Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Wheels- Too Narrow?
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a carbon wheelset for my 2016 Cervelo S2. I’m 150lbs so not super heavy. I’ll be riding these on generally flat terrain and in some group rides and the odd crit race.

I’ve had advice not to go too deep, especially in the front. But Ive also been told not to go too narrow.

I’m looking at a used Reynolds 66 clincher rim break which are narrower than others. Any concern here? Would such a deep narrow wheel guarantee I get tossed around with a bit of wind?

BQ
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels- Too Narrow? [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those wheels are 15mm internal and 21mm external, possibly optimised for accomodating 23mm tires, that were mainstream around 2010ish. More recently, wider wheels (17mm int. /23mm ext.) and wider tires (25mm) have proven to perform better. Honestly I don't find all that difference on the road, but those are the facts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go wider and shallower.
DTSwiss Arc1400 48 depth are the perfect all round wheel for older rim brake bikes if you can find a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels- Too Narrow? [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Any other cheaper recommendations? Ideally i'd like to go 50mm or slightly above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Narrow is aero.

If you can buy those Reynolds 66 wheels at a good price, they will work nicely with a Continental Grand Prix clincher tire (23mm) with latex tubes.
Quote Reply