Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Modern Aero Road Bikes + Clip Ons?
Quote | Reply
Long story short - I haven't purchased a bike in over 15 years and am looking to updgrade my road bike while maintaining flexability to use it in a few tris as needed. Currently riding a ~2007 Felt F1.

I'd like to just buy one of the various 'aero' road bikes now available (i.e. Canyon Aeroroad, Felt AR, etc.), but I'm noticing they have basically all gone to proprietary front-end with foil-shaped basebars and I'm not sure that any would accept clip ons with the stock set-up.

So, does anyone know of any 'aero' road bikes that accept clip-on aerobards off the shelf, or would I need to swap out the basebar on anything regardless? Ideally something that isn't going to void the warranty and/or be risky from a safety perspective.
Last edited by: Josh S: Jan 18, 24 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: Modern Aero Road Bikes + Clip Ons? [Josh S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enve SES aero road bar with matching clip ons if you get a bike with a normal stem/bar interface. This might be the 105/Ultegra model instead of the wamma jamma version with the one piece integrated bar/stem, or you’re just eating the cost of the bar stem upgrade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cervélo S5 should work, the cube litening one can get another cockpit with mounts (if you ask the LBS to install at purchase, that's easiest), the scott foil I believe one can install a syncros tri extension.

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two I know of:
  • Cervelo S5
  • BMC Timemachine Road 01

As both of those bikes were out of my price range - I got a Merida Reacto and Fitted the Vision 4D MAS Dropbars, as it supported the internal cabling routing and can take any of the Vision bars.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen a few of those Quintana Roo road bikes with clip ons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized made a clip-on aero bar for the Venge and I've heard they make an adapter that allows it to fit on the Tarmac SL7 and SL8 (it clamps to the stem not the bars). I haven't seen it in person and I'm assuming you'd need to order the parts through a Specialized shop as they don't seem easy to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Factor Ostro allows you to order black inc bars with mounts for proprietary aerobars. There's only a small upcharge to get the aerobars with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tririg has a new stem that should help you with virtually any road bike that doesn’t have an integrated stem/handlebar.
Quote Reply
Re: Modern Aero Road Bikes + Clip Ons? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Tarmac SL7 with clip-on aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also been looking at potential upgrades to an older Cervelo S5, and the combination of: (1) bikes without a stem that can take the ENVE SES bars + clip-ons I have; (2) aero road bikes that look "less aero"; (3) proprietary systems without clip-on compatibility; has really dampened my desire to get a new bike. That plus the bike shops keep pitching me on comfort, which is a huge turn off.

Did you end up pulling the trigger on any bike?
Last edited by: aravilare: Feb 14, 24 11:03
Quote Reply