Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Consider a second opinion.

For the record, EKG's are good for telling if a patient is actively having a heart attack. I give lectures to students on reading EKG's and explain that when a coronary artery becomes totally blocked, as in an MI, the normal EKG changes that occur over the course of minutes to an hour include: flattening of the T wave, then ST depression, then significant ST elevation-usually in multiple leads.

As a screening test for CAD, the EKG is not a great test. An exercise ekg, aka a 'stress test' is ok but still not perfect (Overview of Exercise Stress Testing - PMC (nih.gov) with a sensitivity of ~70% and a specificity of ~85%. Imaging can be added like nuclear imaging (MIBI) or echo and increase the results but still not perfect. (Introduction to exercise stress testing (treadmill test, exercise ECG) – Cardiovascular Education (ecgwaves.com). Stress testing is a risk test which tells about physiology-ie if the heart is struggling for it's own blood and oxygen supply and the doctor can see if there are symptoms that occur with activity.

As I've said before, coronary artery calcium screening can tell if there is ANY cad/plaque there and help with risk assessment and tell how aggressively to treat the LDL cholesterol. Cardiac cath is diagnostic but coronary artery CTA is pretty darn close as an anatomic test.

EKG changes can also occur from microvascular angina where there is not significant blockages but there are EKG changes of ischemia and med Rx can help with this. There can also be changes from significant elevations in the BP affecting the heart but Rx is directed at the BP rather than anti-ischemic meds.

Long term Rx is then decided.

Good luck-

Thanks for chiming in @dtoce. So it sounds like you wouldn't be comfortable ruling out CAD based on the tests results I have (EKG and MIBI) and that the Coronary Calcium Screening would be more definitive.

My LDL levels (3.19 mmol/L) did not seem problematic, and I think that, coupled with being younger and fitter than the vast majority of patients in the cardio clinic, led the cardiologist to focus his attention on the more obvious red flag of the exercise-induced hypertension. I do worry that the evidence seems to suggest that any exercise I've been doing has resulted in unsafe blood pressure levels (the ST-depression occured at 150bpm, which is Zone 2 for me - I'll hold that for hours and hours at a time. A one hour race effort would see me average 180bpm) well exceeding 200, and over the years I feel like atherosclerosis would be a logical consequence of this. Hence CAD seems like it would still be a concern despite what the cardiologist seems to be saying.

So the exercise-induced hypertension, while problematic, may not be the whole story, and a Calcium Scan would be a good idea to see if there really is any CAD going on. Is that an accurate assessment?

I'm on 40mg of Azilsartan now - is it reasonable to expect that this might help the exercise-induced hypertension, or is that only really going to drop my resting blood pressure down a few points? Dropping resting BP down from 138 to 128, for example, is all well and good, but if my BP at aerobic paces drops from 220 to 210, that doesn't really solve my problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just trying to help explain testing and treatment options as well as concerns-

SBP greater than 210 on an exercise treadmill test is considered an 'exaggerated BP response'. It is often a sign of pre-HTN.
I do not know if you do or don't have HTN-that is between you and your doctors-as well as whether you should be on ARB or amlodipine, which I often use in athletes with HTN.

and at 44 years, it would be really unusual to have CAD/plaque (a non 0 number on a coronary calcium score-a 1 would put you in the 75th percentile--that's bad...).
It is more likely to have a false positive ETT....just sayin'

Good luck.
Last edited by: dtoce: Mar 11, 24 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was just coming on here to tell you the same as dtoce, get a 2nd opinion, and from a heart doc that understands the athlete heart. the red flag for me in your description that perhaps your guys is not fully up to speed, was the fact he told you to ignore your own HR max and go with the 40 year old outdated chart that is just an average of the entire population..Guys that dont understand that one simple thing, well I would not trust their advice very far at all.

there are so many anomalies that athletes have that are "normal" for us that the general doc population just dont understand, or care to. Most will treat you like the general population that comes in, and often you get really bad advice. Not saying what you got was bad, I would just call it suspect until I got info from someone like Dale, or like my long time heart doc that does understand the athlete heart and its proclovities..

Thanks Monty. From my interactions with the medical community over the years, I definitely agree with this take. Hoping I can connect with a doctor more familiar with endurance athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ClayDavis,

First - I've been a member for years (maybe a decade now?) but have probably done less than half a dozen posts because I never really have anything to say or ask. But I do think I should chip in here.

I'm a practicing physician, and whilst I'm not a cardiologist by trade I spent multiple years doing post-fellowship training in echocardiography, and am doing my PhD in cardiopulmonary interactions in well/unwell people. This involves doing maximal effort cardiopulmonary exercise tests (CPET, or CPX, depending on which continent you originate from) as part of my clinical practice and my research. These are full dataset (ie all the gas exchange data + BP + 12 lead ECG + oximetry, etc - some clinics that do VO2 max testing don't capture all of that). I won't bore you with the details except to point out a couple of things about that blood pressure response you mentioned:

1. Depending on how it was measured, the potential error in the BP numbers you were told is mmmmaaaassssssssssiiiivvvveeeee. If it was done manually it relies on a person hearing the relevant Korotkoff sounds, and we aren't particularly good at doing that especially when the numbers are really high (that is both BP numbers and HR numbers). If it was done by a machine - they are even dodgier. Not to mention issues with cuff sizing versus your arm size. It sounds like you've had a dobutamine stress echo and a MIBI (you mentioned stress echo with the contrast so you may have meant exercise stress echo with ultrasound contrast such as Definity or similar to get better quality pictures). If you had an actual exercise test on a bike or treadmill then it is far far harder to properly appreciate the real BP.

If you had an arterial line in place and it was properly zeroed - then we'd know what your true BP was.

2. BP is meant to go up with exercise, and there is older data that proposes a rough guide as to what that should be (e.g. 10-20mmHg systolic per MET, or similar depending on what you read). But if you are doing a test that isn't accurately determining workload (i.e. MET) even these rough numbers are harder to apply.

3. We don't actually really know what is 'too high' with exercise. Again, different guidelines, written by different boffins, typically from different continents, all have slightly different values as to what the upper limit of acceptable is. But where did those values come from? 200 sounds like a high number for BP and we get scared about it, but there is no good quality dataset out there that says what is normal. There are datasets of many thousands of people for BP at rest, but such things do not exist for people at maximal intensity exercise.

If I stopped people when they got their BP to 200, or 220, or any other number you choose - I would be doing a lot of submaximal tests. If people have an exagerrated BP response based on trajectory, e.g. goes from 120 at rest to 200 at minimal exercise: that's a different story. But if BP goes up somewhat linearly with workload then that is probably fine: at least there is no data to say it isn't.

(usual "I'm not your doctor, your mileage may vary, don't take medical advice from randoms on the internet" disclaimer to the above)
Quote Reply
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [ben_guts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent post on so many levels. On behalf of all, thank you for weighing in. You, and dtoce are much appreciated.

The initial recommendations to @ClayDavis sounded odd. It is incumbent on medical providers to understand their own limits and be humble enough to explore or seek additional input when providing advice, especially when it has major life altering implications.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart question: ST Depression on stress ECG [ben_guts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really interesting, thanks @ben_guts. Fwiw yes they did it manually (though I thought it was weird the cuff directly over the iv rather than up on the bicep).

I'm trying to get a referral to a sports cardiology clinic now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next