Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it. Just heard that Gatorade is out as the "Official Hydration Drink" of the UF Gators and if the Gators can't even get Gatorade...
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Are they actually discontinuing their Endurance formula? As in I should go stockpile some from Amazon?

Yes.

Seems like Gatorade's business is a bit of a mess right now. No sympathy on my end given how much they raised prices and shrinkflated their containers (32oz -> 28oz) over the past few years.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Are they actually discontinuing their Endurance formula? As in I should go stockpile some from Amazon?

Yes.

Seems like Gatorade's business is a bit of a mess right now. No sympathy on my end given how much they raised prices and shrinkflated their containers (32oz -> 28oz) over the past few years.

I've always been confused by Gatorade's sponsorship of Ironman. They have an
activation booth with staff and samples at a tradeshow where people are buying stuff.

And they aren't selling their own product. Multiple times I would have been happy to buy a few tubs.

If Gatorade feels their sponsorship of IM wasn't worth it, they should have been selling product there. I'm sure at every event they could be selling multiple pallets of the stuff with some event specials etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure everyone wants to talk about this still...

But the CEO discussed concerns here:
https://open.spotify.com/...bucLRGSUyRbGNrmsOZPA

Their approach is basically that you should fuel with Maurten and hydrate with them.

Fair enough if that's your strategy, but leave out the stevia.

Then she says the stevia makes you want to drink more of it so you don't dehydrate. Hmmmm, hard pass.

So Stevia, a known dehydrator, that only contributes to sweet-mouth fatigue is added to make you want more?

If she wants to make that claim, better back it up. I can back up the opposite:
"To date, there is no strong evidence that low- and no-calorie sweeteners, including stevia sweeteners, enhance appetite or cravings in humans,26,43 and some randomized trials have demonstrated the opposite effect—including a decrease in hunger52 and reduced dessert intake among those who drank low-calorie-sweetened " (citations at url)
https://foodinsight.org/...Dcalorie%2Dsweetened

No the reality is apparently Ironman and she thinks no one should fuel with their hydration and just grab 4 maurten gels at every aid station.

And I thought I was ambitious in what I stuff I my pockets already!?!

She does break down some math that suggests you should only need 2 extra gels to make up for what you lost not having Gatorade. I didn't do the math to check that out.

As I've said before, I do feel sorry for the minefield they've stepped in. I'm happy that IM is about to get a sponsor and I want every business to succeed in its market. But I'm just confused at how anyone thinks this is that market.

The guy with his Stanely mug in a forklift outside all day might be the ideal market here. Sitting, sweating, but not needing a crazy amount of calories.

I still can't wrap my head around any activity more calorie intensive than Ironman and match that with an intentional calorie reduction strategy.

Good luck Mortal. I won't turn my nose at the cup if I grab it by mistake, but when my gel flask runs out as I'm hitting the aid stations, I'll be back to water.

By the way, I was also a bit miffed a few years back when I jumped on a Black Friday sale of First Endurance Pro based on some pro recommendations and I noticed the damn thing had Stevia in it. Never again EFS I said. An I did just notice that First Endurance actually stopped adding Stevia at least in some brands. Good. But by then I've been making my own science concoction and not looking back.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 23, 24 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [brad21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seem recall doing that race. 🤦‍♂️

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
She does break down some math that suggests you should only need 2 extra gels to make up for what you lost not having Gatorade. I didn't do the math to check that out.

The front-page post from Alex suggests a scenario where you'd need 90g of carbs on the bike for a 6 hour 70.3. If we're assuming a 3 hour bike, then...if you're taking Mortal, then you're missing 80g per hour or 240g total before you need to add gels. Each Maurten 100 is ~25g of carbs, so you'd need just over 3 Maurten gels per hour or 9 gels total to make up the deficit.

Compare vs Gatorate Endurance and based on the same math, 900ml fluid per hour, and if you're out there 3 hrs on the bike, you need 2.7L of fluid. If you're taking that as only Gatorade endurance, that's 3.8 bottles at 52g of carbs each or 198g total carbs from drink. If you need 270g total, then you're short 72g, or just under 3 gels total.

The difference is 2 gels per hour, not total, for a 70.3.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 23, 24 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who else feels this is like a dystopian scene from the movie, Idiocracy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqIJZeeXEc

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 23, 24 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

The front-page post from Alex suggests a scenario where you'd need 90g of carbs on the bike for a 6 hour 70.3. If we're assuming a 3 hour bike, then...if you're taking Mortal, then you're missing 80g per hour or 240g total before you need to add gels. Each Maurten 100 is ~25g of carbs, so you'd need just over 3 Maurten gels per hour or 9 gels total to make up the deficit.

Compare vs Gatorate Endurance and based on the same math, 900ml fluid per hour, and if you're out there 3 hrs on the bike, you need 2.7L of fluid. If you're taking that as only Gatorade endurance, that's 3.8 bottles at 52g of carbs each or 198g total carbs from drink. If you need 270g total, then you're short 72g, or just under 3 gels total.

The difference is 2 gels per hour, not total, for a 70.3.

I'm not going to listen to her entire podcast, but you can twist the numbers around to get whatever answer you want. She probably said something like each athlete takes 1 Gatorade and 1 Maurten on the bike and run, so you just swap out the Gatorade for the Maurten. The athlete that pounds 6 gatorades tho is gong to need more Maurtens to replace that.

Either way, it's a obfuscating claim. She needs to paint it in a positive light but there's not much positive light to be found.

Also it's completely absurd to suggest that in a race, where the point is to finish as quickly as possible, that athletes should eat AND drink to meet their nutrition needs, when countless commercial products are available to just drink your nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Maurten gels wouldn't be so bad if they had sodium. And I'm not sure you could even hit 700-1,000+mg of sodium per hour relying solely on Mortal? Is it that salty? I plan on completing the run at IM TX only by relying on aid stations for water/ice. I'll carry gels/salt for my carbs and sodium. Same with the bike, only water from aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything old is new again...... :)
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 23, 24 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Everything old is new again...... :)

Worked for Taylor Knibb 😜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need Nick Bare and BPN nutrition to step in here and start supplying their G1M sport product.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Good luck Mortal. I won't turn my nose at the cup if I grab it by mistake, but when my gel flask runs out as I'm hitting the aid stations, I'll be back to water.

I see both sides of the argument in this discussion, but this comment seems specifically interesting. The primary complaint is that there are (basically) no calories in Mortal, and your solution is to drink water, which both has no calories, AND no electrolytes? Surely a drink with some sodium is better than just straight water.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't really needs Special Needs bags at Roth as you can have someone give you your items directly as long as they are within 100m of the aid station on the bike and run.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
- Maybe having a Mortal Hydration drink is better than having a Gatorade drink filled with sugars

This line alluding to sugars as the enemy is a glaring admittance that you know absolutely nothing about this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacob2727 wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

I see both sides of the argument in this discussion, but this comment seems specifically interesting. The primary complaint is that there are (basically) no calories in Mortal, and your solution is to drink water, which both has no calories, AND no electrolytes? Surely a drink with some sodium is better than just straight water.

Agree. But not one with stevia. Salt tabs and/or my previous salt intake from the gel bottle will have to cover it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
jacob2727 wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Agree. But not one with stevia. Salt tabs and/or my previous salt intake from the gel bottle will have to cover it.

But where are you going to get your calories?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Mortal Hydration is better than Gatorade [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
jacob2727 wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

But where are you going to get your calories?

That's what he's saying. All of the calorie-containing options also have sodium. So if you're trying to fuel/hydrate/maintain sodium balance then you're either going to be over-hydrated or underfueled...or eschewing Mortal.

A small part of me hopes that IM see's pallets full of unused MORTAL HYDRATION ENDURANCE FLASK bottles after every race. I know that's not how sponsorships work, but a man can dream.
Quote Reply

Prev Next