Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
I've seen the same. It seems those in the market for a TT/Tri bike may want to be able to use it for both and not just tris.

For USA purposes, there aren't that many TTs where you can't use a beam bike. National Championships, and a few other UCI races. USACycling permits beam bikes. I've seen them in the TT stage of the Valley of the Sun Stage Race, for example.
Quote Reply
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
The PxX series was never more aero than the p5 in bike to bike. Was only when you added storage to both then it clawed it back.

Aero data on bikes without storage is pretty erroneous even if you're a pro. But the only ones that stripped down aero scores would matter for would be pros at the 70.3 distance and not 95% of amateur racers. If Aero is your number one priority because you think you're "there".

Biggest factor for me remains cost since most front end bikes are "close enough". But once you spend 8k on a bike you keep it for a long time.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
applenutt wrote:
I've seen the same. It seems those in the market for a TT/Tri bike may want to be able to use it for both and not just tris.

For USA purposes, there aren't that many TTs where you can't use a beam bike. National Championships, and a few other UCI races. USACycling permits beam bikes. I've seen them in the TT stage of the Valley of the Sun Stage Race, for example.

USA cycling requires a double diamond frame for time trials. That’s the rule, but I don’t know how much it’s enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:

USA cycling requires a double diamond frame for time trials. That’s the rule, but I don’t know how much it’s enforced.

It's not a USACycing rule. Section 11 of the USACycling regs makes no mention of double diamond.

USACycling does have a regulation where they're required to add in UCI regulation for some types of events.

Below was stolen from 2023 Masters Nationals rules.

Quote:
Per USA Cycling regulations, these additional UCI regulations will be in effect for mass start events and individual time trials:
• Bicycle frames must be of double triangle construction.
• Wheels must be of the same diameter, between 550 and 700 cm.

But for all non-nationals, non National Team selection events, it's not a USA Cycling requirement. You may run into race directors who decide to add it in as their own rule, at their discretion. I've raced against P5Xs and Dimonds in USAC events for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

More likely IMO is few people want to buy an out of production bike that uses proprietary parts [that you can’t get if they break] at a premium price.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
applenutt wrote:

It's not a USACycing rule. Section 11 of the USACycling regs makes no mention of double diamond.

USACycling does have a regulation where they're required to add in UCI regulation for some types of events.

Below was stolen from 2023 Masters Nationals rules.

Quote:
Per USA Cycling regulations, these additional UCI regulations will be in effect for mass start events and individual time trials:
• Bicycle frames must be of double triangle construction.
• Wheels must be of the same diameter, between 550 and 700 cm.

But for all non-nationals, non National Team selection events, it's not a USA Cycling requirement. You may run into race directors who decide to add it in as their own rule, at their discretion. I've raced against P5Xs and Dimonds in USAC events for sure.

Got it. All
Makes sense. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Are 4 year old beam bikes still more aero than today's super bikes? [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, Ceepo have re-released the Shadow, not with the weird fork but the standard one and they've now hidden the front brake cable. It would be great to see some aero figures on the Shadow and the Dimond Mogul/Ikon, just to see whether there is anything to be gained by these frames now that they've had a few iterations in their design. From what has been said here, the Ventum isn't all that slippery so perhaps removing tubes (such as seat tube or seat stays) is slightly overrated (with weight and handling issues - but maybe their application is on flat courses), and the focus should be on optimal tubes or placement thereof, such as the Ku.
Quote Reply

Prev Next