Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar?
Quote | Reply
In St. Augustine Beach area for February and March and thinking about some triathlons. I see most triathlons around the area are done in lakes or rivers. Does anyone know what the typical inland water temps are in that area for Feb-March? Thinking it’s probably wetsuit legal. Looking at the Space Coast Tri in cocoa, fl, any other Tri or Du that should be looked into?
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s the only race I’m aware of in the northeast coast of FL during Feb/March. Space Coast Tri swim is in the Indian River and it will not be warm. Won’t be freezing cold either. No doubt be wetsuit legal.

Also, St. Aug and Cocoa Beach aren’t exactly close to each other. 2.5 hour drive.

This race is in Clermont which is basically same distance from St. Aug as Cocoa Beach: https://sommersportsevents.com/...t-clermont-triathlon

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 6, 24 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was looking at some races in Clermont also. Appreciate the heads up on the distance, it didn’t look that far on the map!
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. Augustine is north Florida and Cocoa is central Florida. It’s a straight shot down 95 and isn’t a bad drive. Getting to Clermont from St. Augustine is more aggravating. I’m looking at the Space Coast race myself. I’ve raced down there before and I love the area. The Indian River will be cool and very much wetsuit legal but it won’t be frigid by any means. The Clermont races are well done and quality races. I’m not a huge fan of that area, though, and I haven’t raced there in a while.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting anywhere in Florida that’s not on or very near to 95, 10, 75, or 4 is annoying as hell. Clermont has the added annoyance of having to navigate through Orlando.

Cocoa is an easy drive from the St. Aug area.

Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Florida. I live in southeastern Georgia, about 100 miles northwest of Jacksonville. I do most of my races in Florida. I wanted to race in Sarasota today but I couldn’t make it work. I used to drive a semi truck into Florida - three trips a week from South Georgia to a variety of places on both sides south of Lake Okechobee. I loved being down there. I’m a reptile guy and thoroughly enjoyed the iguanas, gators, and snakes. There are some crazy birds down there, too. I could draw a line through Orlando in both directions and I could live anywhere below that line. My family has no interest in joining me though.

I love racing down there from October to January. It’s a great way to finish the season.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cocoa race in March is nice. Ive done the duathlon a few times. Its been a wetsuit swim for the triathletes every time.
Great race atmosphere etc....
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the Sommer Sports events have gone really down hill. They also are no longer doing the full distance at Great Floridian in OCT or the 70.3 in March.

To the OP, One race that is pretty fun, and gets a lot of positive feedback is the Cherry Lake Du. I believe the date this year is FEB 10.

If you end up in the Clermont area to race or train, send me a PM and we can link up.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
I’m a reptile guy and thoroughly enjoyed the iguanas, gators, and snakes.

Are there measures taken to minimize interactions between gators/snakes and humans during these races?

I realize this is off topic, but this was my first thought when I read this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No alligators or snakes are going to be near a large group of people gathering for a race. The native wildlife flees from people. If there was a stubborn alligator hanging around the swim start when volunteers got there, they’d get it shoo’d away. And when the swimmers hit the water, everything would flee.

To my knowledge, none of the deaths/injuries during triathlons have come from wildlife.

I’ve been racing in Florida and Georgia for 23 years. I’ve only had one animal interaction during that time - a baby water snake decided to move through the athletes at the swim start of a sprint race in Cordele, Ga., many years ago. I caught it and removed it right before we all hit the water. Just makes you swim a little faster. lol

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt have any issues with snakes or gators in the duathlon. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Robert Preston wrote:
I’m a reptile guy and thoroughly enjoyed the iguanas, gators, and snakes.

Are there measures taken to minimize interactions between gators/snakes and humans during these races?

I realize this is off topic, but this was my first thought when I read this thread.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...tor_attack_1351.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
No alligators or snakes are going to be near a large group of people gathering for a race. The native wildlife flees from people. If there was a stubborn alligator hanging around the swim start when volunteers got there, they’d get it shoo’d away. And when the swimmers hit the water, everything would flee.

To my knowledge, none of the deaths/injuries during triathlons have come from wildlife.

I’ve been racing in Florida and Georgia for 23 years. I’ve only had one animal interaction during that time - a baby water snake decided to move through the athletes at the swim start of a sprint race in Cordele, Ga., many years ago. I caught it and removed it right before we all hit the water. Just makes you swim a little faster. lol

RP

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
I didnt have any issues with snakes or gators in the duathlon. ;)

This would be the option for me in that locale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I will exclusively be racing north of the Mason Dixon line for the forseeable future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:

I will exclusively be racing north of the Mason Dixon line for the forseeable future.

:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t leave without hitting this open water Swim up

Truly awesome

Free
Safe
Decades of history

https://luckyslakeswim.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cherry Lake Du looks interesting. I’m going to bring all my stuff to do a Du or Tri. I drive an hour and a half to some races so the distance from St. Augustine beach doesn’t seem that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

Truly awesome

Free
Safe
Decades of history

Oh thanks, that looks great, definitely worth a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Truly awesome

Free
Safe
Decades of history

Oh thanks, that looks great, definitely worth a look.

It’s outside Orlando though. Driving four hours round trip to swim in a lake when you’ll be minutes from the ocean seems kind of silly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen people water surfing off the beach but the ocean always seemed rough and definitely was cold. Didn’t think it would be safe to swim there alone, even with a floatation buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
Unfortunately, the Sommer Sports events have gone really down hill. They also are no longer doing the full distance at Great Floridian in OCT or the 70.3 in March.

To the OP, One race that is pretty fun, and gets a lot of positive feedback is the Cherry Lake Du. I believe the date this year is FEB 10.

If you end up in the Clermont area to race or train, send me a PM and we can link up.

Kind of hard to continue to stage a full distance triathlon race when you're only getting 25 people to sign up for the Challenge(I know that doesn't count the relays and some other groups) but the logistics and cost of traffic control, volunteers, etc. have to be massive for an event that size.

Plus its not like Clermont is a sleepy hamlet anymore. The car traffic on what used to be quiet roads in Ferndale/Montverde has certainly increased in the past few years with the extension of Hancock road and all the new housing developments that have gone up in the area. The Summer Series is changing to an 8 mile loop and a Sunday date this year which may also be driven by traffic and cost considerations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clear the Swamp!!! UF Gainesville has a Sprint in the 50yd UF pool, ( Katy Ledecky trains there!!) Serpentine swim, self seeded start, nice bike course with a HILL 3x, and the run is through the campus. Supports the UF Tri Team. I have done it twice. Fine race for March in Florida! This year it is Mar. 17th. Just a quick hour drive from SAB. I have stayed and driven over, very doable, no traffic.
http://trigators.com.

Limited field, I think there are 80 spots left in the Sprint...There is a SS, Relay Du....etc... no alligators in the water, just on the sidelines!!
Last edited by: debs1650: Jan 10, 24 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Inland water temps St.Augustine/Cocoa Beach, FL Feb/Mar? [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on low participation count - my comment about Sommer sports going down hill is not in regards to participation, but the actual delivery of their events. It seemed that the events over the last 5 years had gone down hill in terms of quality. I understand that with the cost and lower participants, results in more cuts, but I know a handful of folks that refuse to pay the Sommer Sports pricing for a 70.3 that was nearing some WTC branded events. I looked forward to starting my season off at the 70.3 in March, so sad to see it go (though I would not do the course laid out due to police issues of 7 x 8 mile loops).

Hancock housing development is wild - thankfully lots of great places to ride, and Monteverde, Ferndale, Howey In The Hills are still good riding for the area. Sunday riding has definitely been the best though, especially during football season :)

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply