Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Anyone try a run-walk-run equivalent on the bike leg where you push X amount of target watts for a certain interval then recover for 30-60s then repeat?

I've never tried this method, but it got me thinking the concept could carry over from running to cycling.

Could you bike more watts overall this way if you targeted the intervals properly?

Maybe someone has already tried?
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Anyone try a run-walk-run equivalent on the bike leg where you push X amount of target watts for a certain interval then recover for 30-60s then repeat?
It's called drafting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a training method to prevent injury and fatigue. Not a race strategy. Running power input to speed is a lot more linear than a bike anyway. So a bike you want max AP not max NP as speed and power are not linear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't a hilly course already include elements of that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a guy named Rich Strauss who used to be associated with Gordo Byrn 15+ years ago suggested this at one point. I’d give it a search and see what pops up but I vaguely remember XX minutes of hard pedaling followed by X minutes of soft pedaling and looking at speed to determine when to get back on the hard pedaling. This was before power became something everyone was equipped with on their bikes so not sure if a different protocol was suggested after power became widely adopted.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with it, but their coaching group had some very very fast athletes at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

I've never tried this method, but it got me thinking the concept could carry over from running to cycling.

Could you bike more watts overall this way if you targeted the intervals properly?

Bike-Walk-Bike wouldn't be very efficient. I think the closest thing you see is in cyclocross. However, they're only getting off because there's some sort of obstacle in the way. Otherwise, walking will just make you lose all momentum...
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [rhdevries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhdevries wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Bike-Walk-Bike wouldn't be very efficient. I think the closest thing you see is in cyclocross. However, they're only getting off because there's some sort of obstacle in the way. Otherwise, .walking will just make you lose all momentum...

Ya, I was waiting for that reply. Ten points to huffelpuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

Could you bike more watts overall this way if you targeted the intervals properly? (no)

Gallowalking is for beginners. While we all have different goals competing in a race, I wouldn't suggest a Gallowalker to participate in a marathon. Nor would I advise a beginner to participate in an Ironman. If the goal is to simply finish then I guess it doesn't matter.

'22 IMMD, '23 SwimRun MD
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [RunnerSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunnerSam wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Could you bike more watts overall this way if you targeted the intervals properly? (no)

Gallowalking is for beginners. While we all have different goals competing in a race, I wouldn't suggest a Gallowalker to participate in a marathon. Nor would I advise a beginner to participate in an Ironman. If the goal is to simply finish then I guess it doesn't matter.

Is it just all hype when they say most runners, even advanced amateurs can improve their times with strategic short breaks? It might just be walking a few stations for instance at the more advanced amateur level in an marathon.

Obviously, there's diminishing returns if you're talking about running sub 2:20 pace marathon or biking sub 5 hours in this hypothetical Ironman tactic. There's only so fast you can go to offset the walk breaks. But there's several hours of of difference between biking 15 minutes faster and setting yourself up for a better run and "just finishing". Cute comments about drafting and walking breaks on the bike aside, I'm a little intrigued and might try it.

The Galloway method is a bit extreme/misnomer sounding applied to cycling as I'm really talking about 30 second "under" periods. I'm wondering look at your average watts you'd like to target and give yourself forty or fifty 30-sec "under" periods where you plan to intentionally ease off 10-20watts and the rest of the time bike an "extra" 5-10 watts sorta thing.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Dec 29, 23 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the answer!

ThailandUltras wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

It's called drafting

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t BestBikeSplits doing something like this already? If your ftp is 250w, you can save some energy by dialing back your reported ftp. Drop your effort from using 250w to 240w and you’ll save energy for the run. With BBS, you can see what the expected time difference would be based on your adjusted power and then decide what you want to do so you maximize the run.

For me, I’ve learned to go out more conservative on the bike (almost too conservative the last two events). I used to go too hard, now it’s too easy so I just have to dial it in a little better.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Isn’t BestBikeSplits doing something like this already? If your ftp is 250w, you can save some energy by dialing back your reported ftp. Drop your effort from using 250w to 240w and you’ll save energy for the run. With BBS, you can see what the expected time difference would be based on your adjusted power and then decide what you want to do so you maximize the run.

For me, I’ve learned to go out more conservative on the bike (almost too conservative the last two events). I used to go too hard, now it’s too easy so I just have to dial it in a little better.

96% ftp during an ironman? definitely that ftp test was done with galloway method 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:

96% ftp during an ironman? definitely that ftp test was done with galloway method 😂

Misunderstood me 😎. When you fill out your current ftp, instead of using your full ftp, use something less. Then when you set the effort level to 80% (for example), it would be off the ftp that is less than what you actually have.

But, of course, if your Norwegian, you can just go 96% of your ftp for a full IM because your saving yourself for the run. 😂

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's an interesting thought. don't know about cycling, but I know the great Roger Bannister discovered in his own lab research that, all else equal, the most economical way to run a given distance was at a constant pace. surges and rests just increase the net energy cost.

the "all else equal" part is easier in track but hard in cycling. maybe we all do some amount of this naturally with hills, headwinds, drafts, etc. but I'd assume (?) that the principle holds and holding constant effort would still cost less energy than repeatedly resting and ramping up.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I will say, is that in a busy mid field, you're going to be a total PITA going fast, dropping into the line, then slowing down and making everyone behind you either run up yer arse, or draft, or have to overtake. Or all 3. Only for the same to repeat ad nauseum through 112 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Galloway Method for Cycling an Ironman? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which would make it the same as every other mid pack half or full. The only reason I improved my swim time was to ride with people who rode consistently.
Quote Reply