Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong?
Quote | Reply
Okay squad, I'm here to learn from my mistakes: yesterday during the course of a 100km gravel fondo I flatted out three times. One flat might be bad luck, but three flats leaves me thinking it's due to rider error. All three times it was the back tire, and I've checked the tire for damage, but it seems okay.

The first flat was coming over a bridge with an exposed lip. I think I hit the lip at speed and the edge hammered the wheel pretty hard. As it turns out, a guy from the pointy end of the field was already fixing a flat at the same spot, and I think he also hit the bridge wrong.

The second flat was on a descent, I was trying to avoid potholes the whole way, but wonder if I was overweight on the back tire and just hit a divot too hard?

The third flat was a more gradual loss of pressure, so maybe a pinch flat from installing the second tube too hastily?

There were others out on the course with flats, including at least one rider with two or three flats as well, but instead of blaming the course or my gear, any thoughts on what I could improve? Tire pressure was on the higher side, but not pumped up like a road or a tri tire. What else could it be? Please don't spare my feelings!
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your overall wheel system setup?
  • Disc or rim brakes?
  • Rim material carbon or aluminum?
  • Internal wheel width?
  • Tire brand, model, & size?
  • Tubed or tubeless?
  • Tube type (if applicable) latex, butyl, other?
  • Tire pressure?

Last edited by: exxxviii: May 6, 24 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
What's your overall wheel system setup?
  • Disc or rim brakes?
  • Rim material carbon or aluminum?
  • Internal wheel width?
  • Tire brand, model, & size?
  • Tubed or tubeless?
  • Tube type (if applicable) latex, butyl, other?
  • Tire pressure?

Great questions, I really should have included this all from the jump:
-disc brakes
-rims are aluminum Hunt Four Season Disc
-the internal rim width is 622x19
-tubes were Continental Tour 28 all; 32/47-609/642
-tubed tires
-tube type-material is rubber, presta valves
-tire pressure: here is where I think things went wrong possibly; I was running ~35 PSI after the race director suggested going with less pressure due to course conditions. I am now wondering if I went too far and was insufficiently pressurized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I was suspecting. Your first flat was definitely a pinch flat. If your tire is indeed still sound as you describe, then probably all three flats were pinches.

Run tubeless if you can. It's still a debate for road. The debate has long since been over for MTB and gravel. Tubeless won.

You didn't mention tire width, but 35PSI is entering the Pinch Flat Zone for sure.

If you're going to run tubes, pump those numbers up. But if you embrace tubeless I can almost guarantee you'll come to appreciate it. Reduces pinch flat risk by like 90%. (still possible to cut the tire, but you have to have a truly savage rim strike vs. what it takes to cut a tube).

In terms of rider behavior, monitor for rim strike risks, and steer around them if you can. If you can't, do the front wheel then rear wheel bunny hop. If you're going too fast for that, the whole-bike hop. And in these hops you don't have to make a big show of getting air. Simply unweighting the tires significantly is often fine.
Last edited by: trail: May 6, 24 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:
-tire pressure: here is where I think things went wrong possibly; I was running ~35 PSI after the race director suggested going with less pressure due to course conditions. I am now wondering if I went too far and was insufficiently pressurized.

I'm guessing the RD was referring to running tubeless at 35 PSI, not tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
tubed tires

Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What tires were you using?
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
That's what I was suspecting. Your first flat was definitely a pinch flat. If your tire is indeed still sound as you describe, then probably all three flats were pinches.

Run tubeless if you can. It's still a debate for road. The debate has long since been over for MTB and gravel. Tubeless won.

You didn't mention tire width, but 35PSI is entering the Pinch Flat Zone for sure.

If you're going to run tubes, pump those numbers up. But if you embrace tubeless I can almost guarantee you'll come to appreciate it. Reduces pinch flat risk by like 90%. (still possible to cut the tire, but you have to have a truly savage rim strike vs. what it takes to cut a tube).

In terms of rider behavior, monitor for rim strike risks, and steer around them if you can. If you can't, do the front wheel then rear wheel bunny hop. If you're going too fast for that, the whole-bike hop. And in these hops you don't have to make a big show of getting air. Simply unweighting the tires significantly is often fine.

This is profoundly helpful feedback. I'm new to gravel riding-haven't done a tri in nine years after doing a lot of marathons and ultras, and I'm well behind the curve on bike insights.

I am now thinking hard about switching to tubeless as recommended, but at the same time clearly need to upgrade my trail skills as you describe!
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Irezumi wrote:

I'm guessing the RD was referring to running tubeless at 35 PSI, not tubes.

Ah, this is all starting to make sense now! This was my first gravel event, so I am starting to realize what looks like a classic rookie error!
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What tires were you using?

I should have also mentioned this from the jump: I'm running Challenge Gravel Grinder 38s. My LBS expert described them as a bit more race oriented as opposed to more rugged, and I suppose this may also be a factor, possibly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a setup issue. Switch to tubeless and learn how to bunny hop over hazards. I’ve had to jump over many animals and curbs before. But yeah. Seems like the pressure was way too low for tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
Definitely a setup issue. Switch to tubeless and learn how to bunny hop over hazards. I’ve had to jump over many animals and curbs before. But yeah. Seems like the pressure was way too low for tubes.

This is the conclusion I am coming to as well: go tubeless and improve my technical skills. All part of the gravel learning curve, I suspect.

I really appreciate all of the insights from this community!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest looking at a tire pressure calculator like the Silca version or similar from other sites. Your weight is important, so the total weight of bike and you should be part of the calculation. Strangely for a 38 mm tire casing (should be actual measured width) the Silca calculator say 35 ish PSI back and slightly less front (roughly 1.5 psi less in front). It does sound like pinch flats though so something is out of wack. Enve on their chart have it as around 40 psi? Flo is sort of in the middle or similar to Enve. It is important to know the actual width of the tire on the wheel. It is tire volume that is the main factor in tire pressure calculations.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Flats in One Ride: What Am I Doing Wrong? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
I suggest looking at a tire pressure calculator like the Silca version or similar from other sites. Your weight is important, so the total weight of bike and you should be part of the calculation. Strangely for a 38 mm tire casing (should be actual measured width) the Silca calculator say 35 ish PSI back and slightly less front (roughly 1.5 psi less in front). It does sound like pinch flats though so something is out of wack. Enve on their chart have it as around 40 psi? Flo is sort of in the middle or similar to Enve. It is important to know the actual width of the tire on the wheel. It is tire volume that is the main factor in tire pressure calculations.

That's a great resource! I've just run the numbers based on my set-up's inputs, and Silca recommends 33.5 in the back and 32 in the front (for tires with tubes). I will certainly be using this tool before my next gravel fondo. Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some inserts.. tannus and vittoria make them
Quote Reply