Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo?
Quote | Reply
I need need new cleats. I use the smooth lollipop speedplay pedals and have them on my three bikes.

Am I correct in looking at the new Wahoo cleats and that they will NOT work with my pedals? Or am I missing something.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: didn't read the "x2" part.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 25, 24 5:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked into this in a couple years after switching, but I think the answer is they will not work.

some good advice from fredly when I inquired about this a few years ago (post #3)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed&

FWIW, my wife did switch to the Z series and I moved to shimano now almost 3 years ago with no problems other than the pain in our pocket book.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [p4ckfill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused....so if I get an old Zero pedal the new cleat will work?
I'm ok buying one set of pedals as they come with the cleats....but don't want to hassle with switching my pedals from my indoor bike to outdoor all the time. If I can get a used zero pedal to work with the new cleat I could prob do that.

what a pain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I need need new cleats. I use the smooth lollipop speedplay pedals and have them on my three bikes.

Am I correct in looking at the new Wahoo cleats and that they will NOT work with my pedals? Or am I missing something.

Thanks

I have the speed play aero cleats and the zeros

Two different cleats

Bought the wahoo power peddles they all play nicely together
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I'm confused....so if I get an old Zero pedal the new cleat will work?
I'm ok buying one set of pedals as they come with the cleats....but don't want to hassle with switching my pedals from my indoor bike to outdoor all the time. If I can get a used zero pedal to work with the new cleat I could prob do that.

what a pain

The X series are different from the Zero Series and the cleats are not cross compatible.

The X series cleats are no longer available, except on eBay and the like, and the Zero cleats don't work with your X2 pedals.

The Zero pedals work with Wahoo cleats.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. You can usually find some on eBay. It's annoying they stopped making them when Wahoo tookover, but I stocked up at the time just in case.

If you want to keep all the bikes compatible with the same pair of shoes, your other option is to just bite the bullet and swap over completely.
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Mar 25, 24 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought the new pedals today and will search for a used pair of zeroes for the indoor stages bike.

Thanks all for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
Bought the new pedals today and will search for a used pair of zeroes for the indoor stages bike.

wish I'd seen your post earlier, I have two sets of X-series cleats brand new, still in the packages. I could'a hooked you up.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
klorene wrote:

wish I'd seen your post earlier, I have two sets of X-series cleats brand new, still in the packages. I could'a hooked you up.

You can easily find takers for those on ST Classifieds or eBay. Lots of X-series users who still have pedals they don't want to abandon.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

They're up to $160-ish a set on ebay for NOS now.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are companies now making knockoff cleats. This was a pretty major customer abandoning by Wahoo.
Last edited by: endosch2: Mar 25, 24 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay x2 -- am I screwed with Wahoo? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There are companies now making knockoff cleats.

Every one of the knockoffs I have seen is a piece of junk. I wouldn't ride any of them.

Quote:

This was a pretty major customer abandoning by Wahoo.

The X series design is over 30 years old. There was no way that new ownership - regardless of who it was - would ever be able to justify continued support for a product that has been dead ever since the Zero was introduced over a decade ago. This is like complaining about Sony's inexcusable failure to provide new Betamax cassettes... the timeline is even on par; Sony discontinued new cassette production 12 years after they stopped producing new recorders.
The biggest mistake Speedplay ever made was probably continuing production of the X series long after any reasonable business case for doing so existed. This just encouraged people to believe in the fantasy that this support would be perpetual, regardless of the viability of the product on the market. My understanding is that when Wahoo took over the company they were astonished at just how upside down the P&L was on product lines like this, and I don't think anyone who was actually familiar with their range of offerings could objectively be surprised at that assessment.

It sucks for folks who were wedded to products like the X pedals, or the Frogs, but when you see posts from people who are *just now* finding themselves looking for new cleats, when they haven't been manufactured since prior to the acquisition of the company in 2019, the timeline on this says a lot about the nature of the problem. It's hard to make a business out of selling cleats that don't wear out very quickly.

FWIW, there *is* a company making high-quality replacement springs for the X-series cleats, and that is all most folks actually need to keep their system running...

https://nextcleat.com/

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I’ve chalked this up with the first step of my total bike overhaul over the next few years. Both of my bikes are rim brake, so eventually everything is going to have to be replaced.

I had a gift card from the hs swim team I coach along with the rei member discount so I got my new pedals and cleats. For now I’ll find a pair of zeroes to make life easier.

With the bike switches in the next few years I’ll have to look at pedal based power meters as I now have stages crank based ones.

Ho hum…good thing this teaching gig gives me all the discretionary income I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, except for retro-geeks, I wouldn't spend a premium for new old stock X pedals. The new Wahoo design is quite good, even over the old Speedplay Zero design. I spent a fair amount of time dismantling old Speedplay Zero pedals to replace bearings or spindles despite meticulously greasing them. My Wahoos, so far, are living up to their maintenance-free billing. The early reviews found issues with play and some failures, but maybe they've sorted that out. They're not going to outlast the cockroaches through a nuclear apocalypse like Shimano MTB pedals - the cleat interface will wear eventually - but looking good nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
FWIW, there *is* a company making high-quality replacement springs for the X-series cleats, and that is all most folks actually need to keep their system running...

https://nextcleat.com/

Site doesn't seem to be operational. I'm still riding a pair of X1s that came with a used bike. That was almost 30k miles ago, and I still have a spare set of cleats. I'd buy the springs if they were available.
Quote Reply