Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bringing my TT on a plane - reserve in advance or day of check in?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I'm flying across Canada for my first ironman event this year. I'm flying with Air Canada. I'm bringing my TT bike.

My question for those who have done it recently: do you have to reserve a spot for your bike as an oversized luggage in advance or can you do it at the time of check in?

Any experience or advice with this? Tips?
I'm using the scicon aerocomfort 3.0 triathlon TSA bike bag.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing my TT on a plane - reserve in advance or day of check in? [Jpro19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very recent, but I flew Air Canada across the Atlantic in late 2021. I recorded my bike via the hotline (both ways). See instructions: https://www.aircanada.com/...special-items.html#/

Knowing from a good source from within the industry (Lufthansa Group), airlines often have 2-4 slots available and able to confirm these in advance. Everything above this can only be confirmed 1-2 days in advance, when the airline knows they wouldn't use other reserved priority space (packages, letters etc.). In most extreme cases, an airline could try to provide a different machine if the demand was high.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing my TT on a plane - reserve in advance or day of check in? [Jpro19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any time I've flown my bike I've just shown up at the counter with it. That includes to/from CAN

You can check your airline's specific policy online

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 13, 24 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're flying to an event where lots of other people will also be bringing their bike, then call ahead. Most flights have only a few dedicated bike slots, and if you know that there are others there also bringing bikes, you want to make sure you get your bike in. The return trip is usually busier since everyone is trying to get out at the same time from the same place.

In my experience, Air Canada has been quite good about this. They managed to get me a spot on Scanadavian Airlines the day after Lahti Worlds, and it was clear that not everyone was getting on the plane with their bike.

Just call them the week before and let them know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown quite a few times with this same bag. Never called ahead and never had any issues. I did once fly Air Canada to Vancouver for IMCA and again no issues. Most airlines no longer treat as over sized as long as weight is <50lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing my TT on a plane - reserve in advance or day of check in? [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
I've flown quite a few times with this same bag. Never called ahead and never had any issues. I did once fly Air Canada to Vancouver for IMCA and again no issues. Most airlines no longer treat as over sized as long as weight is <50lbs.

That's interesting. Does that mean you check it in with your other bags? Or still take it to the oversized luggage desk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown with my bike a bunch and have never called ahead, including a flight for IM Whistler via Alaska Airlines. I've never had an issue and it's even counted as my first checked bag (EVOC bike bag). Usually I stuff extra crap in it and had it up to 71 pounds according to Delta's scale and wasn't even charged an overweight fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jpro19 wrote:
steve25 wrote:

That's interesting. Does that mean you check it in with your other bags? Or still take it to the oversized luggage desk?

I check along with any other checked bags and print the luggage tags. Then they always ask me to take it down to oversized luggage to be loaded. but I have never been charged any additional fees. I think it's just because they cannot have that sized bag on the regular belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never called ahead, I also have that bag and it should be regular luggage as long as you don't go over 50lbs as stated above..

even on airlines that charge for bikes, if you pre-buy your luggage (as a regular bag) ahead of time, they will often let it slide as it[s a PITA to refund you the bag you bought and charge you for a bike.
Quote Reply