Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clip-in question
Quote | Reply
I'm a relatively novice cyclist, but I've cycled 2000+ miles outside at this point, and I'm still having trouble clipping into my pedals. This is especially a problem if I have to clip in on a steep hill, but also seems to happen at stressful time - when I need to clip in quickly to cross a busy intersection, for example. Other times, I've noticed that even a little mud can make it difficult to clip in. I use Shimano PD-RS500 pedals and the standard cleats that came with them. I went on a group ride a couple weeks ago and ended up riding the last few miles without my right foot clipped in because I think I got some mud in the cleat or the pedal and couldn't get it to clip. (I live in Seattle, and it's muddy here in winter.) I also find myself avoiding rides with steep hills because I'm afraid I'll have to stop and won't be able to get clipped in if I have to restart on the steep. I would say I'm generally an uncoordinated person, but this still seems ridiculous.

I'm considering:

1.) Switching to MTB SPD pedals, though I'm not sure how much difference that would make. I do think it would be helpful on hills since I wouldn't have to worry about the pedal being on the correct side.

2.) Switching to Speedplay pedals - again, two-sided.

3.) Changing cleats more often? Diligently cleaning pedals and cleats before every ride?

4.) Just practicing hill starts

I enjoy riding recreationally and race the occasional triathlon. I ride a road bike exclusively.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On most systems there is a pre-load adjustment screw. Loosen it up a lot. It will be very easy to get out- then as you get more comfortable slowly tighten it up until it’s just how you like it.

Your clete might accidentally come out a few times but that’s better than the panic stuff.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplays are easy to clip in to, but don't handle mud well (speaking as a 30yr+ user).

Either practice the "kick" entry a bit more, or go to mtn spd.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
On most systems there is a pre-load adjustment screw. Loosen it up a lot. It will be very easy to get out- then as you get more comfortable slowly tighten it up until it’s just how you like it.

Your clete might accidentally come out a few times but that’s better than the panic stuff.

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I already have it on the lowest / loosest setting. I don't have any trouble getting OUT of the cleat (though I haven't had any undesired releases either). It's getting in that's the problem, when I need to do so quickly, like on a hill or at an intersection when I'm trying to cross quickly due to traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Speedplays are easy to clip in to, but don't handle mud well (speaking as a 30yr+ user).

My baseline plan was to go to mtn spd. Just thought I would get some feedback from others. The mud problem is obviously mainly a winter issue when I ride outside less frequently anyway, but it's extremely annoying when it happens. On a group ride, I can't easily stop and clean my shoes (or maybe I need to figure out how to do so more quickly.)
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

I should add, what do you mean by the "kick" entry? For the second foot, I usually put my foot on top of the pedal at the top of the stroke and push down as I finish the pedal stroke. (For the first, clipping in is less of a problem since I can do it at my leisure.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - sorry most people have the opposite issue.

I have also had a clip-in issue before. I have just tried to pedal on top of the pedal a few turns to get some momentum and try again. It can be frustrating but some systems are easier than others. I’m on speed plays which require getting used to where the lollipop is in relation to the shoe. It gets easier over time.

The easiest are the type like Shimano where you insert the front and just clip down.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, falling over when still clipped in is a rite of passage you need to go through as a cyclist. Accept it, embrace it, try not to do it at the end of a 100mile mtb ride when you ride into a petrol station to use their hose at 3pm on new years eve next to the biggest Ikea in London.

I personally find it harder to clip into my MTB pedals than road, and this as someone who spent years commuting on mtb pedals so I wouldn't go there yet. My wife struggled with look pedals but then went for the easy entry SPD-SL (the forerunner of the RS500 you have) and found that way better. So honestly I would say you need to practice. Assuming you've not got a trainer/turbo then set the bike up against a wall so you can hold on, sit on the bike and just spend 20mins clipping in and out (whilst stationary). Ideally whilst watching TV or something so it becomes more instinctive.

You are no different to all the rest of us. we all went through this and even now on every Saturday club ride (roadies, not even triathletes) then there will be multiple examples of people missing a clip-in. All really experienced riders. My point being to relax, practice, but don't freak out about it or think you have to be perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a problem that I sometimes still have. One thing that I’ve done is practice on the flats while still rolling. I unclip, spin the crack once and then try to clip back in. Also, maybe moving your cleat will help. I found that when my cleat wasn’t where I thought it was, I couldn’t clip in. If you move the clear to a position where it’s “natural” feeling for you to clip in, maybe it will help.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohanapecosh wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

My baseline plan was to go to mtn spd. Just thought I would get some feedback from others. The mud problem is obviously mainly a winter issue when I ride outside less frequently anyway, but it's extremely annoying when it happens. On a group ride, I can't easily stop and clean my shoes (or maybe I need to figure out how to do so more quickly.)

Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like I just need to practice more. I figure I've clipped in hundreds of times at this point, and it seems ridiculous that I'm still having trouble. I probably just need to find a hill outside and practice starting and stopping on it since that's the scenario I find hardest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you could just switch to flats and go on with your life. I have flats on every bike I have. I tried both SPD and Look pedals for about four months. I had infinitely more problems clipping in and out than I've ever had with flat pedals. Not to mention the absolute worst case scenario when I have no other option but to walk.

I don't care what people think about my shoe and pedal choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohanapecosh wrote:
ohanapecosh wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like I just need to practice more. I figure I've clipped in hundreds of times at this point, and it seems ridiculous that I'm still having trouble. I probably just need to find a hill outside and practice starting and stopping on it since that's the scenario I find hardest.
in case it is not obvious, if you try mtb pedals you need to pair to mtb shoes. I have tried mtb pedals and road shoes and that is a bad combo.

As for hills we all have to do the same thing, you need momentum to clip in. I use Speedplays and I can do a few revolutions before I actually clip in, just put your cleat on the pedal until you are stable then worry about clipping in. practice makes it better.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shoes have you got? Some extra curvy shoes can really bend the cleat (although I have not come across it with spdsl cleats. Normally Time or Speedplay baseplates).

Time are the easiest of the 3 bolts to actually click in, the self centering of the pedal isn't quite as good though. I personally found speedplay quite difficult (I used the aero and fancy low stack adapters which likely affected something).

The easiest pedals I have used are Eggbeaters which is why they are popular in CX.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
Or you could just switch to flats and go on with your life. I have flats on every bike I have. I tried both SPD and Look pedals for about four months. I had infinitely more problems clipping in and out than I've ever had with flat pedals. Not to mention the absolute worst case scenario when I have no other option but to walk.

JOOC, by "flats" do you mean the old fashioned pedals that have no means of clipping in??? I'm thinking of the pedals which I think still come standard on beach cruiser bikes.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:

Yes, I've definitely considered this option. I do like the feeling of being clipped in, however. I've read that being clipped in perhaps doesn't actually bring as much benefit as was once thought, though. So this seems like a reasonable option.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-in question [Alex1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex1991 wrote:
What shoes have you got? Some extra curvy shoes can really bend the cleat (although I have not come across it with spdsl cleats. Normally Time or Speedplay baseplates).

Time are the easiest of the 3 bolts to actually click in, the self centering of the pedal isn't quite as good though. I personally found speedplay quite difficult (I used the aero and fancy low stack adapters which likely affected something).

The easiest pedals I have used are Eggbeaters which is why they are popular in CX.

I have some old Fizik shoes: https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think there's a problem with the shoes, though perhaps there could be a problem with my install or placement of the cleat on the shoe.

I will check out the Eggbeaters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohanapecosh wrote:
Alex1991 wrote:

I have some old Fizik shoes: https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think there's a problem with the shoes, though perhaps there could be a problem with my install or placement of the cleat on the shoe.

I will check out the Eggbeaters.

Egg beaters are two bolt so need an adapter such as https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/3-hole-cleat

It's an interesting way of doing it and I've set a gravel racer up like this so they could use a lighter road shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohanapecosh wrote:
VegasJen wrote:

Yes, I've definitely considered this option. I do like the feeling of being clipped in, however. I've read that being clipped in perhaps doesn't actually bring as much benefit as was once thought, though. So this seems like a reasonable option.
Yes, the evidence is that for mere mortals, there is virtually no quantifiable advantage to clipping in. So it then becomes an issue of personal preference. If you like being clipped in, then by all means, go with what works for you. As for me, I am happy with my Venzo studded flat pedals.
Quote Reply