Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman race nutrition
Quote | Reply
Follow up to previous post . Please provide helpful comment .

Full Ironman Nutrition . ( First time at this distance )
Weather morning will be low to mid 50 degrees and high in low to upper 80s.
Not a huge sweater pretty normal and have no idea how to calculate or do I really want to.

Breakfast 1 bagel almond butter , half pack store bought microwave jasmine white rice and banana .
1 Gatorade 16 Oz and a coffee 3 hours before race. Then sipping on another 16 oz Gatorade up to hour or so before race.

1 40 gram beta fuel gel 45 to 30 minute before swim. (1.5 hour or less swim )

Bike 4 - 20 oz bottles super carb seven scoops per bottle .
1 Amrita bar hour at 2 and and hour 4 and maybe 2 40 gram gels sis beta or Sis electrolytes gel during this time also??
( 6.5 or 7.5 hour bike ride )

Run- 1 sis beta fuel 40 gram gel every hour and sipping on Gatorade first half of run and then switching to coke for final part of run.
(4-5 hour run)

I have done 12 half Ironmans using same breakfast , 1 gel before swim, 2 bottles Skratch 20 oz and only Gatorade , Red Bull and coke sipping in past with no problems . Never did gels.

I weigh 200 pounds age 58 male . 6 month training . No problem swimming 3500 yards , biking 4 -5 hours 60-80 miles , bricks 4 hour bike 1.5 to 2 hour runs and long runs by them selves 2.5 hour on weekends . During the training I ate a bagel or cliff bar before the 1 hour swim session, breakfast before bike alone and Rick has been 1 bagel with 1 banana and during bike and brick sessions 2 20 oz Skratch super carb and Amrita bars if hungry . Breakfast before long run by itself was bagel and banana breakfast and after first hour did sis beta fuel for 2 hour run . On more intense interval bikes and runs early in week I did 1 beta fuel sis gel ample time before each session same with swims . No breakfast before interval runs , half bagel or banana before swim if I got up early enough.

I also did 6 half marathon runs during 6 month training . Average time 2 hour . Usually did the bagel and banana breakfast with 1 sis beta gel 1 at start of race and 2nd at half of run !

I know their is not a wizard out their with magic advise and yes I understand everyone is different . Can any one let me know what they think of this plan. I have tried to do the calculations etc but I am not that guy ! Help please for advise .

Thank You!!!!!!

Patrick Brittingham
Last edited by: Paddyb: Apr 13, 24 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman race nutrition [Paddyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you're a pretty experienced racer. Fueling for 12 70.3s should help you figure out the full distance. Just do the math & add up your carbs/sodium/sugar/etc. Precision Hydration has a free tool where you can enter in info & get a custom plan using their stuff. Easy enough to sub out & use whatever you're comfortable with. The general rule of thumb is to get in 60-90g/carbs/hr. Some pros are trying to push that a little higher. It's not a secret that you can race better on less depleted muscles.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman race nutrition [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank You!!!!!
In Reply To:

Patrick Brittingham
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman race nutrition [Paddyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to tell you how much carbs you do or don't need but I will without knowing Skratch super carbs all I can assume is that 7 scoops to a bottle will be super concentrated and four bottles of the stuff. What I have found in my 13 IM's is that anything super strong and no variation you get tired and sickly of pretty fast as the race wears on, be it bottles or gels and you become repulsed taking it. My suggestion is at best mix the flavours of your bottles maybe to try and add some variety. Other option have a few super concentrate bottles to sip then some water say just before going into aid stations and a few you can drink more easily?

Also I consume nowhere near that much sugar but found for a large portion of my IM's I ended up with GI distress on the run and can be an uncomfortable and desperate section to the next porta loo. I had played with Ucan but only used it solely not liking the taste or consistency so moved away from it. I ran into the Ucan team at Umekes poke shack at Kona 2019 and they told me Tim O'donnell's fuelling strategy that year where I think he finished 3rd. Regardless I found his blog here and now run pretty much the same fuelling strategy blending higher GI carbs with Ucan in 3 bottles. Besides my own breakfast and I need a few extra gels on the bike before going to run course nutrition as I feel but my energy doesn't ebb and flow as much on the bike staying a constant satisfied level and no GI distress.

World-Champion Tim O’Donnell’s Triathlon Nutrition Plan - UCAN

Also don't be afraid to go to coke early on the run if you feel like it. It breaks up the monotony...

For reference I'm about 185 pounds racing weight, sub 5hr biker and around 9.5hr IM (faster if I'm in top form...).

My 2c to give you something to think about...
Quote Reply