Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston
Quote | Reply
I have the answer,but with our googling... What can you guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I saw the same thing -- someone ran pretty quick in Hoka's. Won't say the time in case that's the right one
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
I think I saw the same thing -- someone ran pretty quick in Hoka's. Won't say the time in case that's the right one

you win,thanks for playing... would have been nice to see more reponses here as hoka was the big thing in tri ~10 years ago

https://twitter.com/.../1783162808248520757
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it even matter? Fast people will be fast, no matter what shoes.

Fastest marathon bare foot is sub 2:20…
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

2:15:16 to be exact. 2:45 for a female

It would be nice to see someone try and break those records, all the latest records are thanks to carbon era. the 2:45 seems within more reach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

It would be nice to see someone try and break those records, all the latest records are thanks to carbon era. the 2:45 seems within more reach

you think it's just shoes???

Pre carbon fiber records are basically the record has come down under 3 min in ten years. you think there isn't more to it like training ( drugs), course pacing, etc.

This years Boston winner was 4 min slower with carbon fiber then the record without???

You are so obsessed with carbon shoes it's odd. they do not make people that much faster, they do make sloppy feel less discomfort. More of the benefit is less soreness to keep the training load high like swimming with a wetsuit vs swimming without.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

Pre carbon fiber records are basically the record has come down under 3 min in ten years. you think there isn't more to it like training ( drugs), course pacing, etc.

This years Boston winner was 4 min slower with carbon fiber then the record without???

You are so obsessed with carbon shoes it's odd. they do not make people that much faster, they do make sloppy feel less discomfort. More of the benefit is less soreness to keep the training load high like swimming with a wetsuit vs swimming without.

Agreed with all that. I do find it a bit strange some get so focused on running shoes, but are fine with all the cycling tech which arguably plays a much bigger role.

The fact that 2:34:39 was the fastest non carbon fibre shoe marathon only shows how widespread their use has become. At this point they are basically the new normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

Boston. record was with a severe tail wind assistance... yes there are other variables, but even controlled the data does not lie. WIth our current knowledge, yes the barefoot record has a chance to be broken. But with out big $$$ from some shoe company, doubt anyone will go for it. Maybe some gel / drink company at best...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

Go out and do a TT in supershoes v the very best non-plated shoes. It's an order of magnitude difference nearly equivalent with aerobars, wetsuits, disc wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

Go out and do a TT in supershoes v the very best non-plated shoes. It's an order of magnitude difference nearly equivalent with aerobars, wetsuits, disc wheels.

Agreed. The shoes have made a HUGE difference and it's pretty well known. To think otherwise is unimaginable.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
[
You are so obsessed with carbon shoes it's odd.

My favorite part is that after years of every brand confirming that most of the benefit is from the foam, he's still focused on the carbon.

I suspect a 2:05 plated supershoe runner would run no slower than a 2:06 in the Superblasts
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

Agreed. The shoes have made a HUGE difference and it's pretty well known. To think otherwise is unimaginable.

They do and they don’t . Not as much as you think for speed but for recovery and tissue damage and maintaining timing errors when fatigued.

Lange 2017 kona 2:39, super shoes 2022 kona 2:41 Lange on a flat course dead legs from the bike 2:32 nice.

I had to wear 2015 runners last year at Oceanside due to a blister from my Nike zoom x 2 , ran faster well frozen then my other half marathons that year , 3 and 4 min faster . Too many factors of course to compare but I wasn’t all of sudden unable to run well and lost control of my legs and had no speed.

I will choose them over a normal if I have the option fyi.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon shoes obviously help a great deal, especially with something underrated like recovery. I do think the coverage they get is a bit overblown. In perfect conditions, elite marathoners seem to be getting back 60-90s over 26.2 miles. You rarely get perfect conditions & athletes aren't always perfect with pacing. It's not just as simple as put shoes on & run a ton faster. There's a modest boost in most cases. Some people aren't huge responders as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

They do and they don’t . Not as much as you think for speed but for recovery and tissue damage and maintaining timing errors when fatigued.

Lange 2017 kona 2:39, super shoes 2022 kona 2:41 Lange on a flat course dead legs from the bike 2:32 nice.

I had to wear 2015 runners last year at Oceanside due to a blister from my Nike zoom x 2 , ran faster well frozen then my other half marathons that year , 3 and 4 min faster . Too many factors of course to compare but I wasn’t all of sudden unable to run well and lost control of my legs and had no speed.

I will choose them over a normal if I have the option fyi.

Anecdotes don't matter. Some respond better but there is no question. Pebax foam and plates work and the research is obvious.

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: GaryGeiger: Apr 27, 24 19:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Carbon shoes obviously help a great deal, especially with something underrated like recovery. I do think the coverage they get is a bit overblown. In perfect conditions, elite marathoners seem to be getting back 60-90s over 26.2 miles. You rarely get perfect conditions & athletes aren't always perfect with pacing. It's not just as simple as put shoes on & run a ton faster. There's a modest boost in most cases. Some people aren't huge responders as well.

60-90s seems a bit too low for me. If it’s true, then possibly because getting faster at those speeds is a log curve effort. I’ve tested Alphaflys against Air Zoom 5 and Invincible 1. The gaps to Alphaflys were 7-8s and 17-20s, respectively. This is for target IM marathon race pace of 5min/km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

60-90s seems a bit too low for me. If it’s true, then possibly because getting faster at those speeds is a log curve effort. I’ve tested Alphaflys against Air Zoom 5 and Invincible 1. The gaps to Alphaflys were 7-8s and 17-20s, respectively. This is for target IM marathon race pace of 5min/km.

The slower time you run, the bigger time difference you get, but percentage is similar.So 2:01 guy gets 90s, 3:30 person 5 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

They may not be fast for everyone, but they are fast for me. It has been almost fourty years since I won my first race and I have been racing pretty much ever since then. The fastest 5k that I had run the decade before getting carbon shoes was a 17:38 (not bad for a grey haired guy) after getting carbon plated shoes I have been running between 16:58 -17:13. That is 5-8 sec/km. Over 42km of a marathon that is a 3:30 - 5:36 in time savings. How much do you think people pay for aero bike components that can save them that type of time? Free speed is free speed. I am not sure if I get the same time saving at other distances, but my PR in the half marathon, improved by 6 minutes after I got carbon shoes and my marathon PR improved by more than twice that. So…Carbon shoes aren’t that much faster for some people, but for me it took a decade of dedicated training to cut 30 seconds of my 5k time and the carbon shoes got me more than that with no effort on my part at all. If you don’t think that there are pro’s seeing big gains you are fooling yourself.
Last edited by: curtish26: Apr 28, 24 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
In Reply To:
Quote:

They may not be fast for everyone, but they are fast for me. It has been almost fourty years since I won my first race and I have been racing pretty much ever since then. The fastest 5k that I had run the decade before getting carbon shoes was a 17:38 (not bad for a grey haired guy) after getting carbon plated shoes I have been running between 16:58 -17:13. That is 5-8 sec/km. Over 42km of a marathon that is a 3:30 - 5:36 in time savings. How much do you think people pay for aero bike components that can save them that type of time? Free speed is free speed. I am not sure if I get the same time saving at other distances, but my PR in the half marathon, improved by 6 minutes after I got carbon shoes and my marathon PR improved by more than twice that. So…Carbon shoes aren’t that much faster for some people, but for me it took a decade of dedicated training to cut 30 seconds of my 5k time and the carbon shoes got me more than that with no effort on my part at all. If you don’t think that their are pro’s seeing similar improvements you are fooling yourself.

I never said they aren’t beneficial keep up with the posts and the posters history of this thread for 5 years he has been obsessed with carbon shoes ( even those he is against them and never used them) and doesn’t think they count in the record books as they help too much.

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest non carbon shoes at Boston [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
In Reply To:
Quote:

They may not be fast for everyone, but they are fast for me. It has been almost fourty years since I won my first race and I have been racing pretty much ever since then. The fastest 5k that I had run the decade before getting carbon shoes was a 17:38 (not bad for a grey haired guy) after getting carbon plated shoes I have been running between 16:58 -17:13. That is 5-8 sec/km. Over 42km of a marathon that is a 3:30 - 5:36 in time savings. How much do you think people pay for aero bike components that can save them that type of time? Free speed is free speed. I am not sure if I get the same time saving at other distances, but my PR in the half marathon, improved by 6 minutes after I got carbon shoes and my marathon PR improved by more than twice that. So…Carbon shoes aren’t that much faster for some people, but for me it took a decade of dedicated training to cut 30 seconds of my 5k time and the carbon shoes got me more than that with no effort on my part at all. If you don’t think that there are pro’s seeing big gains you are fooling yourself.

I am in the same boat, kinda.
Ran a sub 38 10k last year in VF2s, PB by 2 mins almost, but I also blew up horribly in VF2s in 2 marathons.
My open mara PB was obtained in Claytons 2s and my best 70.3 run leg was in Clifton 3s :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply