Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muscle Scraping
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, I went into the local REI store and started talking to the customer rep in the shoe department. I was wearing a marathon finisher's shirt and she told me that she ran Berlin and New York this year. I mentioned that my achilles tendon hurts after running and she suggested that I try "Muscle Scraping". What is muscle scraping?

For post workout, I have the Stick, Rollers, stretch bands, hyperice massage gun and a hard lacrosse ball -- but have never heard of muscle scraping. She also mentioned that she uses a tool from a company called Sidekick. After google searching a lot, watching videos, and then consulting with my niece, who is a Physical Therapist, it appears that the products from Graston and Hawk Grips are for Physical Therapists and contain about 8 different massage tools, with a cost of roughly $3,000 US. The Sidekick tool appears to be for weekend warriors and costs about $200 for 2 pieces. And then I did an Amazon search and found a similar scraping tool (made in China) for about $20.

Has anybody tried muscle scraping (either by self treatment or thru a PT)? Any suggestion/recommendations?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle Scraping [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do it all the time. But I had a muscle issue near my hip that was frustrating me as it wasn't getting better. I bought and used the scraper for a week and it went away.
N=1, who knows if it was already mostly better and just got better with time anyway, etc. etc.

I can say that scraping isn't as satisfying as any kind of massage or stretching or other recovery tools so it's not one I resort to unless I'm out of options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a tool made about 20 years ago, when I didn't want to pay the Graston rate. A buddy of mine got the Sidekick kit, I tried it, and it worked better than my homemade set. I have also tried some Chinese knockoffs. Sidekick is the best value, and will compliment all your other tools. Each has it's own place and application. Nothing eliminates any other tool. Highly recommend it. They will probably have a 20% sale after Christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graston technique. Yes, I've had success with it. I've seen 3 chiropractors to have it done on my achilles. Only one of them scraped well/strong enough to improve my symptoms. When it worked for me the pain during the scraping was a 9/10 and we took breaks so I could manage 5-10 mins of it. I then bought a tool to do it on myself which feels about half as effective. You may find PT's and other professionals that strongly disagree with Graston scraping but I it worked great for me. I also know two adults (overweight women) who had their plantar fasciitis relieved by doing a few scraping sessions from the same chiro. They described it as "the most pain I've had since child birth".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep -- it's Graston for amateur self-use without the high price tag. I picked one up years ago for my achilles that isn't even steel. I will say that the achilles is still incredibly tough to get right without doing a ton of strength work. I would think of a tool like this as an aid instead of a solution. Heel drops & hip/glute work are still on the docket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After months of Achilles trouble I used a voodoo band flossing and it was fine 5 days later. Also did

Never a problem again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a couple months with almost 0 running this summer due to insertional achilles tendonitis. What have you tried? I'll see if I can add anything that might help you. Do you have insertional or the more common non insertional type?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Muscle Scraping [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tiger,

About a year ago, the MRI diagnosed a stress fracture in my right heel and also a bad case of achilles tendonitis. The ortho doctor had me on Diclofenac (anti inflammatory) and wearing a boot for about 6 weeks. Aftwerwards, I went to PT, did stretches galore as well as trying to build up the strength in my calf/achilles. I've also consulted Dr. Google, and watched about 100 YouTube videos to obtain additional physical therapy suggestions/ideas.

At this point, I train with (2) 4 mile runs a week and just ran a 1/2 Marathon on Sunday (Jacksonville, Florida). My strategy has been to swim, bike, row, stretch, yoga, lift weights occasionally and then just rely on muscle memory to get thru the run. I finished in 2 hours and 2 minutes, which isn't fast buy isn't terribly slow. However, Monday, Tuesday and today are just pain days until the swelling goes down.

For 2024, I have a 1/2 Ironman (OnondagaMan) in June and then Lake Placid Ironman in July. Thus, I have time to try something new, recover and still can prepare for summer races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
About a year ago, the MRI diagnosed a stress fracture in my right heel and also a bad case of achilles tendonitis. The ortho doctor had me on Diclofenac (anti inflammatory) and wearing a boot for about 6 weeks. Aftwerwards, I went to PT, did stretches galore as well as trying to build up the strength in my calf/achilles. I've also consulted Dr. Google, and watched about 100 YouTube videos to obtain additional physical therapy suggestions/ideas.

At this point, I train with (2) 4 mile runs a week and just ran a 1/2 Marathon on Sunday (Jacksonville, Florida). My strategy has been to swim, bike, row, stretch, yoga, lift weights occasionally and then just rely on muscle memory to get thru the run. I finished in 2 hours and 2 minutes, which isn't fast buy isn't terribly slow. However, Monday, Tuesday and today are just pain days until the swelling goes down.

For 2024, I have a 1/2 Ironman (OnondagaMan) in June and then Lake Placid Ironman in July. Thus, I have time to try something new, recover and still can prepare for summer races.

Well, I can tell you what I've done and/or heard and maybe it will help.
1. Nearly 3 months no running, maybe 2.5 without biking. I would have biked earlier but didn't know that apparently it is more achilles-friendly (this was the opinion of my very very excellent PT, who I can put you in touch with if you like)
2. Bought portable ultrasound machine for about $100 and used that daily for about a month in there
3. Cried
4. A suggestion was to get shoes that rub the achilles less to decrease friction. I never did this because I didn't think friction was the issue (I had insertional achilles pain, not straight up the back of the tendon). Nike free that is made with mesh appear to be good for this. There's another shoe I saw too, the name of which I can't think of, reply if you want it bc I took a photo in the store and can find it for you. I think this might maybe help you!
5. I worked w a super super smart PT. He works with people online. Again, PM me for his name
6. When I started running again we started with run walk. The resting, and this, I think, were key.
7. I foam roll the F out of my calves. Stretching is contraindicated if you have insertional achilles pain
8. Have you ruled out haglunds deformity? I think that's what it's called when extra bone grows
9. I have a very small heel lift in my shoe. Since mine is insertional, it's like half a heel lift, on the affected side.
10. Crying, but more of it
11. Collagen supplement. This is probably a placebo effect.
12. Have you looked at foot stability stuff at all with your PT? If not lmk and I'll find a name of someone I follow on insta who is good with that stuff
13. Ate some feelings. This did not help

That's all I can think of right now.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply