Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ouch! of course now we need to see a picture of the evildoers.
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have, knock on wood, been fairly lucky in avoiding any serious overuse type injuries, but i am equally prone to the comically stupid variety, including but not limited to:

- running loops around my house during a 14 day COVID quarantine, all in the same direction. Pulled some weird little tendon on the top of my foot-

- falling off the side of a trail en route to a no-longer-covert bathroom stop. (Also early COVID, when they had the bright idea of shutting down all the public bathrooms)

- Riding straight into a traffic island. I’d never done that particular Ioop before so I was very much paying attention to where I was going, but for some reason I didn’t register that.

- Going to the bmx park post a big 10k PR. Hopped a relatively small bench, mid-air got the worst calf cramps of my entire life. Somehow landed on my feet before immediately falling to the ground in agony, much to the amusement of a rather large group of nine-year-olds.

- Dropped an indoor trainer on my foot- it was an old KK road machine, those things were solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luci and Diesel. They are same-litter siblings. Mostly sweet enormous lap dogs, but sometimes crazy AF when they roughhouse. I hope the pic attached.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Last edited by: weakandpuny: Mar 14, 24 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, i can't see the picture!
i love great danes.
we had a very tall weim once, and amateurs would ask me if he was a dane ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I edited my post and I think the pic attached now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those are some handsome dogs!

(sorry for the distraction, everyone!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pic of their handiwork.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have stupid training injuries. All of my stupid injuries are regular life related.

1. Stabbed myself in the wrist with a box cutter while doing landscaping work. Trip the ER, and 11 stitches.
2. Smashed the same wrist (a year later) onto the rim of a glass goblet, which shattered and cut my wrist open (again). Trip to the ER and 15 stitches. My wife also got a call from the insurance company to see if I was suicidal.
3. Was cutting a pipe fence with a cutoff wheel, when it grabbed, kicked back, and smacked me in the face, blade first. Needed facial reconstructive surgery.
4. Smashed my arm into a sharp edge of a steel pipe while building a roll-cage. Required 30 stitches.
5. Crushed my fingertip while removing a car tire from a wheel. Required removal of my fingernail, and 5 stitches.

....there's many more. You're supposed to get a Tetanus booster once ever 10 years. In 55 years I have NEVER gone 10 years between boosters, as I get one with each routine visit to the ER.
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. Can't hold a candle to you, dude. I've worked some rough jobs in the past but nothing quite like that. One job I smashed my right thumb and lost my thumbnail. A year later, after it finally grew out, I smashed it again and lost the same thumbnail yet again. After that, the nail pretty much said "eff you" and hasn't grown right since. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I swam onto an oyster bed once. Tide was going out and I didn't notice how shallow it was. Scrape along most of my chest and hip. Very, very uncomfortable.

On the same outing, half the people in the group picked up poison ivy, so I considered myself lucky.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turn burn above ankle from repeatedly sliding on turf while playing paintball. All scabbed up still. But for several days made putting on and taking off socks a real pain when going for a run or bike ride. I should not better than to do stupid things like slide. Hah.

In line with that, if anyone have kids who like you to pretend to be a dog with them and crawl around on hard wood floors? My knees still haven't recovered. Run for mile and miles, but crawl around on the floor for 5 minutes and I'm in hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tangentially related to training injuries... I was about 12 I was riding my aunts stationary bicycle. This was back in 1978-1980...a very different thing than a trainer is today. I was riding without shoes, just socks. I turned off all the resistance and was seeing how fast I could make it go. Well, just as my parents came in to get me.... The tube socks that I was wearing had kinda slipped down my foot so I had a floppy toe. The right sock got caught in the chain and pulled my big toe into the sprocket. The chainring pierced my big toe. My sock immediately turned red.

Dad is a doctor, and they literally walked in the front door as it happened. Needless to say, dad got it fixed up. The ring went all the way through my toe and toenail. It grows out split where the injury happened, to this day.

It didn't hit the bone, no lasting injury other than the funky toenail. I did get a tetanus shot, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
2. Smashed the same wrist (a year later) onto the rim of a glass goblet, which shattered and cut my wrist open (again). Trip to the ER and 15 stitches. My wife also got a call from the insurance company to see if I was suicidal.

Back in the late '90s when I was still a shop mechanic, I was cutting off some full length grips on a Scott AT-3 bar and slipped with the knife. Wound up slashing my right wrist, with a 1.5" cut running parallel to and just a few mm from the radial artery. Due to the resulting scar, I've had a few doctors over the years ask if I was ever suicidal...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife's answer? "nope. Just an idiot!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once I was bicycling to the start of a triathlon from my brothers place. I was a student at the time. I was carrying a bucket that I would rinse my feet off after run up sandy beach on swim leg. Got bucket tangled in my legs and wiped out on the way. Went to first aide tent before the race. I still did the race but had all sorts of road rash starting out.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in '16 I had been training long and hard for my one and only trip to the Kona WC via legacy. I had been struggling that whole year with running due to a nagging insertional achillies injury but I was able to eek out about 30 miles a week with the help of a lot of PT and exercises.

As part of legacy I had to sign up for one full distance race that year so I chose Wisconsin (a month before Kona). I decided to use it as my last big training day so the plan was to swim hard, bike medium, and jog/walk the run. It went well and getting home I was ready to start the taper for the BIG race.

Well, with all the "free" time I now had I decided to do some work around the house and my wife had been nagging me to fix our toilet. It was beyond fixing so I went out and bought a new one. I had never changed out a toilet before but WTF, how hard could it be. Well, I got the old one off, put the new ring on, and was trying to place the new toilet over the ring and BAM, my back shot craps!

Two weeks out from the big race and I literally saw my performance at Kona going down the sh#tter. My chiro got me vertical in time to make the flight there but then there's a whole other story about what happened during the race :)

Even through it all I managed to achieve being an official KONA WC finisher!

Moral of the story: Don't mess with the sh#tter before a big race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
My wife's answer? "nope. Just an idiot!"
You have some good ones there tom. i'll stick up for both of us and suggest that you likely get quite a bit done in the way of projects etc. sounds like you're 'going for it'!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any stupid training injuries? [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Once I was bicycling to the start of a triathlon from my brothers place. I was a student at the time. I was carrying a bucket that I would rinse my feet off after run up sandy beach on swim leg. Got bucket tangled in my legs and wiped out on the way. Went to first aide tent before the race. I still did the race but had all sorts of road rash starting out.
I'm sorry. Don't mean to laugh, but that's a funny fucking story! <lol>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was leading off a club swim lane and completely dislocated and broke my finger. I have absolutely no idea to this day how I did it but my finger was pointing the wrong way and the tip of the finger was actually sitting on the back of my hand. Didn’t hit anyone, miles away from the lane rope, no paddles just nothing to explain.

There was a physio in the lane and he just yanked it back into position. Luckily I had the sense to remove my wedding ring before the finger swelled up. Didn’t even hurt that much just heard a crunch as it happened.
Quote Reply

Prev Next