Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rebuilding Cervelo P1 as 11 speed road bike
Quote | Reply
So I thought everything was going to be pretty straight forward, but now I'm a little puzzled by the front derailleur. I didn't look too closely at the original setup on the bike, but the cable routing on this has me puzzled. The housing is terminated very forward compared to the front derailleur... so the cable essentially has to cross the frame facing side of the derailleur before turning up to the bolt. I took a few pictures of my current setup with the 11 speed (FD-5800) attached. I'm also attaching a video that shows the original setup with the 10 speed Ultegra SL derailleur... which has a slightly smaller arm. In my video I didn't really zoom in on the rear side, but the cable still must have crossed/touched the derailleur body (https://youtube.com/...?si=u_Oz58aKWRKJ0ZdF). I wasn't filming with the intent to show the cable touching the derailleur body, but just the general cable path so I knew how to recreate. Wished I noticed the oddity prior.

Is there any way to avoid this contact with the derailleur body. I could cut some housing and slip over the cable for protection of the cable... but I don't think my brain is too satisfied that this is my best solution.

Anyone encounter this. Is there a different front derailleur I should be using? Or some adapter/way to route this cable better.

Many thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding Cervelo P1 as 11 speed road bike [mark308] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always had my cable entering on the other side of that fixing bolt, so coming over the top, essentially.

Would that help at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding Cervelo P1 as 11 speed road bike [mark308] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just use the old FD?
Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding Cervelo P1 as 11 speed road bike [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was debating trying to just use the original. I didn’t originally do it because I had installed the chain and didn’t have the master link tool in hand to remove :) But I think it must have at least touched it a bit, but I guess it must not have been enough to ever be an issue. I went up to the LBS for their thoughts yesterday. They sold me on just buying a newer FD that has the cable entry from the side/bottom. And as it was only $40 from them, I just bit the bullet and took their advice.
Quote Reply