Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Triathlon: Lake Tahoe Olympic [turbo_tabby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I might be able to shed some light here, as I did IM Lake Tahoe in 2013, and I live at Sea Level oops my bad 8ft elevation.

1) Lake Tahoe is Cold even in the warmest of months, so unless you run warm or swim really fast go Wet Suit. Plus it is faster. As others have said, learn how to swim in open water and Cold Water. Mountain area temps can be VERY Cold in the morning, especially in the shade. I have started several summer rides in Lake Tahoe in July / August in the high 30s / low 40s only to be 70 to 80 degrees an hour later.
2) Its your first Triathlon, don't get new bike equipment. Ride what you got, and go have fun. BTW 2500ft of gain in 25 miles is going to hurt, and most of your time will be spent climbing at 5mph. Carbon will not help that. By mile 4 of the run you will decide if you want anything to do with Triathlon ever again...
3) Swimming at Altitude is really FUCKING Hard. Go too easy breathing / swimming pattern is off you are Hyperventilating. Swim too Fast you are Hyperventilating, Get some water up your nose, you are Hyperventilating. Well I think you get the point. The more sensitive to altitude you are the worse it gets. Acclimation can be several days to a week or so. So if this is your plan either get there a week early (and swim a lot while you are there) or show up last minute. Make sure you warm up before the start (get a 10 min jog in. Get in the water and swim for 10 min.). You do not want your first hard breath :20 into the swim. This goes for any race, but especially at altitude.
4) I cannot give details on your specific course or race, but the bike looks hilly AF. If it is a windy day that Lake will get very choppy.

So go have fun. Do not make any goals or targets past having fun. Unless you are a total Badass with backgrounds in either swimming or running, first triathlons are exactly what most first time experiences are. Difficult and you are not very proficient.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Last edited by: gymrat: Mar 28, 24 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon: Lake Tahoe Olympic [turbo_tabby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your first race won't be Tahoe. Is that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon: Lake Tahoe Olympic [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not anymore, still doing Tahoe but doing a lower altitude race before it. So I am (kind of) taking your initial advice lol.
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon: Lake Tahoe Olympic [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I'll practice swimming in some cold mountain lakes in WA and norcal to get a feel for the temperature and altitude. And as I don't consider myself a badass, I'll be prepared for a struggle
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon: Lake Tahoe Olympic [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice here. I did fine on the Olympic races I've done at Tahoe, but when I did the Donner Lake (slightly lower elevation) 70.3 two summers ago the swim was BRUTAL. It seemed like no matter how slow I went I couldn't breath. It was the first time I actually started to get a little panicky swimming... Ultimately got through it, but is was rough.

gymrat wrote:
I think I might be able to shed some light here, as I did IM Lake Tahoe in 2013, and I live at Sea Level oops my bad 8ft elevation.

1) Lake Tahoe is Cold even in the warmest of months, so unless you run warm or swim really fast go Wet Suit. Plus it is faster. As others have said, learn how to swim in open water and Cold Water. Mountain area temps can be VERY Cold in the morning, especially in the shade. I have started several summer rides in Lake Tahoe in July / August in the high 30s / low 40s only to be 70 to 80 degrees an hour later.
2) Its your first Triathlon, don't get new bike equipment. Ride what you got, and go have fun. BTW 2500ft of gain in 25 miles is going to hurt, and most of your time will be spent climbing at 5mph. Carbon will not help that. By mile 4 of the run you will decide if you want anything to do with Triathlon ever again...
3) Swimming at Altitude is really FUCKING Hard. Go too easy breathing / swimming pattern is off you are Hyperventilating. Swim too Fast you are Hyperventilating, Get some water up your nose, you are Hyperventilating. Well I think you get the point. The more sensitive to altitude you are the worse it gets. Acclimation can be several days to a week or so. So if this is your plan either get there a week early (and swim a lot while you are there) or show up last minute. Make sure you warm up before the start (get a 10 min jog in. Get in the water and swim for 10 min.). You do not want your first hard breath :20 into the swim. This goes for any race, but especially at altitude.
4) I cannot give details on your specific course or race, but the bike looks hilly AF. If it is a windy day that Lake will get very choppy.

So go have fun. Do not make any goals or targets past having fun. Unless you are a total Badass with backgrounds in either swimming or running, first triathlons are exactly what most first time experiences are. Difficult and you are not very proficient.
Quote Reply

Prev Next