Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Form goggles. Did you get faster? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
I didn’t know this!! I presumed incorrectly that an active subscription was required for the TP workout import features to work. Was this a recent change? Don’t you know?

I may have spoken too soon... :(

My expectation was importing a workout would not require a subscription (I'm still in my first year). However, as I did some quick research before replying to your question, I found I was mistaken. The subscription gives you "premium features".

Personally, I'm really bummed about this. I can, of course, use my watch (as in the pre-Form goggle :"old" days) or pretend I'm a real swimmer and use the pool clock and a piece of paper on a kickboard. The goggles will still help keep my pacing straight, show my cadence and provide good data when OWS. Of all the "premium features" I can understand why they are "premium", except for the import. I like the Head Coach, and this may have been enough for me to continue a subscription. I'm not sure what I will do now.

What are the Premium Features?
If you have a subscription, you will be able to access the Premium Features:
  • Workouts library
  • Plans library
  • Custom Workout Builder
  • TrainingPeaks Workout Import
  • HeadCoach™

Without a subscription, you will still have access to*:
  • Real-time activity tracking
  • Pool, open water and swim spa
  • In-app swim analysis

*Subscription activation required, and after the 1-year free trial
The subscription was previously called Membership. Subscription/membership allow access to all Premium Features.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Form goggles. Did you get faster? [FF_Rookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Form goggles and I think I did have improvement from may be 1:35 to 1:30 scy steady interval pace.

I think my biggest issues are form based and I don’t really have anybody to help me improve it. I did a few video analysis sessions throughout the years, but it’s not enough, I need somebody to consistently watch what I’m doing in the pool and monitor progress. I was doing a masters group, but the coach there didn’t relay spend time on us, just gave workouts and sat at the pool.

Form goggles allow me to have some feedback every length. If I’m trying different arm, shoulder or neck movements, I can see which ones lead to better speed at the same effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Form goggles. Did you get faster? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Swim video analysis will make you much faster, sooner, than goggles will especially swimming the pace at which you’re swimming. Instead of buying goggles, buy a GoPro and instead of spending $15 for a monthly subscription, send your video into a coach.

The corrective approach is generally inferior to a process based presentation of fundamentals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the form googles for the past couple of years. I switched from using my Garmin Fenix because I found that swimming with it eventually kills the sensors inside the watch. Form googles were way more affordable then continually having to buy new garmin watches.

The durability is great. Yes I have to use baby shampoo to defog them occasionally but battery life and seals still work great. I swim with them 3/4 weekly.

I don’t use their workouts but the feedback during sessions keeps me consistent and engaged in the workout I am doing.

Am I getting faster….after 58 years of swimming…..they help me hold my own in triathlons and not fall behind if in conjunction I am doing the work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meant to comment on this thread earlier... I don't own Form googles, but my swim partner does and so we follow the Form goggles multi-week workout plans about 90% of the time (or whenever we swim together). We've been following these plans for about a year now. We usually swim three time per week for around 3,000y per session.

Over that time, I would say he's gotten very slightly faster and I would say I have not. But neither of us are spring chickens so perhaps not surprising. Improvement for him would be like holding 1:30-1:31/100 SCY on longer sets or repeats vs 1:31-1:32 previously. His kick with a board and fins which many workouts include has definitely gotten stronger/faster. He cramps less and kicks faster. How much this really translates to a stronger kick or better technique w/o fins while swimming, I can't say. I don't think it's made much of an impact there. He barely kicks when he swims still.

Pros from my perspective to the multi-week pre-fab Form workout plans:

Although mostly focused on freestyle only, sequential workouts have a fair amount of variety, one to the next. You almost never do the same things twice or even repeat in a week or two.

Rest intervals are often shorter and a bit more challenging than something you might do on your own -- might build some fitness

Cons:

Major one is actually the amount of variety one swim to the next and the general lack of continuity. There are fairly random drill sets like one arm or catch up or switch kick tossed in sometimes. But never consistently enough or with enough volume to really build skill and possibly benefit from it.

You might have the occasional workout that includes 3 x 300 or 2 x 800 but most sets are shorter. If you're looking to build real decent speed and endurance, you only really venture over 200 y sets a few times at most over 3-6 week workout plans.

If you saw the recent Gwen Jorgensen/Taylor Knibb swim video which was built around 15 x 200 on 3 (or less), that's the type of workout, if repeated (say) once per week consistently over a training block you might be able to see if you see any consistent improvement or not. Form Google workouts never (or rarely) repeat in that way. One day might be pseudo-distance/endurance and the next sprinting and the following one a lot of kicking or drills. But it's not like you really cycle back through that progression consistently enough to see if you're getting anywhere in particular.

So, from my perspective at least, the training plans are too scattershot, random and non-repetitive to be specifically constructive for the goal of swimming 2k-4k open water a lot faster after several months of using these plans. Maybe your 50, 100 or 200 might speed up a bit. Maybe you could repeat a slightly lower 200 time more consistently. But push out to 1,000 plus -- there's so little, if any, repetition there, that I don't think the Form goggles would make you meaningfully faster than pretty much any program of 3,000y/3 days per week.
Quote Reply

Prev Next