Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with drivetrain upgrade question
Quote | Reply
forgive me my fairly newbieish question. I have an aluminum road bike (it's a DeVinci autobahn with 105 components) that I have 'accessorized' over the past few years (new tires, seat, shorty aerobars) and which fits me fine and works well.

The main beef I have with it (besides the wheels which could definitely be nicer) is the drivetrain: I am running a 52-39 in front and a 12-23 in the back, it's an 8-speed Shimano 105 and while it's working it's definitely not as smooth or precise as some other components I've had the luck to see/try (ok, it was a 10-speed DA, so I'm spoiled ;).

The biggest problem though is the gearing selection: I prefer to spin rather than to mash and due to my location I often have to contend with some significant sustained uphills where a 39-23 is really not short enough to be able to hold my usual 90-100rpm cadence. Given that it's an 8-speed it seems it's really hard to find cogsets with a good low end (say, a 27-28) without uncomfortable 'jumps' between the other gears (not to mention that being 8-speed nowadays the only cassettes I can find seem to be mtb ones for some reason).

I have been toying for a while with the idea of changing the whole drivetrain to ultegra with a triple front (say, 53-42-30) and a 9-speed 'close' back (say, 11-21) in order to have an ample gear selection but when I told this to friends etc. people keep telling me that it's not worth to spend that kind of $$$ given the fact that my frame not that special and blah blah blah.

I've been looking around quite a bit but I've never been able to find out anything about my frame and/or if it is 'low end' or not (how can you tell by looking at it?).

I have also been thinking about just keeping my bike as-is and buying a Cervelo Dual or something but it seems kind of an overkill to go to a completely new ride just because I'm unhappy with the drivetrain also considering that I'd rather wait another season to buy a tri bike and maybe spring for something nicer (say, p2k-p3k).

I was wondering if people here could chime in about what you think would be the best route for me to follow and what would be a reasonable price for a complete drivetrain (I'd expect to spend $500-$600 tops but maybe I'm being too conservative, OTOH I wouldn't want to be fleeced by my lbs).
Quote Reply
Re: Help with drivetrain upgrade question [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's bang for the buck you're after, you could get all the gear you could ever need by going with a compact double crank. You can do this relatively inexpensively with the Ritchey (not sure if it's out yet, though from what I understand it's imminent) or the Stronglight. This would be much less expensive than converting to a triple or from 8 to 9 speed. Do a search on "compact double" on this forum if you didn't see the raging discussion a few months ago, and you'll get all the info you need.

As far as the frame goes- if it fits and it's comfortable, who cares if someone else is calling it "low end". If you've got the extra $$ the Dual is a sweet bike, but it sounds like you're pretty happy with your current ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me an email ...

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Help with drivetrain upgrade question [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have thought about compact cranks (50/34) but I thought the only option for that right now was the FSA (which cost a bundle) since the Ritchey aren't out yet AFAIK, I've never heard about the Stronglight, will have a look at them too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why you can't upgrade. If you want all new stuff you're looking at $480 for a new Ultegra drivetrain(not including labor, cables or housing, price quoted from Colorado Cyclist Spring 2004 catalog). If you go to ebay you can find slightly used stuff for a lot less, but YMMV.

If you are seriously planning to buy a new bike next year, I would personally save the $500 and apply it to the purchase of the new bike.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you really want to consider a compact crankset on your bike, as I think that they are all 9 / 10 speed compatible. The wider 8speed chain may not work properly with the narrower rings / spacing and the large jump between chainrings on the compact crank. Then again, it may, I haven't tested this, but it is something to look out for.

The way to look at it, IMO, is to forget about whether your current frame is high or low end. That is irrelevant, you either like it or you don't. I'll assume that you like your frame, so the next thing is to figure out if you can upgrade significantly cheaper than buying a new bike. Excel sports has an Ultegra STI upgrade kit for $269, you may also need a new front derailleur $29.95 and a 9 speed small chainring $29.95 The 39T small ring is designed to work with a 53T large ring, so you might need that replaced as well. $29.88. So you have a whole new drivetrain for $360 plus shipping and handling. Can you buy a new bike for that? If you can do your own mechanical work, even better.

The good thing is that your old wheels will work with 9 speed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help with drivetrain upgrade question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the priceinfo, there is only one hitch: while going ultegra would be nice for the shifting and 9 speeds what I'd really want is to have a better gear selection so I'd have to get a new crankset anyways: either a triple ultegra or a double compact... regardless, it's still cheaper than getting a new bike, even if obviously the benefits of having a separate tri bike are hard to underestimate.

It's a really hard decision to make because, say, this $500ish expense is pretty much the difference between a Cervelo Dual and a P2K, and I have much more of a soft spot for the p2k than the dual...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best bang for the buck is to get an 11-28 8-speed MTB cassette. If you don't like the 11t small cog, simply swap the 11,12 for the 12,13 from your 12-23 cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of getting the FSA Carbon Elite Compact, you can get the FSA Energy Compact for about 1/2 the cost. Same design except in Al. I believe bullteksports.com carries it.

You could also find a mechanic who can rebuild your freehub so it can take a 9s cassette. Or talk to the folks at cycle dynamics about getting a 9s cassette that'll fit on your existing hub. Then all you need is a new r.der, r.shifter, cables, chain, and maybe a f.der.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with drivetrain upgrade question [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the feedback but something in your post confuses me: I thought I could put a 9sp cassette on my 8sp hub no problem and that the 'rebuild your hub' procedure was for folks with 7sp going to 8sp or 9sp, maybe I was wrong though (I am still definitely a newbie to bike stuff)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to bear in mind pricewise, is that this is a high percentage US board - so if you're talking about $500CAD, there will be a definite gap.

There is nothing about your frame to indicate that it isn't worth upgrading - either to a triple or compact. DeVinci makes a nice product. Personally I'd go compact over triple, but that's just an aesthetic/snob thing as opposed to having anything to do with functionality. Just be aware that a triple doesn't give you 3x n gears (you don't want to be crossing over on the extreme ends of either).

If you've got the scratch for a new ride and the $500 is the kicker between a bike you can afford and the one your soul lusts after, save your bucks and spring for the P2k. You can always get by with an 8spd 12-28, or (sacre bleu!) get yourself an XT rear derailleur and run 12-32/13-37.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, 9speed shimano cassettes will drop straight onto an 8 speed hub, they have the same spline pattern.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply