Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [JFHJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're on here telling one of the few people who's actually qualified to talk about this why he's wrong.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Don't bother ike, JFHJR did his own research.

Sick burn, dude. I mean truly epic.

You must be the mayor of burner town.

Burner town, population you!

Just curious. Have you studied this trial in sufficient detail that you can comfortably say there was no other connection discussed or are you taking that opinion from somewhere else?

Assuming your curiosity is legit (which I'm skeptical), I've followed it closely enough to realize the defense strategy to create reasonable doubt is to argue that Cohen was a cowboy. While Trump may have stuck his dick in anything that will stand still, knew about the NDAs and the catch-and-kill deals, he didn't instruct the falsification of records (which is the criminal charge).

That's the defense.

Cohen and Weisellberg are the two who can definitely say Trump instructed the falsification of records. Weisellberg's not there and Cohen blew himself up yesterday.

If I missed what else (something not circumstantial) that directly connects Trump to the falsification charge, please indulge me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
Thom wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Just curious. Have you studied this trial in sufficient detail that you can comfortably say there was no other connection discussed or are you taking that opinion from somewhere else?

Assuming your curiosity is legit (which I'm skeptical), I've followed it closely enough to realize the defense strategy to create reasonable doubt is to argue that Cohen was a cowboy. While Trump may have stuck his dick in anything that will stand still, knew about the NDAs and the catch-and-kill deals, he didn't instruct the falsification of records (which is the criminal charge).

That's the defense.

Cohen and Weisellberg are the two who can definitely say Trump instructed the falsification of records. Weisellberg's not there and Cohen blew himself up yesterday.

If I missed what else (something not circumstantial) that directly connects Trump to the falsification charge, please indulge me.

I haven't read 4 weeks of transcripts so I really don't know. There is the letter from Wesselberg and testimony from various Trump staff members. There may not be connections but from what I've seen reported, I don't feel like I can declare that there is no other evidence that he knew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
Thom wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That's the defense.

You are missing Gary Farro, Jeffrey McConney, Rhona Graff, Hope Hicks, David Pecker, multiple documents including some with handwritten notes, and an open mind.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
monty wrote:
Listening to the talking head on the way home from swimming, it appears that the defense had their gotcha moment with Cohen. But after listening to what it was, seemed trivial to me. But they only have to get one juror to think it is something more, and it will be couched as 100% vindication!!!

IT was something to the effect that on that 90 second phone call where the talked about Stormy, that they also talked about a 14 year old who was stalking Cohen. Apparently that was not disclosed before, the part with the teenager. SO they asked Cohen if they talked about that, and he said yes, as well as the other thing..

So they will run with this and try and get someone to believe it was all about the kid, and not about Stormy and the money paid out. Even though every single witness before this corroborates this exact scenario.. But Cohen is a lying piece of shit, so even when telling the truth, hard to get him to be a witness with any creditability. Which is always the. case in criminal trials, you often have to use criminals to get other criminals...

Trump is pumping his fist, thinks he just won this thing, which in his eyes, he well may have. Just needs one juror...

If you weren't listening in real time, you should find a source that's reliable to read about it. It was much worse than your summary.

Cohen is the only connection between the "paper" and Trump. If they can't connect Trump to the paper, they have a problem.

Today, they painted Cohen as a liar, yes, but also a liar who would (and has) benefited from the lie, and one who was bent on revenge.

The call where Cohen linked Trump to the paper, turns out was possibly Cohen calling Trump's security about a 14-year-old who was cranking Cohen. There were text messages leading up to the phone call. The defense showed it's reasonable to assume the call (which lasted 92 seconds) was about the 14-year-old and not the Stormy stuff. And that Cohen is lying that he spoke about the Stormy stuff. Apparently, this is the first time the 14-year-old has been mentioned at all. If this was the case, the prosecution really should have introduced the dual reason for the call. Now, they'll have to do it on redirect and it'll just look like he's lying because the defense caught him in a story.

I suspect today they got all the jurors.

What “paper” are you referring to? I don’t think there is any doubt that Trump wrote the checks to Cohen, which is 1/3d of the allegedly false business records. I agree that Cohen is an important witness but he is not the only link between Trump and the false business records.

My understanding is Cohen is the only one who can tie Trump directly.

Think about it this way: If they had a direct connection, they'd never put a convicted liar on the stand.

“Tie Trump directly” to what? To the scheme to kill bad stories before election? Pecker testified extensively about Trump’s role in that.

That's not what he's on trial for.

Actually, it is a very important part of what he is on trial for. Motive matters in most criminal cases, including this one. That is partly why the prosecution opened with Pecker. The fact that the payments were for campaign purposes, and not primarily for personal purposes, has been one of the key issues in the case.

The only criminal charge is falsifying business records. Everyone and everything else links Trump to the NDAs, the catch-and-kills, etc., but Cohen is the only one who puts the pen in Trump's hand telling Cohen to falsify the records. Stormy Daniels doesn't. David Pecker doesn't. Karen McDougal doesn't.

It's just Trump, Allen Weisselberg, and Cohen. And 2 of those 3 aren't testifying.

As I said just above, many of the false records are checks written by Trump. That puts the pen in Trump’s hand. As others here have noted, there are other facts further drawing the link. But, that is the simplest and clearest one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
Thom wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That's the defense.

You clearly haven't followed it "closely enough" to know that Trump's legal team denies he "stuck his dick in" anyone but his wife. They say Stormy is lying. If you followed it "closely enough" you would know the falsifying business records is a misdemeanor. The criminal charges are about election interference. Connecting the two may result in the falsifying business records being criminal as they were done in the furtherance of a crime.

It is clear to anyone who has been following this "closely enough" that Trump is guilty of falsifying business records. That he did this to aid a criminal election interference effort may be a bit of a stretch. There is also the chance that Trump will only be found guilty of the misdemeanors and not a felony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was pretty unanimous yesterday across all news stations I saw ( MSNBC, CNN, hell even Lawrence O Donnell) that Cohen went down in flames and came across as a self-serving liar with an axe to grind against Trump. DA surely must have someone else to rely on for what they needed from Cohen.

Even talk the DA may be in trouble for suborning perjury from Cohen as they knew he was lying. What a bad day in Court.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
Thom wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That's the defense.

You clearly haven't followed it "closely enough" to know that Trump's legal team denies he "stuck his dick in" anyone but his wife. They say Stormy is lying. If you followed it "closely enough" you would know the falsifying business records is a misdemeanor. The criminal charges are about election interference. Connecting the two may result in the falsifying business records being criminal as they were done in the furtherance of a crime.

It is clear to anyone who has been following this "closely enough" that Trump is guilty of falsifying business records. That he did this to aid a criminal election interference effort may be a bit of a stretch. There is also the chance that Trump will only be found guilty of the misdemeanors and not a felony.

"Well" "I guess" "I've been" "mistaken" "then".
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
It was pretty unanimous yesterday across all news stations I saw ( MSNBC, CNN, hell even Lawrence O Donnell) that Cohen went down in flames and came across as a self-serving liar with an axe to grind against Trump. DA surely must have someone else to rely on for what they needed from Cohen.

Even talk the DA may be in trouble for suborning perjury from Cohen as they knew he was lying. What a bad day in Court.

Why does any of that matter when you say, "It won't matter anyway right? This trial was over before it started. Guilty on all counts. Let's see what the punishment is."

Why do people pretend like they can predict the future? Not to worry, I'm sure president Desantis will pardon him.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
SDG wrote:

Why does any of that matter when you say, "It won't matter anyway right? This trial was over before it started. Guilty on all counts. Let's see what the punishment is."

Why do people pretend like they can predict the future? Not to worry, I'm sure president Desantis will pardon him.

Oh it doesn't matter. He will be found guilty for sure. This is all just performative in an attempt to sway some voters and then get a conviction for something, anything. No doubt he will be found guilty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

I disagree, I think you are reading what you want into what was said. He has admitted that he had an axe to grind. What I heard was they were unable to rattle him. Besides that, trumps attorney lost all credibility the minute he started the cross by asking cohen if he called him a whiney bitch and cohen admitted it sounded like something he would say.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
SDG wrote:

I disagree, I think you are reading what you want into what was said. He has admitted that he had an axe to grind. What I heard was they were unable to rattle him. Besides that, trumps attorney lost all credibility the minute he started the cross by asking cohen if he called him a whiney bitch and cohen admitted it sounded like something he would say.

Think of the person who would want to hire a known self-serving liar and pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars over more than a decade.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
monty wrote:
Listening to the talking head on the way home from swimming, it appears that the defense had their gotcha moment with Cohen. But after listening to what it was, seemed trivial to me. But they only have to get one juror to think it is something more, and it will be couched as 100% vindication!!!

IT was something to the effect that on that 90 second phone call where the talked about Stormy, that they also talked about a 14 year old who was stalking Cohen. Apparently that was not disclosed before, the part with the teenager. SO they asked Cohen if they talked about that, and he said yes, as well as the other thing..

So they will run with this and try and get someone to believe it was all about the kid, and not about Stormy and the money paid out. Even though every single witness before this corroborates this exact scenario.. But Cohen is a lying piece of shit, so even when telling the truth, hard to get him to be a witness with any creditability. Which is always the. case in criminal trials, you often have to use criminals to get other criminals...

Trump is pumping his fist, thinks he just won this thing, which in his eyes, he well may have. Just needs one juror...

If you weren't listening in real time, you should find a source that's reliable to read about it. It was much worse than your summary.

Cohen is the only connection between the "paper" and Trump. If they can't connect Trump to the paper, they have a problem.

Today, they painted Cohen as a liar, yes, but also a liar who would (and has) benefited from the lie, and one who was bent on revenge.

The call where Cohen linked Trump to the paper, turns out was possibly Cohen calling Trump's security about a 14-year-old who was cranking Cohen. There were text messages leading up to the phone call. The defense showed it's reasonable to assume the call (which lasted 92 seconds) was about the 14-year-old and not the Stormy stuff. And that Cohen is lying that he spoke about the Stormy stuff. Apparently, this is the first time the 14-year-old has been mentioned at all. If this was the case, the prosecution really should have introduced the dual reason for the call. Now, they'll have to do it on redirect and it'll just look like he's lying because the defense caught him in a story.

What “paper” are you referring to? I don’t think there is any doubt that Trump wrote the checks to Cohen, which is 1/3d of the allegedly false business records. I agree that Cohen is an important witness but he is not the only link between Trump and the false business records.

Think about it this way: If they had a direct connection, they'd never put a convicted liar on the stand.

“Tie Trump directly” to what? To the scheme to kill bad stories before election? Pecker testified extensively about Trump’s role in that.

Actually, it is a very important part of what he is on trial for. Motive matters in most criminal cases, including this one. That is partly why the prosecution opened with Pecker. The fact that the payments were for campaign purposes, and not primarily for personal purposes, has been one of the key issues in the case.

The only criminal charge is falsifying business records. Everyone and everything else links Trump to the NDAs, the catch-and-kills, etc., but Cohen is the only one who puts the pen in Trump's hand telling Cohen to falsify the records. Stormy Daniels doesn't. David Pecker doesn't. Karen McDougal doesn't.

It's just Trump, Allen Weisselberg, and Cohen. And 2 of those 3 aren't testifying.

As I said just above, many of the false records are checks written by Trump. That puts the pen in Trump’s hand. As others here have noted, there are other facts further drawing the link. But, that is the simplest and clearest one.

For placing responsibility on Trump, that responsibility can come from illegal instructions, but I assume it can come from ratification? Even if Trump didn’t say “fix the business records to hide my misdeeds,” Trump is responsible if he asks his fixer to fix things and then he knowingly writes a check that contains false information or will be used to falsify business records. His knowing approval for the illegal business records is damning when the buck stops with him because they are HIS business records (or business records for which he is ultimately responsible.)

It is naive to think Trump can escape responsibility for fraudulent business records because we don’t have a written document signed by him in front of a notary with instructions for the fraudulent records. His responsibility comes from his instructions, approval, ratification, etc.
Last edited by: Barks&Purrs: May 17, 24 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
It was pretty unanimous yesterday across all news stations I saw ( MSNBC, CNN, hell
even Lawrence O Donnell) that Cohen went down in flames and came across as a self-serving liar with an axe to grind against Trump. DA surely must have someone else to rely on for what they needed from Cohen.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
ike wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
monty wrote:

For placing responsibility on Trump, that responsibility can come from illegal instructions, but I assume it can come from ratification? Even if Trump didn’t say “fix the business records to hide my misdeeds,” Trump is responsible if he asks his fixer to fix things and then he knowingly writes a check that contains false information or will be used to falsify business records. His knowing approval for the illegal business records is damning when the buck stops with him because they are HIS business records (or business records for which he is ultimately responsible.)

It is naive to think Trump can escape responsibility for fraudulent business records because we don’t have a written document signed by him in front of a notary with instructions for the fraudulent records. His responsibility comes from his instructions, approval, ratification, etc.

Yes. Trump surely knows that checks are recorded in the ledgers. The checks themselves are (false) business records and they inevitably create additional (false) records when they are reflected in the ledgers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
It was pretty unanimous yesterday across all news stations I saw ( MSNBC, CNN, hell
even Lawrence O Donnell) that Cohen went down in flames and came across as a self-serving liar with an axe to grind against Trump. DA surely must have someone else to rely on for what they needed from Cohen.

Sure, because that is the only clip on Lawrence O'Donell. Ha. nice try. It was last night after yesterdays afternoon session. Try again.

Or you could just go to CNN where Anderson Cooper was raging about how bad Cohen had done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:

Sure, because that is the only clip on Lawrence O'Donell. Ha. nice try. It was last night after yesterdays afternoon session. Try again.

Or you could just go to CNN where Anderson Cooper was raging about how bad Cohen had done.

So as to not be confused with what clips you are referencing, how about you just link them for us?

Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what the New York Times said about Cohan under cross;

''
Cohen kept his cool.
He has been called a liar, a loser and a money-grubber in court. Through all of these attacks, Mr. Cohen has remained mostly calm, soft-spoken and deliberate on the stand.
Mr. Cohen also appeared unfazed as Mr. Blanche brought up slights and humiliations after Mr. Trump won the election in November 2016, potentially to provide a motive for Mr. Cohen’s testimony. But the witness largely stood firm, saying at one point that he was pleased with being Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer and that it was “the role that I wanted.”
The back-and-forth appeared to frustrate Mr. Blanche, who at one point rubbed his forehead after one of Mr. Cohen’s answers.

I looks to me like Donnie's lawyer was the one losing his cool!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:

sdg is using the fat orange one's playbook. People are saying(i will at least give him credit for naming names)too bad the names he chose didn't back up his supposed bad day hypothesis.

Quote Reply

Prev Next