Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I offload my road bike
Quote | Reply
Ok...so I guess there needs to be a background.

46 year old male. I live in Connecticut. Bc of work and life, all my not spring/summer riding is done early in the morning on my Stages Bike inside. I've even found in the last three years or so that in the Spring I'll do alot of rides inside because it's safer and I can get in done early so I can see all my kids sports games in the morning and afternoon. Also of course for structured workouts the indoor bike is way more efficient. When I do ride outside it's ALL been on my tribike. I have a 2016 Cervelo P2. For races I do lots of 5ks and the local sprint and olympic triathlons.

I have a 2009 Cervelo Carbon Soloist that literally hasn't been ridden in probably 3 years, bc well, I just like the tribike better and I never ride in a group (see time constraints above). Both bike are rim brakes and I'd replace the tri bike with something nicer first (prob in the next 3 or 4 years)...which will of course be a disc brake bike.

The Soloist is in pretty good shape. I know if I sell it I won't get a ton for it, but like it's literally just hanging on the wall in the garage...once again I can't remember the last time I rode it. Is there a reason to keep it around that I am not thinking about?

And yeah yeah Yeah.... I know this goes against the more bikes the better discussions :)
Last edited by: klorene: Dec 27, 23 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Should I offload my road bike [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Less is more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
... it's literally just hanging on the wall in the garage...once again I can't remember the last time I rode it. Is there a reason to keep it around that I am not thinking about?

Fun? I guess you don't think about riding just for fun

Sometimes it nice to just get outside, without structure or intention, slow-pedal along an enjoy the day, which is what a nice road bike can be for (or, in my case, a vintage steel beater)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Should I offload my road bike [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoy riding the tri bike outside.....immensely

Fun is also watching my kids play lacrosse and soccer and swim in swim meets.

Fun is not riding outside when it is dark and dangerous and turning my wife into a widow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's not fun

But on a nice sunny day ... ???

I guess I look at my bikes differently than you do, and that's OK

Also, I don't think that I've ever seen anyone riding a tribike who looked like they were enjoying themself; only doing it because they had to, because it's a necessary part of "the thing" so you're pretty lucky in that respect

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 27, 23 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Should I offload my road bike [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I think it just fits way better. The soloist is probably a size too big for me. Way back when before kids group rides “fit” in my schedule and I enjoyed them.

Nice and sunny days are spent lugging kids all over the state for games…and I’m good with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also got a couple small kids...people get to just ride along on a nice sunny day???? lol maybe one day. For now its dawn patrol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get rid of it if it isn’t being ridden. Then start saving for when you have more time to ride once the kids are doing their own thing.

Now with adult kids I bought a relaxed road bike that has enough tire width I can use it for riding on the roads, switch wheels for gravel and with my wife when she e-bikes on our camping trips and with the grandkids when we go to the park.

Most of my miles are still on my TT bike which I really enjoy riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd save it. I had a similar thought a few years back, was only riding my TT bike, never rode my road bike.

Then I had some mechanical issues with the TT bike, it was out for awhile, was really glad I had the road bike as a backup. I know you have a indoor bike setup already as a backup, but it's still really worthwhile to have an outdoor backup bike if needed especially in the time nearing races where you really need to get outdoors
Quote Reply