Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does "Running Index" have any value?
Quote | Reply
I was looking at my Strava with Elevate this morning and was reflecting on "Running Index".

Is there really any value to this number, other than a rough guide to one's improvement on fitness/speed? When I look at the charts for giving estimates on event times, I really question the value.

For example, I did a 7k tempo/sub-tempo run yesterday after a 1k warmup, followed by a 1k CD. I'm 63yo, have my weight and HR zones set correctly and ran the first 6k around a 9:50/mi pace and the 7th k around a 9:00/mi pace. Elevate said my RI was 52.2. This is a nice number for a 63yo, no doubt, but the estimated OHM of 1:52 seems like a dream to me. Besides HR zones and pace, is there another setting that I'm missing?

My "A" OHM is in Feb. Last year I finished in 10:04 pace and have put in a lot of work all year building my base. I'm training around 9 hours a week with at least one easy 3k swim and one easy hour bike. I did a "B" (7RPE) race 10k on Thanksgiving with 550ft of climbing in 56:42.So I am making progress.

But a 8:40/mi OHM pace just doesn't seem possible. So, the value of RI seems very low.

Garmin estimates my VO2 at 42, with a 2:13 half and 58:08 10k. So, Garmin estimates are lower than I can do.

When your inexperienced, as I am, how do you choose a pace? I want my OHM to be a negative split, with a time as fast as I am capable. The race is very, very flat with only 70ft of climbing and the temp is generally around 40-45 (4c-6c). So, the race is set up for PRs.

What do you experts and experience people think?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply