Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Reserve Wheels [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight and thoughts. I’d definitely be interested SwissSide, but that disc is sold out currently.

You’re a better man than me for riding mixed wheels based on data. I care about fast, but I don’t think I could take it to that level.

Quote | Reply
I reached out and they got right back to me. It is not.

Quote | Reply
Sounds like we are in very similar situations. It’s tough to try to find the right ones with so many factors to consider.

Quote | Reply
Yeah it’s definitely quite the conundrum right now. I don’t want to fork over $3-5k only to realize I made a mistake and should have bought something else. Especially when we seem to be in this potential transition with hooked to hookless. But I’m currently leaning towards that hooked isn’t going anywhere.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Reserve Wheels [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not go with roval? They have great numbers and are likely in your budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Reserve Wheels [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can say from personal experience they are solid wheels

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Reserve Wheels [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong, but it looks like they discontinued production of their disc.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Personally I don’t have any data. However, Ineos seems to be very thoughtful in their equipment selection, so I take that as a sign they are quite good.

Not a big fan of Hed or Flo. Looking for a balance of aero, good hubs, weight and width.

Ineos talks a good game when it comes to marginal gains, but then some of their kit choices aren’t that optimal. For example, their old Kask Bambino’s were a helmet that worked well on very few riders and Dogma has never really been exceptional in terms of weight or aerodynamics.

Whether the Princeton wheels, and their whale bump design, are “fast” is a complete unknown because the company provides no comparative data. There is some data out there that pretty convincingly demonstrates that the Zipp wheels of similar design are not very fast. In fact I think it is Jim Manton at ERO who found that running the front wheel backwards is faster. JP Ballard at SwissSide also questions the merits of the design philosophy and discusses why in one of the Performance Process podcasts.

Whether the Reserve wheels are particularly fast is an unknown. While Visma ran the front wheel in the Tour TT last year, it sure looks like they were running a deeper AeroCoach front wheel a couple weeks back. The Reserve wheels have the really wide internal width, so if I had to guess part of their design goal is cornering grip. Vingegaard’s TT win at the Tour was partly down to how much faster he was railing those corners. For modern Grand Tour TTs, the courses just seem to be getting more and more technical, so weight, handling and grip are becoming more important. As an example Rob Gitelis of Factor bikes was saying that their riders are already asking for a bike that is more like the Shiv TT, even though the Hanzo is only 2 years old. On the other hand I don’t think Tri is ever going to have courses where aero isn’t king.

So as others have said, the Princeton and Reserve wheels may not be your best option.
Quote Reply
Re: Reserve Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Reserve Wheels [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Sbradley11 wrote:
Such as?

Premier tactical has wheels that are just a touch faster than HED's across a yaw sweep. Hed which I saw you weren't a fan of.

Hunt, ORR, Swissside,are some other brands come to mind. I've seen data, not lately though, maybe 4 yr ago, where ORR beat Zipp in the tunnel across a yaw sweep.

I just find the answers to these questions fascinating. I've talked to people who match decals to their frame color and that's why they bought certain wheels, some are strictly on weight or this or that where as I always bought on performance. Even rode on mismatched wheels for a few years. (can't tell you how many people gave me grief for that but A LOT)

Thanks for answering

Do you have any data on Boyd wheels? I just received a really good deal on a set of Boyd 60/80 that I couldn't pass up. They ride amazing, but no idea how they compare to other companies wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next