Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a very well-considered setup.

Do I see intentionally housingless cable to front brake?

And no cable tip / end cap?

May I ask how you keep it from 'fraying'?

Is there a specific reason you have not cut the cable it all the way down to the brake cable clamp?

Is the low gear count for reasons of drag? (smaller physical size of cassette)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look into a TriRig front brake. That should work well on your setup. I have been using two different prior iterations for a number of years. One often overlooked advantage is the super easy adjustment of the brake track width. When I swapped in my disc wheel (older, narrower Zipp clincher from the '00s compared to the Hed Jet+ 9) it took about 15 seconds to adjust with a 2mm allen wrench.

https://tririg.com/...omega-one-aero-brake
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another view of the bike fully configured for racing -

In the picture with me on the bike it has a 52T chainring, 12-25 cassette, 165mm cranks. This picture is 56T chainring, 12-23 cassette, 170mm cranks. I am not Superman - these setups are chosen merely to provide a straight chainline for different courses, and 1X 10 speed mechanical is very cost effective.

The "pigtail" on the (yes, deliberately bare) front brake cable, is for grabbing with pliers when adjusting for different rim widths. @Stelvio, I would much prefer a TriRig front brake, but I've been blessed with four children and five grandchildren, so it was a frugal build!
Last edited by: Hanginon: Mar 9, 24 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh. I only have two children and no grandchildren; hence the TriRig brake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 66 and working on making minor concessions to my position to be as comfortable as possible without too many aero sacrifices. At 77 do you feel that you are making any sacrifices with your position, or are you just aiming for the fastest position you can put together?
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
I'm 66 and working on making minor concessions to my position to be as comfortable as possible without too many aero sacrifices. At 77 do you feel that you are making any sacrifices with your position, or are you just aiming for the fastest position you can put together?
Fastest position possible, but remember, I'm doing at most 10 mile TT's = 20 minutes saddle time. Surprisingly, it has ended up being fairly comfortable, and I can actually stay in that position a lot longer. I got some good advice a long time ago that your upper body should be fully relaxed, i.e., no death grip on the bars - fingers should feel like you could play a piano.
Quote Reply

Prev Next