Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Incorporating BarryP Plan into Tri Week
Quote | Reply
For those of you who have successfully incorporated the BarryP Running Plan into your triathlon training schedule, could you share what your basic weekly training schedule looks like? Trying to fit in all 6 runs with bike, swim and strength training on a consistent basis. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Incorporating BarryP Plan into Tri Week [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all explained in the original Barry p posts. I'd recommend going to the source rather than crowd sourcing random input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can either stack a short run to a few bike workouts or use a short run as warm up prior to weight lifting. 20-30 mins would do the trick in both cases
Quote Reply
Re: Incorporating BarryP Plan into Tri Week [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a coach several years back that put me on the BarryP run plan. My schedule looked like a 60-75 minute TrainerRoads work out on Tuesday/Thursday mornings, and a 2-3 hour outdoor bike on Saturday. I did 70 minute Runs on Monday/Wednesday morning and 105 minute run on Friday Morning. I would swim over my lunch hour on Monday/Wednesday and do a 35 minute lunch run on Tuesday/Thursday and run off the bike on Saturday. Sunday is always a rest day for me. Note: I came to triathlon from a 30 year competitive running background. I was just running three days a week before I had a coach with a 45 minute tempo run day, a 75 minute track repeats day, and a 90 minute long run day. I thought I was going to see huge improvements on the run with the BarryP plan but I didn’t. After my year with a coach I kept the higher volume 70 minute week day runs and 105 mi Ute long run but dropped the 35 minute lunch runs. I don’t need to run every day when I am biking and swimming on days I don’t run. That may be because of my strong running background or may be that I need more recovery. Running is going great for me on three days a week running. If I had more time I might go back to BarryP because running is my favorite but I have progressed more on my run with three days a week that I did on six days a week. Also, some prefer to but the long run on Wednesday instead of Friday so their long run and long bike days aren’t back to back. My preference was to put the long days back to back before my rest day.
Last edited by: curtish26: Feb 9, 24 21:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made it work a few years ago, now I'm still running "BarryP" style, but sometimes 5 and sometimes 8 times a week. But always 1 x long, 2 x medium and 2-5 x short.

Monday: AM Short run as WU for strength PM: swim
Tuesday: AM: Hard swim PM: hard bike
Wednesday: AM: Medium run (easy) PM: medium long bike
Thursday: AM: Hard swim PM: medium run (hard)
Friday: AM Short run as WU for strength PM: swim
Saturday: Long bike with RacePace + short run as offbike
Sundag: Long run with RacePace + recovery bike or swim

That's even with a bit of Norwegian Method ;) If you need more hours - just add easy biking on most days.

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Incorporating BarryP Plan into Tri Week [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I've been managing to juggle BarryP running with 3-4 rides per week and 2 strength sessions. Incorporating swimming will come next.
Quote Reply