Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I find its just easier to ask here for nuances left out of athlete guide:

1. When can we use the swim venue to practice (I have not swam in a wetsuit since Aug last year)
  2. What is the water temp in Lake
  3. Anyone know how massive the climb is out of lake (water level)
  4. The run course looks different from 70.3 Worlds 2022, There is an extra out and back at the top end of the course. That seems like it would add more hills
  5. On the run course map the elevation profile of the first loop and second loop are different. Do we just run the extra out and back at the top end of the course on lap one but not lap two?
  6. Athlete guide says we can leave bike shoes and helmet on bike, so we may have nothing in the bike gear bag other than use it to dump wetsuit and goggles back in?
  7. Any parking tips for race morning to catch shuttle to swim start

Any other questions, place them here and we can help each other answer. Looks like Sat is hottest day of the week.

If anyone wants to join me for rides, I am in St. George on vacation all week and plan to do Snow Canyon Mon-Tue-Wed mornings.

A good spot for swim training is San Hollow Aquatic Center:

https://sgcityutah.gov/..._detail_T18_R113.php

It is only a few miles from Snow Canyon too. I may do a swim there + snow canyon ride on Tuesday AM
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sometimes I find its just easier to ask here for nuances left out of athlete guide:

1. When can we use the swim venue to practice (I have not swam in a wetsuit since Aug last year)
  4. The run course looks different from 70.3 Worlds 2022, There is an extra out and back at the top end of the course. That seems like it would add more hills
  5. On the run course map the elevation profile of the first loop and second loop are different. Do we just run the extra out and back at the top end of the course on lap one but not lap two?
  6. Athlete guide says we can leave bike shoes and helmet on bike, so we may have nothing in the bike gear bag other than use it to dump wetsuit and goggles back in?

Any other questions, place them here and we can help each other answer. Looks like Sat is hottest day of the week.

If anyone wants to join me for rides, I am in St. George on vacation all week and plan to do Snow Canyon Mon-Tue-Wed mornings.

A good spot for swim training is San Hollow Aquatic Center:

https://sgcityutah.gov/..._detail_T18_R113.php

It is only a few miles from Snow Canyon too. I may do a swim there + snow canyon ride on Tuesday AM

1. I believe Saturday during bike drop off otherwise you have to pay to get in to park and swim.
2. 63 degrees as per Current Conditions | Utah State Parks
3.It's just a long boat ramp.
4. It is, you run over and up Diagonal St. a bit further. They removed a loop through a park on the other side of the course.
5. No it's two loops but what you don't do on the second is the run from T2 to the roundabout.
6. If that's all you need, then yes. I think you just can't have anything on the ground.
7. I just park in the residential neighborhood near where the bus pick up is.

See you there!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the bottom of the Sand hollow entrance to the top of the sand dune hill, it's about 300ft. The sand dune climb itself is about 200 ft. According to my garmin, which is sometimes high or low...

My pro tip is to make sure you stop by the Farmstead bakery when dropping off and picking up your bike.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 29, 24 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey Dev,

Haven't been to St. George in a year, but my best work at your questions:

1. I've 'snuck in' at the beach at the south side of the reservoir (turn right going through the gate instead of continuing straight toward transition). I've also done this only at bike drop to avoid the entrance fee.
2. No idea, its been 56-58F in years past, right? I find it to be really nice in the morning since the desert is so cold before the sun comes up.
3. Spring is usually higher than the fall, I was quite surprised at Worlds. Boat ramp run is usually pretty short in May.
4. It is different, it actually has less elevation gain though! Maybe a little more 'rolling' than previous years.
5. Agreed, same question, but the mile markers line up with having 2 full, identical loops. This is on my list to ask at the race.
6. I guess I should re-read the athlete guide, but yes this is usually the case in St. George (except at championship races).
7. If I tell you my favorite place to park there may not be any spots left! ;) but I like to park between S200W and S200E, and then as close to Tabernacle (but on the south side) as I can get. Avoids road closures both pre- and post-race.

See you soon!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey Dev,

Haven't been to St. George in a year, but my best work at your questions:

1. I've 'snuck in' at the beach at the south side of the reservoir (turn right going through the gate instead of continuing straight toward transition). I've also done this only at bike drop to avoid the entrance fee.
2. No idea, its been 56-58F in years past, right? I find it to be really nice in the morning since the desert is so cold before the sun comes up.
3. Spring is usually higher than the fall, I was quite surprised at Worlds. Boat ramp run is usually pretty short in May.
4. It is different, it actually has less elevation gain though! Maybe a little more 'rolling' than previous years.
5. Agreed, same question, but the mile markers line up with having 2 full, identical loops. This is on my list to ask at the race.
6. I guess I should re-read the athlete guide, but yes this is usually the case in St. George (except at championship races).
7. If I tell you my favorite place to park there may not be any spots left! ;) but I like to park between S200W and S200E, and then as close to Tabernacle (but on the south side) as I can get. Avoids road closures both pre- and post-race.

See you soon!

Thanks for the pro tips. There is a couple from Argentina staying in the condo next door and they are itching to go try the swim venue, so I may take them using your access suggesting.

The ramp out of the swim to T1 is tough for me with my lumbar spine challenge. When I go from unweighted in the swim, to weighted on land, it is bad enough, but an immediate long uphill I can do major damage if I treat my 58 year old body like I am 28 and usually in the thick of race action I do stupid things that are ingrained from racing as a 28 year old or even 18 year old (did my first tri when I was 19 but ran track before then) so it is easy to do dumb things!

Maybe car pool is in order so I don't take your parking haha!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan will you be here for St. George? Or is this based on past year's experience? I hope you are around. Would be nice to catch up for a coffee....or if you have not made up your mind, I have an extra bedroom that you can stay for free!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
From the bottom of the Sand hollow entrance to the top of the sand dune hill, it's about 300ft. The sand dune climb itself is about 200 ft. According to my garmin, which is sometimes high or low...

My pro tip is to make sure you stop by the Farmstead bakery when dropping off and picking up your bike.

re: Farmstead, see my post here about a meet up on their patio with free coffee and pastries, and a Wove saddle giveaway: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

And Dev, would love to meet in person after all these years!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miles, I will come by at Thu at noon. Would be great to meet and maybe I can replace my 12 year old Bonetrager Hilo while I am at it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Miles, I will come by at Thu at noon. Would be great to meet and maybe I can replace my 12 year old Bonetrager Hilo while I am at it!!!

Perfect 💪

Nick
nlehecka@wovebike.com

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also what widths do those saddles come in? I generally go with 143 in specialized as a point of reference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That parking area is hardly a secret and may even be published on the race website :)

I'll try and find some pictures of the ramp. From memory, I wanna say in the spring it was 3-5 seconds from standing up from the swim to being on the parking lot pavement whereas in the fall for WC it was 10-15 seconds for that transition (due to the water level).

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Bryan will you be here for St. George? Or is this based on past year's experience? I hope you are around. Would be nice to catch up for a coffee....or if you have not made up your mind, I have an extra bedroom that you can stay for free!!!

I’ll be there racing! Would love to see you! I’m sharing a VRBO with a friend, but thank you!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 29, 24 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rear is 146mm, though when in the aerobars, the rider is on the nose. Here’s a comparison to other saddles and feel free to email me with more specific questions

https://www.instagram.com/wovebike/p/CtB3zacOdSS/

I’ll also plan to have a pair of Ed’s VeloVetta Monarch shoes on display to check out in person.

And if you want to meet up with Brian for coffee, you two can have coffee and pastries on me 💪

Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 29, 24 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a year of pastries that is slowing me down up snow canyon. I am up for the Macca approved cabbage and water diet this week LOL. There is something like 1400m to haul my extra mass between bike and run, so I may just need to go go in full fasting mode (all of the above optionally in pink).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have a year of pastries that is slowing me down up snow canyon. I am up for the Macca approved cabbage and water diet this week LOL. There is something like 1400m to haul my extra mass between bike and run, so I may just need to go go in full fasting mode (all of the above optionally in pink).

I'll be sure to get some Mortal diet drink mix for you ....

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more question about the run loop. Does it have the steep uphill on the golf cart path like 2022 worlds and is the "on fairway" section the same. in 2022, the men had the benefit of 2500 women packing down the grass twice (thanks ladies fo the community service to make the run easier for the men). Is the grass part the same?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grass appears to be the same. Lucky the ground is hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know for sure which steep golf cart path we're talking about, but it sure looks like we're avoiding that final climb up into the parking lot for the golf course. I vaguely remember a small steep section at the bottom of the lower leg of the golf course, but not certain... I don't remember the fairways ever being too soft, even on the first lap for the women's day (though I was NOT at the front of the field that day).

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to the lake today and as soon as they realized me competing they said entry is free for Ironman participants.

For the bike gear I am not sure, in the athlete guide they mention that no shoes clipped on the bikes are allowed due to the narrow path leading out of T1. However some pages later they say you can have your shoes on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [Runner117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't know why this is a question every single event (and why the QA/QC is so bad on the athlete guide). And how strict enforcement will be on said question of shoes on bikes.

Page 8, Gear Bags
Quote:
With the narrow mount line area and bike chute, we don’t feel it is safe to have shoes clipped to bike

Page 28, Bike Course
Quote:
Helmets, bike shoes, and other cycling gear can be placed around the bike in transition.

Which page said shoes COULD be on bike?

Great to hear that state park entry is free!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
I really don't know why this is a question every single event (and why the QA/QC is so bad on the athlete guide). And how strict enforcement will be on said question of shoes on bikes.

Page 8, Gear Bags
Quote:
With the narrow mount line area and bike chute, we don’t feel it is safe to have shoes clipped to bike

Page 28, Bike Course
Quote:
Helmets, bike shoes, and other cycling gear can be placed around the bike in transition.

Which page said shoes COULD be on bike?

Great to hear that state park entry is free!

That quote on page 28 is exactly what I mean. Around the bike for me is synonymous to shoes on the bike isn’t it?

Guess we will learn at the briefing 😉
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. George logistics - Can We use Swim Venue and any other questions [Runner117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah understood thanks! Yes. Yayyy briefing!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
Ah understood thanks! Yes. Yayyy briefing!

There will probably be two answers at the briefing too given multiple briefings !!! With them allowing shoes near bike in one line perhaps they are allowing them to be near bike and you put shoes one and jog to mount line versus shoes in pedals and us age groupers weaving all over the place in the narrow start chute trying to put them on? So maybe what they mean is "no mounting bike without your shoes on your feet first"....in other words, no flying mounts. Shoes on humans not on bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at the briefing so a few items to clarify.

1. You can have your T1 shoes and helmet at your bike and they said that you could do a flying mount with shoes in pedals, but because of the narrow start chute they are recommending against it
  2. Water level is lake is literally 100 feet higher than 22 Worlds. The water temp is cold, partially related to the point above. There is hardly much snow in the mountains, so all that snow melt means a colder lake. My estimate was sub 15C. I went and bought a new wetsuit as my old one has several holes and was just letting too much cold water in. It was ten years old and needed to be retired.
  3. For the run, both loops are identical at the top end. At the bottom end, after the out and back you go to finish at the roundabout after loop 2 (turn left) and after loop 1 go right and back onto loop 2
  4. Like many races you can't access T2 bags on race morning, so if you have any special nutrition you drop it off with T2 bag on Friday
  5. They will have pumps in T1 race morning. You don't need one
  6. Make sure you stuff your wetsuit and goggles back into your T1 bag or you won't get it back!!!
  7. You can't swim at swim start during T1 gear drop off. You have to go to south end of lake at the beach
  8. Plan on getting calories you may get from Gatorade Endurance formula from something else as we will have Mortal hydration on the course. My rough math is it has 1/4 the calories per bottle (someone correct me if I am wrong, but it feels like for each bottle of Mortal, I need a gel to close the Gatorade calorie gap. It is more electrolyte dense though.

OK that's what I learned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re the best, Dev - was running around like a chicken with my head cut off due to bike travel errors (all is resolved and all caused by me) and I missed today’s briefing.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply