Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Entry level TT bike suggestions
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first TT bike. I'm limited by money, so I'm looking at entry level options. Basically my only wish are disc brakes.
Which bikes would be the best value for money? I currently have a 2:20 70.3 bike split and a TT bike is one of the things I'm looking into to improve my time and climb
to the top of my AG.
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [Klemen S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exel Sports

Cervelo p series $2,625 for Shimano 105

Only have a couple left
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also check pinkbike.com and ebay. There are several really fast and adjustable bikes on there for some really good prices

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to find something like a Cervelo P-Series 105 online (check Craigslist) used for closer to $1k. Look at bike brands you like & look at their entry level tri bikes. Try to find a used version of a current or earlier model. Decent bikes come up often enough and they're usually in good condition/without a ton of miles on them. A lot of people turn to triathlon as a bucket list thing and fall out of it & then want to get a little something for their bike but they're not usually looking to scam people. I got an older P2 for ~$1k from an older couple that were giving up training/racing. They were pumped the bike was going to someone looking to get into the sport/not to someone trying to flip it. The money you save with a used ride can be put back into the bike (wheelset). An older frame with a good wheelset is going to be just as competitive with a newer frame/basic wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. The p-series closeout price is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a crazy great price.

How does this stack up against other bikes with aero? I'm tempted to get it and upgrade the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1, determine your tri bike fit (at least dla stating fit). A bike that doesn't fit is less likely to offer good value.

Lots of great info about fit on the site and this forum.

Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Wow, that's a crazy great price.

How does this stack up against other bikes with aero? I'm tempted to get it and upgrade the bars.

One of the VERY best at any price IMO

Yes the price is crazy IMO

Search on goggle under slowtwitch P series

You will see well respected aero testers taking about it
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a message about the Cervelo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have any connection with EXCEL sports

I just happen to see them for sale at a discounted price
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody took the bait?

Already at a 24mph clip without a tri bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you did 2:20 on a road bike? damn. Look used first. plenty of 1 and done iron folks selling out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have a look at the Canyon Speedmax CF7 (Shimano 105 groupset): at $2999 it comes with a powermeter and hydraulic disc brakes. The Cervelo has no powermeter and comes with crappy mechanic brakes
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Canyon Speedmax is definitely on my radar, it's however sold out and there's no info about when it will come back in stock. I'll keep my eyes on it and wanted to hear other opinions in the meantime. Cervelo seems popular as well, other brands haven't been mentioned so far...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your size? Look for used at your budget! Here is a decent bike https://www.facebook.com/...585/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Quote Reply
Re: Entry level TT bike suggestions [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked and keep checking basically all popular exchanges. I know where to look, I'm interested to know what to look for...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt B series.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd start with the ones that will match your baseline fit coordinates and any other constrains and considerations such as your racing type, budget, tyre widths, or need for front end adjustability.

Some bikes are short and tall, some long and low and combinations there of. Picking the wrong one can severely affect your ability to get positioned with your fit and subsequent adjustment.

By way of example, I ride a tall and short frame, but I'm fit for a short and long. This for a few reasons, but mostly my constraint for racing short UCI TT events. But, it's a compromise. If I was racing tri, especially long or middle distance, I'd have a different frame for certain.

And, as an exact opposite example, my son has the same frame and frame size. His fit points to a tall and short frame. But, he's training for middle distance tri and the frame sizing is perfect for him.

On that note, my son and I might be racing some TTTs soon and if so, I'll grab a pic of our bikes just to highlight the differences. Bikes will be setup for our overall racing goals, not the TTT.

Edit to correct wasn't to was.

Last edited by: jasonmac: Dec 30, 23 23:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your budget, I manage Ceepo USA. Happy to first determine your Fit needs and then see if Ceepo would work for you.

Send me a message if you are interested
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check Facebook marketplace and Tri gear selling group often and buy a used Cervelo or something with rim brakes. They are as fast as new ones and don’t cost a lot. After that, you can buy a used disc wheel to upgrade and you are good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana Roo possibly?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply