connected to the charger? (Does E-Tube work through Bluetooth without charger connected via EW-WU111?)
  • E-Tube can see all components (both shifters, FD, RD, Battery).
  • LED activity confirm some signs of life when connected to the charger.
  • No LED signs of life when not connected to the charger.

My conclusions from the above:
  1. All wires are connected and there are no shorts.
  2. The battery is the "brains" of the system, and it is responding.
  3. The system shows some signs of life when connected to a charger, but no life when not connected to a charger.

I think your battery is broken - the actual battery part of it, but not the computer brain also in the battery module.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Exx...

very usefull feedback!
I actually wasn't aware that the battery also acts as central 'brain'. I thought the system was a fully decentralised system... but looking back to it .. that doesn't make sense from a design perspective, since one knows in advance what range of components and functions to expect.

Your reasonings fills some gaps I was wondering about.

Etube app is next test .. but that's not possible, since I cant active the EW WU : no reaction when pushing the button on the EW-RS910 junction . Battery diagnosis sounds fair from that perspective.

Tonight I take this bike to a friend with similar Di2. So I can put my RD on his system. And his RD on mine . Both easy enough since cable is outside. That'll tell if the issue is the RD (likely not from above), or something else.

Next, if unconclusive, I'll swap batterys. Mine is easily found in the seat post. Guess his as well, so should be fairly straightforward .. just taking note of seatpost position :)

And while reading what I wrote .. I just realise I bought my son a 2nd hand Di2 (trek 10 speed ultegra, external battery) bike 3 wees ago ... So I'll check the Di2 compatibility chart to if that battery could serve for the test.

Any other hints of what to test while at it?

In the mean while ... I'm lucky enough to enjoy my recent speedconcept for my daily rides ... So no stress there :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdebackere wrote:
And while reading what I wrote .. I just realise I bought my son a 2nd hand Di2 (trek 10 speed ultegra, external battery) bike 3 wees ago ... So I'll check the Di2 compatibility chart to if that battery could serve for the test.
I'm pretty sure a 10S Di2 battery is compatible with 11S. That might give you a super easy test.

Always good to have extra bikes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something very similar happened to me in a crash where the TT buttons were hit.

I took the bike to the LBS. My mechanic said the 5 port junction was dead due to a short-circuit. I had to change the di2 buttons and the junction.

By the way, the 2 buttons Di2 have been discontinued by Shimano. Fortunately one online shop was anticipatory and bought plenty of them. They can't list them on their site but sell them through eBay or similar equivalent second-hand sites (I'm based in Spain)
Last edited by: anakinpm: May 8, 24 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 irresponsive after crash - tried the usual things [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Results of the tests:

with my son's bike:
- my battery on his and the other way around: nothing. According to the charts the batterys should be interchangeable
- Not possible to test my RD on his system since mix 11/10 speed which is not allowed.
So battery issue likely, but also RD could have issue. => non conclusive

With friends 11s bike:
- my RD on his system: works: HOURAY
- his battery on my bike: works

Conclusion: dead battery. That is: the battery part. The electronic parts still works correct according to Etube.

It's a mistery to me why my sons battery on my system didn't work ... maybe my mistake
[update]: maybe no longer a mistery: the compatibility charts have no flow for 1st gen external battery SM-BR1/2 with the newer EW-WU101 wireless unit on my bike.

I guess with the diagnostic module PCE I could have found that faster. But since it costs 300EUR, it seems overkill for the moment. Maybe keep an eye on a pre-owned sale.

Thanks for your inputs, especially Exxxviii, for directing me to the battery

Forum question: I now add some '[solved]' quote to the title?

Cheers,
Christof
Last edited by: cdebackere: May 9, 24 2:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding. And, if you edit your original post, you can change the subject line to add "corrected."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar type issue...
At the 70.3 Worlds in Mooloolaba in 2016 on race day DI2 Dura Ace 11 speed had no gears. Swapped batteries with the Shimano mechanic and still no gears. Had to put it in a middle gear on the rear and was going to be best I could do. Rear after a few km made it's way down the cassette and 54x11 it was for the day...
Alas I worked out it was overnight dew had made it's way into the old school control unit that you could cable tie to a brake cable outer type control units and drained the battery. I replaced the unit and purchased a new battery but still nothing. Tried another battery and nothing. Took to my local shop who could see everything but nothing. Then we noticed an asterix on the control unit. Then we found that Shimano were trying to get rid of these units so later newly released batteries whatever coding was incompatible with the unit but not external batteries. So I purchased an external battery and put it inside a compartment on the frame and still works fine.
Quote Reply