Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade
Quote | Reply
In the world of fully-integrated & proprietary cockpits on lots of (basically all) high-end TT frames, I was wondering if there’s still a good go-to choice for those of us looking for a non-proprietary option?

I ride an Argon 18 E-117 which fits really nicely & hasn’t been spared any $$$ in terms of spec or upgrades. However, the missing piece is still the cockpit as I’ve been stuck with an alloy base bar for a long while, fitted with fairly basic clip-on style extensions.

Is there a good option for a well-regarded (& fast) basebar which would be compatible with some of the newer shaped & profiled extensions? Obviously if money were no barrier I’d love to go for something like the Wattshop Anemoi Basebar & extensions but that’d run me a decent chunk of change. I know that with all the newer-style cockpit setups that there’s big savings to be found, so feel like I’m leaving something on the table with my current setup. So would love to hear what others are running & how you’ve found it to be?
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig Alpha One comes to mind. They sell their own extensions too, but they are standard size and you could use someone else's if you wanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision Metron TFA is maybe the most cost-effective high-end cockbit? Or TriRig Alpha One. Neither "cheap" by any stretch, except when compared to Wattshop Anemoi.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also add Zipp Vuka basebar + vuka shift extensions if you want full wireless.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ift_AXS_90_7626.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a small amount of metalworking any basebar is compatible with any aero bar.

By a 1/4" or thicker plate of 6061 aluminum, cut to a roughly 2x2inch plate. Drill holes where you want the base bar and aero bar to attach. You can nut and bolt them on or take an extra step and tap threads into them for a nicer finished product.

Aluminum, angle grinder, drill, tap set, all in <$100. Them the real fun starts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could look to pick up something a Profile Design Aeria basebar, or something similar that has adjustable angle and stack risers. Then look at the new Wattshop Minimoi 2 with the profiled 3d spacers that integrate nicely with the arm rests but still keep to a 22.2 pole clamp. Drag2zero do something similar with their .44 extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed the tri rig alpha one and large arm pads on my Cervelo P3. Before I did I set up a call with Ben at Tri Rid to discuss my plan and get his advice on options, which was very helpful. The cockpit is very adjustable and very comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I did. I got the Vision TFA base bar and used the stock Vision spacers to mount AeroCoach Ascalon extensions. 100% integrated and very comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
In the world of fully-integrated & proprietary cockpits on lots of (basically all) high-end TT frames, I was wondering if there’s still a good go-to choice for those of us looking for a non-proprietary option?

I ride an Argon 18 E-117 which fits really nicely & hasn’t been spared any $$$ in terms of spec or upgrades. However, the missing piece is still the cockpit as I’ve been stuck with an alloy base bar for a long while, fitted with fairly basic clip-on style extensions.

Is there a good option for a well-regarded (& fast) basebar which would be compatible with some of the newer shaped & profiled extensions? Obviously if money were no barrier I’d love to go for something like the Wattshop Anemoi Basebar & extensions but that’d run me a decent chunk of change. I know that with all the newer-style cockpit setups that there’s big savings to be found, so feel like I’m leaving something on the table with my current setup. So would love to hear what others are running & how you’ve found it to be?

I have a 117 I use a lot for testing. Just adding some PD ASC43 and some nice elbows rests, would go a long way. That is what I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I will for sure take a look at the Vision TFA as an option. I’m not so interested by TriRig after a negative experience with one of their stems a few years back. I’m currently running the Zipp Vuka Shift extensions but seeing how the new wireless blips don’t require a blipbox I can ditch those and go with something a little more shaped around my forearms.

Can I ask please marcag, given you are using the same frame as I am which basebar do you have fitted? Eyeball wind tunnel suggests that the Pro Missile alloy base bar isn’t the most aero setup out there!

I appreciate this is an open ended question, but if I prioritised either a new base bar or new extensions, is there a preferred choice for performance gain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How urgent will your changes be?

We have our extensions coming out in May finally in stock for CSR+ and we will have other models, hardware all ready by Summer as well as developing a new basebar to work with the Culprit ecosytem.

Target retail will be 1000-1200 range pending on extension models for aerobar kit with risers and cups/extensions.b ut wont be ready til End of summer optimistically.

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RON wheels nowadays also has an "integrated" aerobar, see https://ronwheels.com/...2-aerobar-components. It's about 600€.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not immediately urgent, but keen to have something to train on before some racing coming up in the summer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tririg Alpha One is extremely adjustable and easy to use. It will help you achieve whatever position will make you fastest/most comfortable.

Sent you a DM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic of your current setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I will for sure take a look at the Vision TFA as an option. I’m not so interested by TriRig after a negative experience with one of their stems a few years back. I’m currently running the Zipp Vuka Shift extensions but seeing how the new wireless blips don’t require a blipbox I can ditch those and go with something a little more shaped around my forearms.

Can I ask please marcag, given you are using the same frame as I am which basebar do you have fitted? Eyeball wind tunnel suggests that the Pro Missile alloy base bar isn’t the most aero setup out there!

I appreciate this is an open ended question, but if I prioritised either a new base bar or new extensions, is there a preferred choice for performance gain?

Take a look at the Wattshop Minimoi mk2 about to be released on their website. All the looks of the Anemoi with much less cost. That design allows you to use theirs or your own parts.
It had to be said though that the perceived aerodynamic performance of some of the brands out there could actually make someone’s performance worse so be very careful whose you go with.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
TriRig Alpha One comes to mind. They sell their own extensions too, but they are standard size and you could use someone else's if you wanted.
I have one of these I'll sell OP for <<50% under MSRP. DM me so we don't clutter this thread if you're interested. It's never been mounted, and just sat in storage in a padded wheel bag.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Non-proprietary cockpit upgrade [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The Minimoi is very much on my radar. I just need to get my head around EU import taxes and whether to get anything shipped to a UK-based relative.

Although that doesn't necessarily confirm if I should be thinking about a new basebar to go with the extensions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
Thanks. The Minimoi is very much on my radar. I just need to get my head around EU import taxes and whether to get anything shipped to a UK-based relative.

Although that doesn't necessarily confirm if I should be thinking about a new basebar to go with the extensions

One other thing I'd advise that if you're a rider who has their arms tilted up, try and avoid the designs that see huge flat surface areas then presented to the wind by the underside of the armrests. There are a few cheaper designs that are going for the full arm coverage angle (which is great) but then see the arm rest underside huge, flat and can, in some cases, actually provide increased drag (which is bad).

Try and stick to the brands that actually have some aerodynamic credentials, not those that are merely affordable.
Quote Reply