Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset?
Quote | Reply
Quick question.

Can I run my 11 speed ultegra 4iiii PM crank arm with the 12 speed crank? Are they compatible with regard to fit? I know I don't need to worry about the chain etc. due to it being left side only.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should both be Hollowtech II, so yes
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset? [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
That's what I figured.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset? [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
Should both be Hollowtech II, so yes

You'd also think that as they are both 4 bolt 110BCD that the rings would be transferable too, but they aren't...... My point being that as mentioned, it should work, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

I put the 12sp rings on my quarq, but can't get the 11sp onto the 12sp Ultegra as I wanted to put that on the trainer to save moving the PM between bikes. And of course a full 12sp chainset cheaper than just 2 chainrings.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It works - I run a stages left side crank from a 6800 series on a 12 speed crankset
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed left side crank arm compatible with 12 speed crankset? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano did change their chainring interface a couple of times. Hollowtech II only integrates the right side crank with the axle. I'm quite sure that you could fit a 105 5600 left crank arm on to a Dura Ace 9200 right crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to understand is that the 12sp Shimano cranks have a larger Q factor than the 11sp variants. The 11sp cranks are 146mm and the 12sp are 148mm.

That will make a difference of 1mm on the left crank. I don't know how sensitive you are to your stance width but you will be offset somewhat if you don't adjust your cleat position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Quick question.

Can I run my 11 speed ultegra 4iiii PM crank arm with the 12 speed crank? Are they compatible with regard to fit? I know I don't need to worry about the chain etc. due to it being left side only.

Thanks!
I used to swap my left side crank arm with 4iiii all the time easy peazey. They are the same type on all hollowtech crank systems (I have a couple), just need the special tool for the end cap and away you go. One thing to always check though is the torque on the allan screws. You need to go back and forth a few times and I use a small torque wrench to get it right, because as you tighten one the other will become loose with the compression of the crank. So do this a couple of times to get the two compression bolts evenly torqued or you could end up with a loose crank arm and that could damage your crank shaft.
Quote Reply