Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlete Dies during race
Quote | Reply
Rick Betton age 71 died shortly after exiting the swim during a race in Wilmington, NC. I knew Rick and his family. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very sad. Not that it makes it any better as 71 is still too young to say goodbye, but I have to imagine a guy taking his last breathe doing a triathlon at 71 is probably a guy taking his last breathe doing something he loves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. Prayers for his family. I was at the race and it was very sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your friends loss.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
That's very sad. Not that it makes it any better as 71 is still too young to say goodbye, but I have to imagine a guy taking his last breathe doing a triathlon at 71 is probably a guy taking his last breathe doing something he loves.

Like every triathlete I'm sure he loved finally being done with the swim.

Has anyone thought of a memorial page on this sites where triathletes who die in sport can be honored? I realize the optics might not be great to be the top Google result for deaths in triathlon, but there's probably something to be said for a place like this site known to at a couple people worldwide at every triathlon to have a user submitted directory of memorials.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing this site previously

List of triathlon fatalities - Wikipedia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this at the Azalea Sprint? I didn't see them comment on it or on the local news. So sad to hear. Sorry for the loss of your friend :(

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Mar 11, 24 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
Was this at the Azalea Sprint? I didn't see them comment on it or on the local news. So sad to hear. Sorry for the loss of your friend :(

Yes, it was at Azalea. The announcer asked everyone to keep the family in their thoughts at the beginning of awards. He did not specifically say that the athlete died. I've been checking for updates for the last 24 hours. I guess now it is confirmed.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, that's just so sad. Appreciate the reply. All the best to his family

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Dies during race [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North Carolina Triathlon Series posted on its Facebook page an official acknowledgement of the death today.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply